Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat was knocked down.

• 25-11-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi all ill try get to the point.
    So my beautiful cat was knocked down today,she has a shattered shoulder and you can also see the bone,I have been with the same vet 7 years now.
    Never had any real pet problems probably seen the vet about 6 times over the years.I have 4 cats and a dog.Cat is sedated and given injection to stop the bleeding.
    We will see what happens tomorrow xrays and that.Vet said he thinks amputation is the best/only option at this stage.
    Now the problem.xmas 4 kids,house bills and 4 other animals but our vet insists on the bill settled in full there and then.I cant stretch it.
    Only option i get is to leave the cat in the kennels till i get the money together.No way is a payment plan an option at all.What can i do.I adore all my animals any other time of year i would be grand but xmas a few weeks away.things are so tight already.
    I cant get a loan anywhere as cant pay it back.
    Im not even going down the route of her being pts no matter what if anything else is found wrong with her.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I would go straight out there and find a new vet, any vet who won't work out a payment plan is not worth working with imo. Best of luck with your kitty, tripods adjust remarkably well!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Really sorry to hear that. I do sympathise. My cat came home to me once and gave a loud cry, his whole leg was shattered. I had two options, amputation or a false leg. I chose the latter and he had 90 per cent functionality after. You could never tell that he had been in an accident. But, it was a big operation and cost about 750 euro. I suppose the most important thing you can do is ensure your cat will not be in pain for too long. I personally would not put the cat in a kennel, he has already been traumatised severely and it would only cause him further suffering to remove him from his family. I guess I would have to find a vet who would be willing to operate asap so your cat can recover and take payments from you rather than one full payment. I am sure there are vets out there who would do this. Please don't put him in to a kennel while he is injured. He needs the op asap. I now have health insurance for my cat which is something worth looking at in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

For a one off customer unknown to the vets I could understand the payment in full. But for a vet that knows you and knows that you have other animals its a bit harsh, especially considering the time of year.
    Have you tried the Blue cross? I don't know how they check your "neediness" but worth a phone call? They would probably also be open to a payment plan.
    Another option might be the vetrinary college in UCD. Dental schools do fillings etc at cost for supervised student training, maybe the vet school does too.

Good luck, I hope it works out well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Thank you all so much.
    I know its going to cost a lot.
    I think i will ring 1st thing and tell him to do nothing and try the blue cross,200e i could afford but i know its going to be huge.I had my boxer with him a 3 weeks ago little devil got on the trampoline and it cost 200e to get him sorted its just all eating into my xmas kids money.My boxer was ready early in the morning to come home on a Thursday i asked could i take him and drop it in on the Friday morning he said no ill put him in the kennels,Free of charge,got the money rushed to the vet and got the dog,I cant get my head around it at all.If it was a few quid i understand him thinking maybe im a bit of a risk but i even ring for info if something is up with my pets so i'm no stranger.So i know his response for the cat already.

The kennels is not an option at all.The cat should be home in her own peace and quiet.That option upset me so much i had sworn id never go back to him again but in the emergency i panicked.

• Advertisement

Just a small upate.
    I just rang the vet there he had just came in,I had a brief convo with him she is doing well at the moment,I said about the cost its going to be and that im seriously worried about my cat and cost.He said he would do x-ray and call me back the minute he knows,He is keeping her comfortable for now.From the tone i think he knows it will be expensive and i think ill get the option.Please god.
    Awake all night over my poor cat heartbroken.
    I truly can't see the reason for the kennels option,like what if i was the type and said yeah do that and ill collect her in 10 weeks time when i have the money saved.What would they actually do with my cat,rehome or something i don't get it.
    So ill see what happens after the xray and weather to take her out or not.I cant bear the thought of shifting her from vets-vets when she was in so much pain.He is a very good and a well known vet,Not really a people person just there for the animals which is why i like him.
    Im in kildare so just in case anyone can recommend their vet in worse case situ.
    Thanks.

