Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fat-Boy looking to reform.

• 25-11-2012 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭

Okay firstly sorry for being lazy and not looking over, what I'm sure is a myriad of threads on this subject. Anyway here goes!

I'm 32, 6'2" tall and roughly 18 stone - my BMI puts me just inside the obese zone. I'm under the advise of a doctor for an under-active thyroid and I can be a bit irregular in taking my medication. (Eltroxin 50mg). The doctor has told me I'd do well to loose weight, but thinks any sensible diet would be grand rather than a need to see a professional. So I'm hoping you folks might be able to give me some pointers. I'm not looking for anything drastic - just some ideas.

I gorge in the evenings; literally I can't stop eating. I suppose this is my first question - other than pure willpower how do I address this? Many Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

To start, give us a bullet point breakdown of what you eat and at what you eat it time for a typical day. Then we can start. List any allergies you have or food you absolutely will not touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

To start, give us a bullet point breakdown of what you eat and at what you eat it time for a typical day. Then we can start. List any allergies you have or food you absolutely will not touch.

I'm pretty irregular in my eating - probably most of the issue. Sometimes I can go most of the day without eating other days I'll have a full cooked breakfast. For Lunch normally a Spar Roll - Salami, Peppers, Red Onion and cheese. Occasional Burger from the college canteen.

Dinners anything from veggie (to-fu / quorn) to steak and ceaser salad - fair amount of roast dinners. I'm not a particularly fussy eater.

Hope that's some help - Thank you for the response! :) Let me know if I can give any more info.

PS I'm not really hungry in the mornings - ravenous in the evenings and I literally eat everything in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I'm pretty irregular in my eating - probably most of the issue. Sometimes I can go most of the day without eating other days I'll have a full cooked breakfast. For Lunch normally a Spar Roll - Salami, Peppers, Red Onion and cheese. Occasional Burger from the college canteen.

Dinners anything from veggie (to-fu / quorn) to steak and ceaser salad - fair amount of roast dinners. I'm not a particularly fussy eater.

Hope that's some help - Thank you for the response! :) Let me know if I can give any more info.

PS I'm not really hungry in the mornings - ravenous in the evenings and I literally eat everything in sight.

Do you know what's causing the hypothyroidism?

Some things to do is to avoid wheat and gluten, don't just go for the gluten free stuff either have those as a treat.
    Avoid tofu and anything containing soy.
    Those things can do harm to your thyroid and set you back.
    For weight loss try and pick up ingredients rather than products(if it has a long list of ingredients then avoid it)

You will have some mishaps along the way, don't worry about it and don't let it happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Orla K wrote: »
    Do you know what's causing the hypothyroidism?

Some things to do is to avoid wheat and gluten, don't just go for the gluten free stuff either have those as a treat.
    Avoid tofu and anything containing soy.
    Those things can do harm to your thyroid and set you back.
    For weight loss try and pick up ingredients rather than products(if it has a long list of ingredients then avoid it)

You will have some mishaps along the way, don't worry about it and don't let it happen again.

I'm not sure but I know both my mother and father suffer from thyroid problems so I'm assuming it genetic - I will ask the doc next time I see him. Thanks for the advice certainly somewhere for me to start my research. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Have a look here there's a little info there about hypothyroidism and a few links to loads of info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement