Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best scam you ever heard of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

foxy06 wrote: »
    Man walks into a pub with 2 kids and asks the Barman if he does off sales. He gets a few bottles of spirits and some crates of beer. He orders 2 bags of crisps and some lemonade for the kids and said he will leave them there and settle up the lot together. Asks Barman to give him a hand bringing the booze out to his car. Barman ran in to get the last of the items and two lads still sitting chatting away to each other when he brings out the last crate. when he gets back out car is gone. Barman goes back in and two lads still sitting there. He asks where their dad is gone and they reply " he's not our dad he just asked us outside if we wanted crisps and lemonade." Heard this years ago. Not sure if 100% true bit cute git if it was!
    you didnt hear this in Galway by any chance?it happned to a relative of mine in Galway 20 odd years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

bohsman wrote: »
    We both put €20 into a matchbox, then you buy the matchbox off me for €30.

You made it sound more elaborate.

Who would be silly enough to fall for that!?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

* Start a charity, pay yourself six figures. Give the rest to charity.

* Claim to know about the afterlife. Market it.

* Learn some cold reading techniques and pretend to be a psychic.

* Become a hypno-anything. Charge to help people quit smoking, loose weight, feel better. Also sell tapes and mp3s online.

* Sell products that can't possible work. Magnets that cure cancer or some herbal crap to cure baldness.

* Collect money 'for your religion'

* Sell 'fake' autographed sports memorabilia on your website. Offer a 100% refund for any item that fails verification by an expert. 90% of customers won't pay for an expert to inspect it, if someone does, refund the money.

* Sell open source software on a website. Spam it all over the place. So long as you include the original source, you aren't breaking the law, and anyone stupid enough to pay for it isn't going to figure it out.

* Buy a receipt printer. Use it to create receipts that appear 100% authentic to use for whatever you can imagine. For example - most places will only exchange software/media for the same title. So you buy some new game, install it, then take it back saying there is something wrong with the disk and you want an exchange. They'll give you a new copy of the game - but they'll almost always give you a new receipt or draw/mark up your old one. Then you go home and recreate the original receipt. Now you return to the store (preferably a different branch of the same store) with the unopened game and the receipt. Then tell that store your Grandmother got it for you not realizing you already have it. Be sure to point out you haven't opened it. Now you get your money back or a store credit and you repeat.

* If you don't use wifi or if you have an extra (or just fancy) router - you can give out free wifi. Without encryption, if you live in the city, it won't be long before people start to connect and use it. Naturally, you'll be sniffing their traffic and collecting username/passwords, performing MITM attacks on HTTPS and logging all of it. It's insane how many people will connect to an open network and then think that as long as they see 'https://' they can do anything and be safe. They'll gladly say 'OKAY' to any certificate warnings that pop up and do online banking and everything else you can imagine - all on your network.

* Get a legit student-id when you aren't a student (so you can get student discounts). There are lots and lots of universities all over the world that are now offering online degrees. Many of them are also traditional universities. If you have a student's name and id number; you can fax in a request and include your picture and ask them to mail an ID to you. Granted, you need some information and some balls to do it; but it absolutely does work. The best part is - they charge the student's account that you are faking! I know the specifics of one university where this would work - but I'm sure lots of others are the same.

The downside is, you are sending in a picture of yourself for it to look real. Anyway, take your fake student id, print out a fake class schedule, and get yourself a 100% legit student travel card. Enjoy discounts on everything.

* Get a friend (who is in on the scam) who is going out of town and has his own place. While he's gone (perfect alibi), you 'break in', take pictures of the place, and list it on Daft.ie or some other website. List it at a reasonable, but low price to get lots of interest. With the rental market how it is, you'll have a lot of interest (assuming your in a city). People will show up with money in hand to secure the place. Anyway, people will say, 'We'll take it' and you'll say, 'Okay - sounds good. I'll just need your deposit...and you can move in anytime after Monday.' Then you take their money and write a rent-receipt, give them a copy of the lease to 'look over' and sign and say you'll be there on Monday (or whenever they want to move in) to sign the lease.

