Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commerce with German

• 25-11-2012 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all,thinking of doing commerce with German next year in UCC (currently in 6th yr). I was just wondering if prior knowledge of German is necessary or do you start from scratch? I am doing German at the moment but my teacher isn't the greatest :(

Any help is much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Steve!

You can do beginners German if you've never done it before. Otherwise you have to get a C1 in Higher Lever German. I'm in 2nd year of this course at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DelBoyCORCAIGH

Steve! wrote: »
    You can do beginners German if you've never done it before. Otherwise you have to get a C1 in Higher Lever German. I'm in 2nd year of this course at the moment.

Can you do beginners german anyway even if you've already done it? How are you finding the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Steve!

I *think* if you're applying via the CAO you have to have a C1 in any honours language to gain entry to the course. But you'll be well able for the German even if you're not that great at the moment. Just get the C1 in it.

I do like the course. Found the German to be very testing at the start but I'm way better now purely from going to the classes. There's a lot of modules in first year which makes it seem more difficult than second year weirdly enough. The ten credit law module is difficult but you'll never have to do it again after first year. Think of the Erasmus!

Steve! wrote: »
    I *think* if you're applying via the CAO you have to have a C1 in any honours language to gain entry to the course. But you'll be well able for the German even if you're not that great at the moment. Just get the C1 in it.

I do like the course. Found the German to be very testing at the start but I'm way better now purely from going to the classes. There's a lot of modules in first year which makes it seem more difficult than second year weirdly enough. The ten credit law module is difficult but you'll never have to do it again after first year. Think of the Erasmus!

Ya i think i would be well able to get the C1 anyway, hopefully anyway :P Thanks for that info too,gives me something to work towards :) ya the chance to go to Germany is one of the main reasons I'm thinking of doing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Im in the course and Id probley be the same as yourself in that my German is only reasonable as in I got a C1 but with a fair bitta wwork. In the course, you have the choice of Beginnerz class or Non beginners. Ive seen the stuff the beginners are doing and it truly is the absolute first steps like my name is, i am __ years old etc so even doing ordinary level for the leaving would have you miles ahead of that really. In our class, the pace is obviously a fair bit quicker than in school but its not a lot harder. 1 hour a week is Grammer and then 2 hours on spoken german and topics so all in all its not an awful lot and at the end of the day you leave the course having had a year away in Germany and have a degree in a foreign language which could be veeeery handy. PM me if you have any more questions

• Advertisement

CianDon wrote: »
    Im in the course and Id probley be the same as yourself in that my German is only reasonable as in I got a C1 but with a fair bitta wwork. In the course, you have the choice of Beginnerz class or Non beginners. Ive seen the stuff the beginners are doing and it truly is the absolute first steps like my name is, i am __ years old etc so even doing ordinary level for the leaving would have you miles ahead of that really. In our class, the pace is obviously a fair bit quicker than in school but its not a lot harder. 1 hour a week is Grammer and then 2 hours on spoken german and topics so all in all its not an awful lot and at the end of the day you leave the course having had a year away in Germany and have a degree in a foreign language which could be veeeery handy. PM me if you have any more questions

Really appreciate all that info thanks :)the year away has sealed the deal for me,better knuckle down for that c1 now :P

Advertisement