Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charge back on Visa Debit card.

Options
  • 25-11-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a Permanent TSB visa debit card, if I buy something online and don't get the item(not using paypal) can I file for a chargeback?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

dman15333 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a Permanent TSB visa debit card, if I buy something online and don't get the item(not using paypal) can I file for a chargeback?

Thanks

Not as far as I know but open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions.

OP - the best thing to do is contact card services at Permanent TSB in the morning and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It is possible, yes.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    It is possible, yes.

Any link to this please - I'm not disputing you I'd just like to be educated in the ways of the debit card charge back. I thought Credit Card charge backs were by virtue of section 14 of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 and only applied where 'credit' was used. Corrections most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Any link to this please - I'm not disputing you I'd just like to be educated in the ways of the debit card charge back. I thought Credit Card charge backs were by virtue of section 14 of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 and only applied where 'credit' was used. Corrections most welcome.
    From PTSB website:
    What extra protection does Visa Debit offer me?

''If you make purchases with your Visa Debit Card and they show up damaged or not at all, then we may be able to help you recover your money in the event that you have not received a satisfactory resolution from the retailer.''

• Advertisement

From PTSB website:
    What extra protection does Visa Debit offer me?

''If you make purchases with your Visa Debit Card and they show up damaged or not at all, then we may be able to help you recover your money in the event that you have not received a satisfactory resolution from the retailer.''

Do you/anyone know if this is just a service provided or whether there is a legal obligation to do so? Does it only apply to TSB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Do you/anyone know if this is just a service provided or whether there is a legal obligation to do so? Does it only apply to TSB?

For a retailer/merchant to be authorised/approved to accept Visa Credit/Debit cards they are legally bound by Visa's T&Cs, which include the chargeback facility for disputed transactions.

If a query or dispute cannot be resolved by the retailer or merchant, then the cardholder can contact their card issuer to initiate chargeback procedures.

In line with the requirements and circumstances set out in Visa’s rules and regulations, the cardholder may request that their card issuer takes up the dispute and seeks financial redress on their behalf.

It's a facility provided by Visa Europe, so all Visa Debit Cards are covered, regardless of individual banking institutions/card issuers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed, nothing to do with local laws as such but a requirement of the Visa scheme.

Advertisement