Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas RTE Guide & Christmas TV - *All TV related posts here!*

Options
  • 25-11-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi
    Does anyone know on what date this years Christmas edition of the RTE Guide will be out?
    Thanks!

EDIT: MOD NOTE

Please post all Christmas TV related posts in here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Another 2 weeks away I'd say :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

I suppose it depends which week of the double Christmas Day falls into. They seem to like to have Chriatmas day and New Years on different editions. If they do that then Christmas day will be the second Tuesday of the guide. That means the guide will start on the 15th. It is usually out about 10 days before it starts so that makes it around the 5th. If it covers both Christmas and New Year then a week later.

The UKTV guide website goes out a month so that should have Christmas day early this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jf2k

xmas rte guide dated from sat 15-fri28 dec,
    in the shops 10 days b4, dec 5th, tomorrow week.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

All the squee for tomorrow week so. Christmas RTE Guide :) All the happies to get that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

The only one of the year i buy, it seems to outsell all the other issues ten fold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

What's the exact date for its coming out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

The only one of the year i buy, it seems to outsell all the other issues ten fold.

its like one of the decorations now..
    wouldn't be the same without a christmas rte guide on the coffee table

I roll it up and use it as a core to wrap the lights around as I pack up the tree in January. Just had a flick through last years one again today as I put up the tree. God there was feck all on last year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

touts wrote: »
    God there was feck all on last year.

Same as this year as well then! ;)

According to the ad on the inside back cover of today's guide, it's actually out on the 10th

• Advertisement

Jebus wept! These are the highlights!!! They actually look like setting a new low this year. Santa better leave a few box sets.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/1203/rteschedule.html
    TV series School Around the Corner returns for a very special programme this Christmas, along with PJ Gallagher's The Great Big Surprise Party, TV50: Nighthawks Rehashed, Mrs Brown's Boys and I've Got Your Back hosted by Brian Dowling.

Blockbusters on RTÉ this Christmas include Walk The Line, The Bourne Ultimatum, The Family Stone, Duplicity, About A Boy, Speed 2: Cruise Control, Assault on Precinct 13, Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull, I Love You Man, Blades of Glory, Inglorious Basterds and Fight Club.

Younger viewers have lots to look forward to as Christmas arrives at all their favourite programmes (OMG! Jedward's Dream Factory, Life's Like This, elev8, Two Tube, Christmas Special Beo Show, The Curious World of Professor Fun and Dr. Dull and The Magic Circus Show.

For lovers of food and lifestyle programming the festive line up is sure to appeal with Christmas specials from many of RTÉ Television's favourite food series (Rachel Allen Christmas Cake Diaries; Kitchen Hero Christmas Special; Kevin Dundon's Christmas Made Easy; Room to Improve Christmas Special; Don't Tell The Bride, Happily Married).

Sports fans will be spoiled for choice as RTÉ brings a variety of great sports documentaries and live coverage (Jimmy's Winnin' Matches; When Ali Came To Ireland; The RTÉ Sports Awards; Rory McIlroy:The Interview; First; Euro 2012: The Score; Racing From Leopardstown; RaboDirect PRO12 and Premier Soccer Saturday.

Music fans have much to look forward to over Christmas with Michael Bublé: Home for the Holidays; Joe Dolan - Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller; For One Night Only; Stepping Out With Katherine Jenkins; Mumford & Sons Road to Redrocks and Amy Winehouse: The Day She Came to Dingle.

Anyone know if that Joe Dolan docu is a replay or a newbie? The mammy wants to know. Ta

hdowney wrote: »
    Anyone know if that Joe Dolan docu is a replay or a newbie? The mammy wants to know. Ta
    Don't know but it's on at half six on New Year's Eve if it helps at all? :confused: Rang Eason's and the girl said the Xmas Guide definitely won't be out this week which is at odds with the post above! She's probably on drugs though.

Don't know but it's on at half six on New Year's Eve if it helps at all? :confused: Rang Eason's and the girl said the Xmas Guide definitely won't be out this week which is at odds with the post above! She's probably on drugs though.

I may wait to get my hands on the guide and see can it be figured out, thanks though. So that's next Monday for the guide people yea?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

hdowney wrote: »
    I may wait to get my hands on the guide and see can it be figured out, thanks though. So that's next Monday for the guide people yea?

According to the last issue of the RTE Guide, Monday the 10th is the date the Christmas Edition goes on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SamHealy

branie wrote: »
    According to the ad on the inside back cover of today's guide, it's actually out on the 10th

I saw that ad too and went shopping today for the guide. I tried 4 shops without success. The current issue of the guide has the ad too.

I needed the guide by today as it is for someone in the U.S. and the last day for posting is today

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/ChristmasChannel/Christmas+Postal+Dates.htm

I called into RTE in Donnybrook on the way home and was directed to the RTE Guide section. I stated why I needed the guide today, pointed out that it was advertised in the last couple of guides as being out today but I could not get it in the shops. This is what I was told:-

The RTE Guide will be in the shops when it is in the shops.:confused:

Jesus!!! :confused: I got a message on my wall from the RTE Guide fb today stating it was in the shops today. So like yourself I went round the shops looking and nothing. So now I am peeved off :mad:

Their biggest selling product of the year and they haven't a clue when it will be out and are downright rude to any queries. it's no wonder RTE are constantly on the verge of bankruptcy with a horrendous civil service attitude like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ecarg

I didn't think so many people still bought it, especially with so many freeby guides in weekend papers.

My brother works in Tesco and he says it's out? €3.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RebelRed90

its been relatively poor the last few years, prefer just to get the Culture Magazine in the sunday times!

Jesus is exactly what I said too.

Maybe I was unlucky in the 4 shops I tried, 1 local and 3 in town, yes I even went into town. If it is out in some shops why did RTE not do a bit of digging and direct me to the nearest stockist?

I agree that the guide is not very good but it is part of Christmas for a lot of people, and a little bit of home for those abroad at Christmas.

I can't even boycott the buggers or owt, cos the Christmas issue is the only bloody one I buy :o But ffs stop crying out on your bleeding facebook that it is out if it flipping isn't. Peed me right off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

It must be out because my Aunt was reading it today.

Wouldn't wipe my arse with it though.

It must be out because my Aunt was reading it today.

Do you know where she got it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

SamHealy wrote: »
    Do you know where she got it?
    No, haven't a clue.

On Christmas Day, at 8:35, RTE 1 is showing Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Can people please search the forum a little bit before making new threads? We're starting to be swamped in threads that end up having 1-4 posts in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Saw it in Tesco Dundrum today if people are still looking (in that area)

• Advertisement

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Can people please search the forum a little bit before making new threads? We're starting to be swamped in threads that end up having 1-4 posts in total.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. I searched and this is the only thread for the Christmas RTE Guide 2012 as far as I can see and I'm finding it very useful. It has 20+ posts and has been going on for a few weeks. I'm new so maybe I'm missing something?
    star-pants wrote: »
    Saw it in Tesco Dundrum today if people are still looking (in that area)

Thanks, I headed to my nearest Tesco yesterday (Tuesday 11/12/2012) because of Lailah Jolly Fountain's (thanks Lailah Jolly Fountain) comment above and there it was. (I don't know how to thank individual posts yet, I did look it up but the option is not at the bottom right of posts as displayed on my screen.)

I am still shocked by the attitude of the guy in RTE. You would think that on a day where RTE had a massive ad campaign across a variety of platforms, the RTE guide, Facebook, Tv and radio adverts, you would be met with a bit more of a can do attitude when you arrive in Montrose.

I am not the only one who could not find the RTE Guide in the shops according to this thread and the RTE facebook page and comments on the RTE website. Possibly I am the only one who turned up in Montrose in the flesh and pressed the bell on the door marked "RTE Guide" though!

Advertisement