Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Component grading?

Options
  • 25-11-2012 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭

I've been looking through my grades for the semester and a lot of my lecturers have decided to grade our assignments throughout the year with just a grade rather than a numerical score. I want to work out how much these are all worth so I did some searching and found that UCD used a separate method of grading for the entire module vs each individual part. To quote this UCD PDF:

Where a component is marked rather than graded then the overall component mark is retained in
    calculating the final grade.

Where a component is graded rather than marked, the calculation point (as shown on the component
    grade scale on page 5) is used in calculating the final grade.

It then gives a table of what each "calculation point" is.

The thing I'm wondering about is that the highest calculation point (which corresponds to A+) is 78.33%. Does this mean that the maximum a student can get on these assignments is 78.33% and that even if they actually got 100%, they still lose marks from the total grade at the end?

Like for example, if an assignment is worth 30% of the total module and a student gets 100% in this assignment, do they still only have 24% going into the exam?

If so this seems like a terrible system since students can lose marks simply by the way that their lecturer decides to show their grades.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Yep, it happened to me last year, got 100% on a quiz, was given the 78.33% which means overall for the module I ended up with an A instead of an A+. It sucks. Doesn't happen in all subjects so check with the lecturer themselves.

Advertisement