Naturally, you take their money. With any luck you'll get quite a few people paying deposits or parts of deposits and expecting to move in. All the information you give them is fake and when they come back to the house, your friend is there and says he knows nothing about anything. Gardia gets called and they conclude someone broke in, take a description, make a report, and you and your friend are off the hook. Avoid your buddy's house for a while after that. Split the money 25/75 in your favor. Don't repeat with the same guy though.

If you have serious balls, break into someone's house while they are away and do the same thing.

* Identity theft

* Get some really cheap knock-off merchandise - then make up a story how you are a delivery guy/warehouse guy and it a surplus showed up, but you'll be in a mess if they find out you signed for too many. Whatever. Let people think you are stealing it and selling it too them at a good price. (This sounds ridiculous, but it was very successful in the US (http://pdxkaraokeguy.hubpages.com/hub/I-Fell-Victim-to-the-White-Van-Speaker-Scam)). In fact, you are selling low quality junk to people who don't know any better but won't mind paying cash, in a hurry, because they think it's 'hot'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Know of one where they catch the shop just ad they take a regular delivery. A shop with a few branches around town. As soon as they spot the real delivery been made they go up just as the driver leaves and before they have a chance to pu away the stock. Claim the wrong delivery was made. They gave you the stock for shop of the same name around the corner. I have your delivery. Let me take that stuff and ill bring the correct stuff into you now. Person in the shop hands over the goods expecting the Guy to come back but doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

kowloon wrote: »
    No idea who I heard this from and can't remember the details, but it's a funny scam.

A company supposedly selling sex toys and the likes take orders from people but reply to the person ordering to apologise for not having whatever item in stock. A full refund is given but in the form of a cheque which has the name of the company on it. Something along the lines of 'The anal perversion company' or whatever. Person decides not to go through the embarrassment of cashing the cheque for what's a modest sum anyway.

A mate of mine registered the website bluemovies.com about 15 years ago, on the landing page there were several provocative photos, and basically you could buy a 3 hour film for 10 pounds. When you finally have your 3hr movie downloaded(all day, mid 90's internet connection) .
    Basically the the customer gets a 3 hour video of blue paint drying. They did offer a refund to the people who complained and would issue the refund by cheque in the same way as above, the cheques were rarely cashed. They cleared over 100k in a week before getting shut down

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

A regular one down here is when a car is advertised for sale at an unusually low price, so that they get a lot of interest, I know a guy who got tricked a few weeks ago.

He called the number and arranged for the owners of the car to come and meet with him for a test drive. The buyer saw the car and agreed to the €900 price and cash was handed over, all of the documentation was signed at the local bar and keys handed over, then the new owner agreed to having a beer with the seller and they chatted and got on quiet well, then the Seller lets it be known that he has 4 almost new tyres at home that would suit the car and he would never use them because his new 4X4 has bigger wheels, He says he will go back home and get them the buyer agrees, but holds onto the paperwork and one key. The seller gets back into the car with the €900 and is never seen again. It turns out the car had false plates to match the false documentation that the buyer now has.

Police have been aware of the Scam for a while and suspect the group are based about 2 hours drive away, and have been doing this in cities all around the region

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Psychic Readings Live.. TV3 nightly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Heard of a lad who lived over in London in the 1960's who made a fortune selling blue and purple Smarties wrapped in tinfoil to mods.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

True story .

Mate of mine fancied himself as a bit of a del boy .
    A traveller he kind off knew pulls up in a car .
    Hes driving around all day trying to find a fella that was gonna buy this bag of phones off him . He proceeds to show me mate the phones after a bit of chitchat . Mate asked how much they were . Yer man gave a real knockdown price . Me mate freaked he didnt see him before the other fella thats giving the traveller the run around . Traveller says he agreed to sell to the other fella but if he cant find him by tonight he will sell them to my mate .
    Me mates runs around all my friends . Everyone threw a few quid in thinking they were getting cheap phones .
    Traveller turns up later but this time with a couple of other intimidating looking travellers .
    Traveller hands over the bag and my mate delightedly hands over the money after thinking they were going to mug him .
    He comes back to one of friends
    houses pulls out the bag opens it up and its full of rocks .
    The best part was as he opened it he said to one of the lads look what Im after getting for xxx amount of money .
    Other lad looks in the bag and says " what rocks ?"
    Was about 15 years ago I still laugh at it .

Not all travellers are bad . I used traveller alot there but it was just so youd remember who who was .

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭nathan99

coolhull wrote: »
    Psychic Readings Live.. TV3 nightly

Yeh it is a scam, i went to prank call her just last weekend and while i was waiting on the line to be on tv they stole my money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

oh we've had a few here in ireland........................probably been said already but just in case

the usc charge
    the proerty tax
    and the oncoming water tax
    are top class scams imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

mayotom wrote: »
    A regular one down here is when a car is advertised for sale at an unusually low price, so that they get a lot of interest, I know a guy who got tricked a few weeks ago.

He called the number and arranged for the owners of the car to come and meet with him for a test drive. The buyer saw the car and agreed to the €900 price and cash was handed over, all of the documentation was signed at the local bar and keys handed over, then the new owner agreed to having a beer with the seller and they chatted and got on quiet well, then the Seller lets it be known that he has 4 almost new tyres at home that would suit the car and he would never use them because his new 4X4 has bigger wheels, He says he will go back home and get them the buyer agrees, but holds onto the paperwork and one key. The seller gets back into the car with the €900 and is never seen again. It turns out the car had false plates to match the false documentation that the buyer now has.

Police have been aware of the Scam for a while and suspect the group are based about 2 hours drive away, and have been doing this in cities all around the region

You'd want to be some thicko would you not ? I go to buy a car, and the cash leaves in the seller's pocket, who is driving the car ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭In Exile

True story .

Mate of mine fancied himself as a bit of a del boy .
    A traveller he kind off knew pulls up in a car .
    Hes driving around all day trying to find a fella that was gonna buy this bag of phones off him . He proceeds to show me mate the phones after a bit of chitchat . Mate asked how much they were . Yer man gave a real knockdown price . Me mate freaked he didnt see him before the other fella thats giving the traveller the run around . Traveller says he agreed to sell to the other fella but if he cant find him by tonight he will sell them to my mate .
    Me mates runs around all my friends . Everyone threw a few quid in thinking they were getting cheap phones .
    Traveller turns up later but this time with a couple of other intimidating looking travellers .
    Traveller hands over the bag and my mate delightedly hands over the money after thinking they were going to mug him .
    He comes back to one of friends
    houses pulls out the bag opens it up and its full of rocks .
    The best part was as he opened it he said to one of the lads look what Im after getting for xxx amount of money .
    Other lad looks in the bag and says " what rocks ?"
    Was about 15 years ago I still laugh at it .

Not all travellers are bad . I used traveller alot there but it was just so youd remember who who was .

Traveller I knew from working in a Bank told me this story before.

They got a job to lay tarmac in a new industrial estate in Spain. Only person around was the owner of the lot who hired them and the traveller convinced him they were using this new high tech tarmac that had really bad fumes so it would be best if your man left them at it and come back later that evening.

Anyway, guy arrives back that evening and there is a perfectly flat surface as far as he can see. Traveller tells him not to let anybody on to it for at least 12 hours until it sets properly and not to drive on it for at least 24.

Travellers arrive back the following day for payment and it is hard enough to walk on so the owner pays up and they take off.

Sun comes out that afternoon and the "tarmac" sinks. Turns out when the owner left, they covered the whole place in wood chippings and then covered it all in black gloss paint. Looked really good but once the sun came out, it heated up the paint and it sunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Best trick the Devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist.

