Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best place in new york to buy pc parts

Options
  • 25-11-2012 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭

hey all looking to build a htpc and my bro-in law is going to ny in 5 days looking for somewhere easy for him to pick up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Does he have a lot of weight to spare? Dunno that its that much cheaper than germany now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

just thinking cpu and itx mobo

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

www.jr.com had a very good range when I was last in NYC. Didn't buy anything when I was there, as I didn't know was I going AMD or Intel at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Unless you can find a Fry's, I wouldn't bother. New York is one of the most expensive places in the US. I'd nearly go so far as to say HWVS will be cheaper, unless he can order from Newegg or something.

well no fry,s in ny and jr.com dont have what i need :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

hi massy!

I have nothing more to add to this thread.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    hi massy!

I have nothing more to add to this thread.
    ???????????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

you haven't been around in a while.

ye been using a laptop more than pc,s bu im looking to build again (got the bug again)ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

J&R is hit and miss, great for laptops though (typing this on a Sony Z1 I got there for 600> euros less than bricks and mortar here at the time :D )

There is a Best buy on 5th avenue, they usually have a decent selection of components. You could email them in advance and ask them what exactly they stock.

eg. MSI - N680GTX Twin Frozr 4Gb for 450 euros, the cheapest 4GB 680 on HWVS is 519 euros plus shipping-so some good bargains to be had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I was in that Best Buy a couple of months ago, and they barely have anything worth mentioning. 90% of their stuff is laptops, printers, TVs, etc. But worth a look again if he's around I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Yes, but I'm fairly sure you can order in advance and pick up in store. Requires a US address though.

Edit: Ah. ok so he's already there..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

massy086 wrote: »
    well no fry,s in ny and jr.com dont have what i need :(
    How about you tell us what you want, and we'll look at the interwebs to see is there any point in buying it in NYC. It'll also allow us to check if shops sell what you're trying to buy :D

Advertisement