Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have songs stuck in your head all the time?

• 25-11-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭

I do. And I mean ALL the time! Usually I don't pay much attention to them, but I had a couple of good ones today. I had the meow, meow, meow, meow song while I was walking home in the rain. I have Flash Gordon going on in there now, and earlier on I was pleasantly surprised to have Pink Floyd's Is There Anybody Out There playing around. Sometimes when there's a song in my head I hum the odd bit along without realising, which my friends really love (sarcasm!). I have no idea where most of these songs come from, but whenever I hear a repetitive noise like an alarm or a humming wire, it turns into the beat of a song in my head. I had a really cool boat journey a while ago where the motor noise turned into the funky jazz tune.

Does anybody else have it this bad? I suppose I should just be grateful it's not voices!! :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i have tunes playing in my head nearly all the time. sometimes even when i'm asleep!! can hear songs in dreams ..
    we've the radio on for the dog (ugh!), so i hear tunes as i pass by, and so while on the bog this morning i had that bum direction song in my head :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

I'm the same. It doesn't take much for something to trigger a change in tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

YES! It can be very irritating. Terrible songs too - I hardly dare mention it but 'Clementine' (Oh me darling, oh me darling etc) is one that sticks with me. I hum whatever is in my mind interminably - my kids discovered that if they sang, very quietly, a single bar of another song I would change tune without noticing, then they would fall about laughing when it worked.

My rather more musically inclined daughter gets aggravated because apparently I change key to make tunes go round in circles. If I had to listen to myself I would drive myself mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Get it sometimes 'Bird is da Word' is the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I had Tom Waits' Chocolate Jesus stuck in my head for a few hours today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

For some reason I have Joseph Gordon Levitt singing R Kelly's Ignition stuck in my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

We'll see those slaybells ringin and ding ding dingin along...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

'What do you want from me' (Monaco)

The magic of Tolka Park :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Yes I often do. Lately it has been either Enrique Iglesia's songs, adele, the kings of leon and James Arthurs songs not just those songs but the way he sings them! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 OldBoro

Two words Doc McStuffins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Aaargh no, don't mention them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Is it always the most hateful songs out there that get stuck in your head?

Not all bad songs get stuck in my head, I had Athlete's you got the style stuck in my head for days, blotted out everything else :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I usually have tunes in my head too, but probably not to quite the extent that you describe.

If you ever get an annoying tune in there and can't shift it, try humming the riff from "Smoke on the Water" a few times. It will dislodge any other tune, but won't stay in there itself. I don't know why.

It's magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Ah yay \o/. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this! Now, does that mean I'm normal or that you're all just bonkers? :p
    looksee wrote: »
    my kids discovered that if they sang, very quietly, a single bar of another song I would change tune without noticing, then they would fall about laughing when it worked.

That's hilarious and pure evil! I love it!
    ToddyDoody wrote: »

Come on it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you. La la la. Right, that's Flash Gordon replaced anyway!

The worst is actually when you don't know the words so there's just a jumble of la di da dum dum going on. Or when you only know one line of a song so it just goes over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

I usually have tunes in my head too, but probably not to quite the extent that you describe.

If you ever get an annoying tune in there and can't shift it, try humming the riff from "Smoke on the Water" a few times. It will dislodge any other tune, but won't stay in there itself. I don't know why.

It's magic.

Really? I just tried that and now I have the riff in my head. I'll have to see if it stays there and report back on this experiment. I don't mind though - rocking tune!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Not all the time but most days I have at least one song going around in my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Lollers wrote: »
    Get it sometimes 'Bird is da Word' is the worst.

oh now its in my head after reading that ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Literally every minute of the day. At the moment it's Somebody that I Used to Know.
    Unfortunately I'm not always so lucky... This time last week it was Oppan Gangham Style...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

My mind is like a jukebox at the best of time. Currently vying for the top spot is Harry Belafonte's "Jump In The Line" and Queen's "Somebody To Love".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

All the time.:cool:

• Advertisement

All the time. Sometimes I can have the same ones stuck in my head for days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Do you have songs stuck in your head all the time?

yes, all day every day. In fact I sometimes have my headphones on with no music coming out of them, probably just listening to the song in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Why does it feel so good but hurt so bad
    Oh oh oh
    My mind keeps saying
    Run as fast as you can
    I say I'm done but then pull me back
    Oh oh oh
    I swear you're giving me a heart attack
    Troublemaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I'm always getting songs stuck in my head.
    Today it has been She's got a Motorcycle by Frankie Cocozza:rolleyes:
    I always used to get Strangers in the Night stuck in my head whilst packing my shopping at the checkout, I really don't know where that came from:confused:. I used to hum along to it, I think it may have helped me pack quicker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Secret smile by the semisonics. I last heard it when it was played regularly on the radio, so fecking ages ago. It pops into my head every few days. so damn catchy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

So, there ye go. Who needs itunes? AH is a regular den of jukeboxes:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

All the time. I even wake up with a song in my head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Constantly have songs going around my head. And my head has no taste in songs - it could be something good or tripe.