This. Probably the most common scam running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=man%20rents%20apatments%20to%20more%20than%20one%20person%20scam%20in%20dublin&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2F2009%2F1009%2Foconnorj.html&ei=ew2zUPvbBpGwhAfLwYCQCg&usg=AFQjCNGWalEeHorS30SahRwhKZWFtEAq8A

A man who defrauded people out of more than €27,000 in an 'apartment scam' in Dublin has been jailed for two years.
    48-year-old Joseph O'Connor of Decies Road, Ballyfermot, was given a three-year sentence, with one year suspended, after he pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to inducing people to pay him money for the lease of an apartment in April 2006.
    Over the course of four days in April 2006, O'Connor showed prospective tenants around an apartment in Ballsbridge.
    He wanted €1,150 per month in rent payable in advance, and a similar amount upfront as a deposit.
    He gave keys to prospective tenants, a lease, and codes for the security gates.
    However, the apartment was not Joseph O'Connor's - he was involved in a scam whereby false documents and a false identity had been used to obtain the lease on the apartment from a Dublin auctioneer.
    O'Connor was arrested almost a year later and today was jailed for two years after admitting the fraud.
    The court heard that O'Connor has no money and none of those who were duped have been reimbursed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Can we get a photo of this fcuker.
    Same thing happened someone I know back in 04 or so.
    Was fit to strangle the thievin fcuk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

THE Supreme Court yesterday overturned an ?84,000 award which had been made by the High Court to a woman who fell down a cliff while admiring the sun set. The court said a person must be prepared for "oddities" in cliff structure when sitting near the edge.

Geraldine Weir-Rodgers (36), Ranamona, Annagry, Co Donegal, had taken a legal action against SF Trust Ltd, a company which, a judge said, appeared to be formed by the Franciscan Order and was owner of the unused land. The High Court decision was appealed to the Supreme Court.

Ms Weir-Rodgers had claimed that after a social evening on April 11, 1997 a group decided to go for a walk towards the beach at Coolmore, Rossnowlagh, to watch the sunset.

There was an isolated section of fencing on a road to the beach , a piece of which had fallen down. She was sitting with friends close to the edge of a cliff. When she stood up she slipped, lost her footing and fell down the cliff which turned out to be much more sheer than she would have expected.

Because of loose materials she was unable to stop and ended up in the water. She was rescued by a friend. She suffered fractures to her left shoulder, left elbow, left hip and pelvis along with injuries to her ankle and foot and other injuries.

The High Court had assessed damages at ?113,000 but the trial judge found Ms Weir-Rodgers to be guilty of 25pc contributory negligence and made an award for ?84,666.

Mr Justice Hugh Geoghegan, in yesterday's judgment, said a person sitting down near a cliff must be prepared for oddities in the cliff's structure or in the structure of the ground adjacent to the cliff and he or she assumed the inherent associated risks.

There could, of course, be something quite exceptionally unusual and dangerous in the state of a particular piece of ground which would impose a duty on the occupier, the effect of which would be that if he did not put up a warning notice he would be treated as having reckless disregard.

But this was certainly not such a case. While obviously sympathetic to Ms Weir-Rodgers in her serious injuries he was satisfied there was no liability on the part of the appellant. He set aside the judgment of the High Court and dismissed the action.

The Chief Justice, Mr Justice John Murray, and Ms Justice Susan Denham agreed. On the application of Harry Whelehan SC, the company was granted costs in the case.

tl:dr, walker falls off a cliff and sues the land owner
    It's not a scam but it was a ridiculous award of compensation to begin with :rolleyes:

Trespass is a criminal offence these days and it took a lot of lobbying to get that changed.

Before that you could find travellers on your land, gardaí can't do much and so you pay lawyers to get a high court injunction.
    Several thousand to lawyers or a few thousand cash, gotta be cash boss to the boyos to move them on, which do you choose?

