Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for some advice about a dog and some caneries

• 25-11-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭

hi all im fostering a jrt at the moment and may have a forever home sorted for him apart from one problem,hes a bit 2 interested in there pet canaries has anyone any sgguestions of ways to put the birds up high at the moment there cage is on a coffee table but their owner is willibg to move them. it really would be the perfect home for the little guy as they are experienced jrt owners
    thanks

Comments

I kept budgies most of my life and our dogs and cats would be interested yes. The cats gave up when they realise the birds were caged therefore not easy to get at. The dogs would bark at them. We kept the cage up high. I bought a set of shelves in Argos about 8 years about that are almost five feet high and were only about 15 euro. Birds much prefer to live up high anyway, it's more natural to them, they prefer to look down at people and animals. The dog will lose interest in the birds as he/she gets used to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

budgese wrote: »
    I kept budgies most of my life and our dogs and cats would be interested yes. The cats gave up when they realise the birds were caged therefore not easy to get at. The dogs would bark at them. We kept the cage up high. I bought a set of shelves in Argos about 8 years about that are almost five feet high and were only about 15 euro. Birds much prefer to live up high anyway, it's more natural to them, they prefer to look down at people and animals. The dog will lose interest in the birds as he/she gets used to them.
    i was thinking of high shelves myself, will suggest that thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

If not shelves, how about a hook fixed to the wall/ceiling that the cage could then be suspended from? Was thinking along the lines of the brackets used for hanging baskets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

I would go with what LisaO said. A bracket is more suitable than a shelf where the cage could be knocked from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If the cage is suitable for hanging further up then the cage is too small for the birds. Point them in the direction of zooplus there's loads of larger stronger cages and some are on castors so are on a height that can be wheeled into different rooms out of the way when needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

thanks for all the suggestions everyone

Advertisement