Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How safe are spot-on flea treatments?

• 25-11-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

I give my cat a spot-on flea treatment every month. She has never had fleas and rarely goes beyond the back garden so her chances of getting them are slim. It is a prevention as she has FIV and the vet told me she doesn't want her getting a flea bite. However, I put the spot-on treatment on the back of her neck yesterday and she was definitely off form after and even today I can smell the strong insecticide smell from her. Just looking for other people's opinions on these treatments.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Hi Angeline, I think it depends on which treatment you use and how the cat reacts to it. I use Advocate for cats over 4 kilos and my 2 are fine on it. One of my cats was feral and he hates having it although it doesn't seem to cause any physical problems, that I'm aware of. I have to be very sneaky when I do his as if he smells it he does a runner. Right now it's in my pocket waiting for the right moment for me to get him when he's still drowsy after a nap otherwise I've no chance of getting it on him:)

My brother used the Advocate on his 3 and recently one of his developed a bald spot after it so I think he's going to use a different brand. I suppose its just a matter of finding the best one for your cat. Are you using one based on weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

there won't be any fleas around outside for her to catch at this time of year - it's overkill to use it in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Fleaing cats with FIV is important because it can be spread through flea bites. Some of them stink, others aren't as bad. I have found that they can cause a mild irritation on the place it is applied, itching etc. It is cold at the moment so it's not likely that your dog will get fleas, but because your cat has FIV it would be a good idea to keep on top of it. There are edible flea treatments but I'm not sure if they would be suitable for your situation. It would probably a good idea to talk to your vet about it, explain your concern and they may be able to recommend a product that would suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

planetX wrote: »
    there won't be any fleas around outside for her to catch at this time of year - it's overkill to use it in the winter.

This is probably very true in my cat's case as being realistic she does not go outdoors in the winter. Even if I open the patio door for her she has no interest so it may be overkill alright. I use Frontline Combo which is what the vet gave me. I think the vet was more worried about something that my cat can catch from a flea bite and having FIV her system is that bit weaker. I may skip it next month as she will be indoors all the time so it's probably not necessary.

Advertisement