The UK have the laws we used to have, 10 years to get Dale Farm cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

When the smoking ban first came in two lads went around near every pub in Dundalk over the course of the weekend handing out on-the-spot €50 fines. Told people they could pay now or face court later and apparently most people handed it over.

When the Euro first came in a load of businesses were caught out by people using "Euro" notes that were just photocopies of notes. the scammers seemed to be counting on people not knowing what the notes looked or felt like.

I remember a story on the radio a while ago where a spate of these scams happened. Someone goes into a shop, orders a €50 top up. When it's printed out the say "****, left my wallet in the car." Then they drive off. While the shopkeeper was printing it out they took a picture of the receipt with their phone capturing the top up code.

And the best of all...

...When my granda was a young fella there used to be a well off farmer would pay for buckets of picked berries by weight. Apparently granda and his friends used to come up with all sorts of ingenious ways of attaching weights to the bucket without yer man noticing. Cute hoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

i heard of one done in the late 80's early 90's by some motorcycle couriers in london

it starts with setting up a premium rate phone number ( cost around 100 at the time ) you can set the charges for this line , call it what you like and have the recording of what you like

so these couriers would get sent all over London and the south east of the UK ,
    normally dealing with large company's and government dept , they would arrive on site asking for a imaginary contact , security or front desk obviously would not find them , so the courier would ask can he use a phone to contact his office - 9 times out of ten he would be directed to a phone that HE could dial and use ( lazy stupid people )

so the preimium rate line would be called - he would sit for 5 minutes "waiting" for the contact name , all the time clocking up bill
    then would say he has the wrong address and leave - BANG - 30 pound in charges in a few minutes,

also heard that in gov dept, they would arrive at lunch time , no one around, and they would grab a load of phones and ring the number , then leave them off the hook , some would not be found for hours if at all .

best part of this scam , is that the line they set up got paid every 2 weeks , but the poor sods who own the lines the calls were made from would not see a bill for 2 moths - so they would be LONG gone by the time any questions were asked

HOW SWEET IS THAT !!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

dj jarvis wrote: »
    i heard of one done in the late 80's early 90's by some motorcycle couriers in london

it starts with setting up a premium rate phone number ( cost around 100 at the time ) you can set the charges for this line , call it what you like and have the recording of what you like

normally dealing with large company's and government dept , they would arrive on site asking for a imaginary contact , security or front desk obviously would not find them , so the courier would ask can he use a phone to contact his office - 9 times out of ten he would be directed to a phone that HE could dial and use ( lazy stupid people )

so the preimium rate line would be called - he would sit for 5 minutes "waiting" for the contact name , all the time clocking up bill
    then would say he has the wrong address and leave - BANG - 30 pound in charges in a few minutes

HOW SWEET IS THAT !!! ;)

Under the same style you make up a few thousand cards and print "sorry we missed you, we have a delivery waiting for your collection. If your unable to collect please call 0845 000000 and we will redeliver free of charge"

Post this into every letter box you can find and people call the number and listen to music while they wait to be connected to a non existing courier company for a non existing package paying a premium phone charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

then would say he has the wrong address and leave - BANG - 30 pound in charges in a few minutes,

also heard that in gov dept, they would arrive at lunch time , no one around, and they would grab a load of phones and ring the number , then leave them off the hook , some would not be found for hours if at all .

best part of this scam , is that the line they set up got paid every 2 weeks , but the poor sods who own the lines the calls were made from would not see a bill for 2 moths - so they would be LONG gone by the time any questions were asked

HOW SWEET IS THAT !!!

But would you have to register the premium number with comreg.ie ? If so, if anyone complained, comreg would have all your details to report to the gardai.
    It's a good idea but I doubt it would work (in Ireland)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

In Exile wrote: »
    Traveller I knew from working in a Bank told me this story before.