A few years ago I trained myself to sing Joe South's 'Games People Play Now' -

I was working in an office and was being bullied; every time this girl would start I would start singing this song to myself. It helped a lot. It was a way of getting some power back as there was fcuk all I could do about the bullying at the the time.
    A year or two ago, I started singing the song again and was trying to work out why - I was scanning everything that happened over the previous day or two. I eventually worked out what had happened, someone had been really mean, that I could have looked at as bullying, my sub-conscious had make the connection, when consciously I hadn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Lars1916 wrote: »
    'What do you want from me' (Monaco)

The magic of Tolka Park :D

At least Shels play the odd decent tune. They might get some decent football on soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Some people in here in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

73Cat wrote: »
    I always used to get Strangers in the Night stuck in my head whilst packing my shopping at the checkout, I really don't know where that came from:confused:. I used to hum along to it, I think it may have helped me pack quicker...

Jesus, I used to work for a fella who would always sing that song when he was laying people off used to scare the sh*t out of us !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I do. And I mean ALL the time! Usually I don't pay much attention to them, but I had a couple of good ones today. I had the meow, meow, meow, meow song while I was walking home in the rain. I have Flash Gordon going on in there now, and earlier on I was pleasantly surprised to have Pink Floyd's Is There Anybody Out There playing around. Sometimes when there's a song in my head I hum the odd bit along without realising, which my friends really love (sarcasm!). I have no idea where most of these songs come from, but whenever I hear a repetitive noise like an alarm or a humming wire, it turns into the beat of a song in my head. I had a really cool boat journey a while ago where the motor noise turned into the funky jazz tune.

Does anybody else have it this bad? I suppose I should just be grateful it's not voices!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I've currently got the music from the restruant tango scene in The Addams Family Values stuck in my head... great bit of music, that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Yup. It comes in handy when my MP3 player dies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Yep this happens a lot to me. And the music can vary hugely. I had "Moves like Jagger" stuck for ages, and one of my friends knew about it, and would always remind me about it, putting it back in my head.

The current song that's stuck in there is Harvester of Sorrow....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

For some unknown reason Smashing Pumpkins track Siva often starts playing in my head. Also B52s Love Shack.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭amallon

I like to whistle. Usually its either flower of Scotland or Farewell my boston rose. Strange..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

"Hey hey, what do you say
    Come along and play with The Tweenies"

Saw them live a couple of years back in the Olympia Theatre, not a bad show, though I have to say that they used every cheap trick in the book to rabble-rouse the audience into an aggressive frenzy, they'd put The Wolf Tones to shame, although, that said, the Tweenies' lyrics are probably not as childish as those of The Wolf Tones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you've seen the movie Touching the Void, Joe Simpson talks about facing death/ insanity to the tune of Brown Girl in the Ring. Whenever I've faced a crisis, I've always found myself replaying songs that irritate me ad nauseum too.

This year I found my own mountain having to haul my battered carcass overland across the length of Nepal to Kathmandu for over a fortnight for shoulder surgery after a bike accident and I had this:

going round my noodle for almost two weeks. I heard this on the radio the other day and I just shuddered.

I always have some tune rattling round my head. I've never been without one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Yeah, all the time.
    But for me, noises don't trigger it - usually either something someone says, or if I read something written somewhere, then I'll go off singing in my head and then a minute later realise I haven't been listening to what the person is saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Fraggle rock is always in my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I keep getting terrible songs stuck in my head but sung by odd people. That song Luka gets stuck in my head but as sang by Arnold Schwarzenegger, I get that song "all by myself" stuck in my head but it's sang by a farmer. The farmer can change from Mayo, to Cavan even Yorkshire sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I won't let the Sun go down on me by Nik Kershaw, Stuck in my head all morning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 hay_maker

cant get that tyler swift song out of my head

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I once had I Like Chinese stuck in there for four months straight. Drove me nuts. I still love the song though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    SEXXYYYYYYLAAAAAADDDDDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I currently have the acoustic version of Pokerface stuck in my head. A great song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Mine vairies from day to day, but today i have Pitbull: Back in time going through my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

There was something in the air that night, the stars so bright, Fernando

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy

:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement