Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Flatworm

Options
  • 25-11-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has come across Australian flatworms (the dreaded earthworm predator) in their garden. :eek:

I've come across the New Zealand flatworm in my own garden unfortunately.

These beasties are notifiable to the Invasivespecies website.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the difference between the australian and NZ versions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

my garden has both:mad: (from before I moved in...) The garden had been done by a landscaping company, I suspect them. A lot more people around here must have them and just not notice.

The australian (is also from NZ I believe) is much smaller, and is a bright orangey colour. NZ grow huge and are a slimy green/black.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Triangulata

Hi PlanetX, sorry to hear you have flatworms. I'd really like to know where abouts in the country you are (or more specifically, your worms are).

I reckon they are more widespread than what is reported on the Biodiversity Ireland website map. Have you seen the map? It's at:

http://apps.biodiversityireland.ie/InvasivesBrowser/speciesinfo.php?TaxonId=28072

Contaminated topsoil is one of the ways it can get into your garden, I believe. The New Zealand variety that I have (In County Cavan) came through swapping plants with a friend in Tyrone.

I'm trying to do a bit of research on the two types of flatworm. I'm interested in whether there each worm has a preferred habitat.

There are more of the NZ variety up north - they reckon that the cooler conditions suit it.

The Australian variety may have different preferences - according to the Biodiversity map there are more Australian flatworms south of the border.

This could be just happenstance - or they could prefer the soils and temperature.

If you haven't done it already PlanetX, you could report your sighting to Biodiversity Ireland who are gathering all information on Alien Invasive Species.

Anyway thanks for responding to the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Already reported years ago:)

They can come in pots from garden centres too. My garden had a lot of weed control fabric down, with bark on top, and that's where I found lots of them while removing it. I presume they came in with the shrubs that were planted through the fabric. Otherwise the only time I see them is underneath pots, and in a dry place behind the shed where I've stacked turf. You find the eggs too, they look like little blackcurrants.
    I'd think any distribution differences in Ireland are down to the source of contamination more than any habitat differences. I'm afraid both types survived the big freeze 2 years ago, I was so hoping the cold would have killed them off:mad:
    garden is in north galway btw.

Advertisement