They got a job to lay tarmac in a new industrial estate in Spain. Only person around was the owner of the lot who hired them and the traveller convinced him they were using this new high tech tarmac that had really bad fumes so it would be best if your man left them at it and come back later that evening.

Anyway, guy arrives back that evening and there is a perfectly flat surface as far as he can see. Traveller tells him not to let anybody on to it for at least 12 hours until it sets properly and not to drive on it for at least 24.

Travellers arrive back the following day for payment and it is hard enough to walk on so the owner pays up and they take off.

Sun comes out that afternoon and the "tarmac" sinks. Turns out when the owner left, they covered the whole place in wood chippings and then covered it all in black gloss paint. Looked really good but once the sun came out, it heated up the paint and it sunk

Traveller & Tarmac in the same sentence. 'Nuf said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Valentines Day. Basically a made up day to sell more cards. And it worked!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Green Mile wrote: »
    But would you have to register the premium number with comreg.ie ? If so, if anyone complained, comreg would have all your details to report to the gardai.
    comreg - you have got to be joking

yer man from irish physics did that, the company got a fine of just €1,500 for over a hundred thousand such calls :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My hero is the programmer who walked into his boss's office and told then he'd just defrauded them and if they agreed to drop all charges and let him keep all the money he'd fix it so no one could repeat what he did.

Or if they pressed charges he'd let the world know how he did it and the company would be bankrupt in a week.

He got the keep the money and didn't have to worry about being caught.

Green Mile wrote: »

nowadays - yes most likely , but this was late 80's , so the numbers had little or no regulation at the time - do you remember the British tabloids would have pages and pages of these numbers , they exploded in popularity

this scam i like , becasue its non violent , does not target vulnerable people , and in fairness it would not lead to gaining a huge amount
    and i would say tough on the company's and depts involved ,
    if they did not have proper polices in place for phone use and security then they are ALWAYS going to get chancers trying it on

as i said before - SWEET

My hero is the programmer who walked into his boss's office and told then he'd just defrauded them and if they agreed to drop all charges and let him keep all the money he'd fix it so no one could repeat what he did.

Or if they pressed charges he'd let the world know how he did it and the company would be bankrupt in a week.

He got the keep the money and didn't have to worry about being caught.

very similar to another scam that was doing the rounds ( and still is ),
    a hacker will target a SME , get into the file server and encrypt all the files
    now the company is in a bind , they can not used their database , so all accounts , customer contacts and projects are encrypted with a key they dont have ,

so they get a phone call from the hacker , they demand 1000 euro for the release of their files , if you don't agree they just leave them locked , totally useless , next to impossible to break the encryption.

the 1000 euro is paid via a 3rd party ( western union or such like ) and the files are freed up - i have never heard of them NOT freeing them up after payment
    simple as you like - no damage - no violence , and small money
    and it will teach SME company's not to scrimp on IT security in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

very similar to another scam that was doing the rounds ( and still is ),
    a hacker will target a SME , get into the file server and encrypt all the files
    now the company is in a bind , they can not used their database , so all accounts , customer contacts and projects are encrypted with a key they dont have ,

so they get a phone call from the hacker , they demand 1000 euro for the release of their files , if you don't agree they just leave them locked , totally useless , next to impossible to break the encryption.

the 1000 euro is paid via a 3rd party ( western union or such like ) and the files are freed up - i have never heard of them NOT freeing them up after payment
    simple as you like - no damage - no violence , and small money
    and it will teach SME company's not to scrimp on IT security in the future

A mate of mine has fake boxes to act as honeypots.

His hobby is intentionally making what looks like a full company infrastructure with fake data and then watching some guy poking around in it and generally wasting their time.

E.G. having a 400meg file called "Customer CC Export.xls" and then rate limiting the VM to say 2-3kb/sec randomly cutting it off every so often.

Usually he ends the thing with putting a shock pic (like goatse,2 girls 1 cup) embedded into what look like Business word documents.

