Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais reconnection fee

Options
  • 25-11-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a bit of a dilemma. I am a new tenant in the house and I got billed to pay a reconnection fee because the last tenants didn't pay and got disconnected. I am wondering is it not the landlords responsibility to pay the fee and not me the tenant?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

karen4493 wrote: »
    I have a bit of a dilemma. I am a new tenant in the house and I got billed to pay a reconnection fee because the last tenants didn't pay and got disconnected. I am wondering is it not the landlords responsibility to pay the fee and not me the tenant?
    Is this on top of the Bord Gais deposit?

I honestly don't know. I would assume the LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

This is certainly not your responsibility.

I had a row with Bord Gais when I was leaving a rented property about nine months ago--apparently I didn't give them sufficient notice (when I HAD) and they threatened to disconnect me over it.
    I told them there would be new tenants arriving soon and they changed tack and told me that when they moved in, the Landlord should submit their details and the account would be taken over.

To summise, it's not YOUR job to pay this, absolutely not.
    Reconnection should be the Landlord's job.

PS When I say "submit the new tenants' details", I don't mean you have to pay it..you usually take over the account from the previous tenant but if it's a case of reconnection, that's the LL's responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

can't be you who's paying this. you just moved in and didn't do anything wrong.

the LL has to pay it and it's his hassle to get it back from his former tenant (deduct it from the deposit)

Advertisement