He then blows away the whole thing and starts from scratch again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

A mate of mine has fake boxes to act as honeypots.

His hobby is intentionally making what looks like a full company infrastructure with fake data and then watching some guy poking around in it and generally wasting their time.

E.G. having a 400meg file called "Customer CC Export.xls" and then rate limiting the VM to say 2-3kb/sec randomly cutting it off every so often.

Usually he ends the thing with putting a shock pic (like goatse,2 girls 1 cup) embedded into what look like Business word documents.

He then blows away the whole thing and starts from scratch again

I bet he gets all the chicks .

...When my granda was a young fella there used to be a well off farmer would pay for buckets of picked berries by weight. Apparently granda and his friends used to come up with all sorts of ingenious ways of attaching weights to the bucket without yer man noticing. Cute hoors.
    When picking peas it's traditional to pee on them to increase the weight

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

Local golf club was overrun with rabbits so they offered a local oul lad cash in hand if he came out every week for a few months and caught them and based it on commission to give him the incentive to catch more and agreed that he would drive back the country and set them free because they couldn't be seen to be killing loads and loads of rabbits.

Every week he would go out and catch a heap of them and the manager would come out and count them and give him whatever money was agreed and watch him drive off with the rabbits. Then the other 6 days of the week he paid one of his friends to go out with a few rabbits at a time as to not raise suspicion and let them go just outside the golf club again.

Supposedly guaranteed him a job for years and after a while the rabbits got used to him and would just come straight up to him for capture when they saw him 'cause he treated them well at home so he had an easy enough, relatively well paying, secure job. Still can't believe the gold club never copped on though! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

ColeTrain wrote: »
    That's a true story. The guys name was Peter Gibbons. He was never found guilty as his office caught fire and destroyed all the evidence.

Yeahhhhh.....if you wouldn't mind we're just gonna take your post and put it in the mightn't have happened category, that would be terrific.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 hay_maker

travellers who go round the country painting buildings for farmers use a mixture of paint and diesel with a ratio of 1:10 paint to diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

When I was in college we discovered that irish pound coins had been minted using the old mint for pre decimal irish pennies, which could be bought for 10 pence each in local markets.

Some vending machines couldnt tell the difference between the two. We cleared out cigarette machines in local pubs and then discovered that the college condom vending machine would dispense not only condoms but due to some glitch, would also spit out a pound coin, and if you continued, when you had exhausted all the pound coins, the entire stack of old pennies would come out like a slot machine win.

I still wonder what happened all those condoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

When I was in college we discovered that irish pound coins had been minted using the old mint for pre decimal irish pennies, which could be bought for 10 pence each in local markets.

Some vending machines couldnt tell the difference between the two. We cleared out cigarette machines in local pubs and then discovered that the college condom vending machine would dispense not only condoms but due to some glitch, would also spit out a pound coin, and if you continued, when you had exhausted all the pound coins, the entire stack of old pennies would come out like a slot machine win.

I still wonder what happened all those condoms.

Who knows? Apparently a condom can hold around half a dozen good sized spuds before it will break. The possibilities are endless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

When the Euros first came out, someone found that the Thai 10 Baht coin was roughly the same size as a €2.

Worked in vending machines until the game was up and the machines recalibrated to reject them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

HOW SWEET IS THAT !!! ;)
    I know of people that used a modern version of this using Bluetooth.

Its all very simple.A premium rate line is set up.The scammer goes to a public area with lots of people about.Bus station/bus,train station/train or a public park in the summer.The scammer uses a bluetooth scanner app and requests connection to peoples phones.You wouldn't believe the amount of people that leave their bluetooth turned on.

Using a Bluetooth name of the area your in such as "Bus Eireann" and if that doesn't work names like "69*Cutie19*69" would rope in some lads.

They grant access to the phone.From here they have full control of the phone.A few minutes were nothing is done then the scammer disables all tones,vibrations and incoming calls are barred.The scammer then uses the accessed phone to ring the premium line and Bobs your uncle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jased10s

people are now photo copying the receipt you get from the count your change machine and then hitting the cashier twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

When the Euros first came out, someone found that the Thai 10 Baht coin was roughly the same size as a €2.

Worked in vending machines until the game was up and the machines recalibrated to reject them.

Its always worth checking possibilities when new coinage comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The old 5p coins were the same size as the American 'quarters'.

PacMan had TMJ issues by the time we ran out of coins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I can't for the life of me remember what book it was, but there was a novel where the author had come up with a legendary scam, and low and behold someone tried it in real life, and got away with it!

It went a little something like this:

Shops take in a lot of cash during the day. Bigger shops and chains will usually have some service like Securicor come and collect it in an armoured van. However, a lot of smaller shops will take it down to the bank themselves at the end of the day.

Now banks are often closed before the shops are, so a lot of banks have a cash drop box where business owners can dump the cash in the evening.

So one evening a gentleman strolls up to the bank, wearing security gear (and presumably a hat, because everyone trusts a guy with a hat). He places a sign over the drop box declaring that it is "Out of Order", or something to that effect.

Then he proceeds to stand beside it with a sack and a clipboard.

People arrive with their cash, and are confronted with an official looking gentleman who asks them to fill in their details and sign the form on his clip board. Then they place their cash in the sack.

Of course, this gentleman has no affiliation with the bank whatsoever. Once the bag is stuffed with cash, he takes down the sign and strolls away, never to be seen again.

Naturally some people were suspicious and elected to hold on to their cash until the next day, but enough people were far too trustworthy. He made off with a tidy sum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I can't for the life of me remember what book it was, but there was a novel where the author had come up with a legendary scam, and low and behold someone tried it in real life, and got away with it!

Shops take in a lot of cash during the day. Bigger shops and chains will usually have some service like Securicor come and collect it in an armoured van. However, a lot of smaller shops will take it down to the bank themselves at the end of the day.

Now banks are often closed before the shops are, so a lot of banks have a cash drop box where business owners can dump the cash in the evening.

So one evening a gentleman strolls up to the bank, wearing security gear (and presumably a hat, because everyone trusts a guy with a hat). He places a sign over the drop box declaring that it is "Out of Order", or something to that effect.

People arrive with their cash, and are confronted with an official looking gentleman who asks them to fill in their details and sign the form on his clip board. Then they place their cash in the sack.

Of course, this gentleman has no affiliation with the bank whatsoever. Once the bag is stuffed with cash, he takes down the sign and strolls away, never to be seen again.

Naturally some people were suspicious and elected to hold on to their cash until the next day, but enough people were far too trustworthy. He made off with a tidy sum.

Wasn't that on the real hustle ?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

kowloon wrote: »
    No idea who I heard this from and can't remember the details, but it's a funny scam.

A company supposedly selling sex toys and the likes take orders from people but reply to the person ordering to apologise for not having whatever item in stock. A full refund is given but in the form of a cheque which has the name of the company on it. Something along the lines of 'The anal perversion company' or whatever. Person decides not to go through the embarrassment of cashing the cheque for what's a modest sum anyway.

Sounds like a variation of the Roald Dahl short story about the blind man who gets the fake invoice for porn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Wasn't that on the real hustle ?

Possibly, never heard of that show until now, but it sounds good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

MadsL wrote: »
    Best trick the Devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist.

This. Probably the most common scam running.

It's so much easier than that, professional gangs will go into the restaurant, say they need to fix the swipe machine, open the back, put a skimming device where you swipe and a sim card in the back that automatically sends all data the second the card is swiped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

Neil gaiman - American gods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

hay_maker wrote: »
    travellers who go round the country painting buildings for farmers use a mixture of paint and diesel with a ratio of 1:10 paint to diesel

That makes sense, seeing as diesel would nearly be dearer per litre

• Advertisement
Advertisement