Well option is sorted with the vet,And my cat was shot by a pellet gun.

triona1 wrote: »
    Just a small upate.
    I just rang the vet there he had just came in,I had a brief convo with him she is doing well at the moment,I said about the cost its going to be and that im seriously worried about my cat and cost.He said he would do x-ray and call me back the minute he knows,He is keeping her comfortable for now.From the tone i think he knows it will be expensive and i think ill get the option.Please god.
    Awake all night over my poor cat heartbroken.
    I truly can't see the reason for the kennels option,like what if i was the type and said yeah do that and ill collect her in 10 weeks time when i have the money saved.What would they actually do with my cat,rehome or something i don't get it.
    So ill see what happens after the xray and weather to take her out or not.I cant bear the thought of shifting her from vets-vets when she was in so much pain.He is a very good and a well known vet,Not really a people person just there for the animals which is why i like him.
    Im in kildare so just in case anyone can recommend their vet in worse case situ.
    Thanks.

I know it is an extremely hard time for you, but I have one slight consolation if you do have to go with the amputation offer it often works out a fair bit cheaper than if you have to go through orthopedic surgery with plates and pins then be put on 6-8 weeks crate rest watching the to make sure they don't jump on anything etc. With an amputation the recovery time is remarkably quick, around the same time as a neuter operation (though they may think they still have the leg for a while!) and as I said the cost isn't as great because proper ortho surgery is very specialized and very expensive. Please keep us updated!

Thanks SillyMangoX.
    Vet had said yesterday it was the best option for the cat,im happy enough with it she will be done today.Could have been worse and the payment option worked out grand too.The vet was very understanding,Think he was very annoyed over the pellet gun and soften.So all happy here.Cant wait to get her home will post pic.x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm a hunter and fire arms owner amongst many other things, but I just wanted to express my anger at hearing someone just shot your cat. Fcuking terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

It really makes my blood boil to think someone shot your cat. Why would anyone want to do something like that. Its utterly disgraceful.

Thanks Odysseus and loveisdivine.
    I know who it was but there is nothing that can be done,Garda are going to call in to make sure he has a licence and make sure he is aware that any weapon can not be used in an area with kids playing around and names wont be mentioned,also getting the pellet from vet just to see if its a toy gun or real(no idea about these things but garda wants to see it).But they cant prove it was him or can i,But he did tell my son before that if he ever see's the cat outside he would shot it no bother.And true to his word. So ill leave it to Karma and be glad i have my cat alive.

Not that it makes much difference but he does hunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thanks Odysseus and loveisdivine.
    I know who it was but there is nothing that can be done,Garda are going to call in to make sure he has a licence and make sure he is aware that any weapon can not be used in an area with kids playing around and names wont be mentioned,also getting the pellet from vet just to see if its a toy gun or real(no idea about these things but garda wants to see it).But they cant prove it was him or can i,But he did tell my son before that if he ever see's the cat outside he would shot it no bother.And true to his word. So ill leave it to Karma and be glad i have my cat alive.

Not that it makes much difference but he does hunt.

Toy pellet guns can't pierce the skin. Especially with a layer of fur above it. If it can then it is above 1 Joule of power and is considered a firearm under Irish law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Good to hear that your cat will be okay and that the vet is understanding regarding a payment plan (I'd have been amazed if he wasn't). Absolutely disgusting that someone would shoot a cat though. We let our little guy out when we're at home, and while cars are always a risk (although we live in a quiet estate and he doesn't roam far), someone new taking pot shots at a cat just for laughs is in a different category altogether. Anyways, hopefully she makes a speedy recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redappple

This is terrible. Can you image the poor thing being injured so badly that OP thought it was a car?

What kind of yoke would do such a thing? If it is a child or teenager I pray to God someone sorts them out as a human being before they become an adult.

Thanks Cuddlesworth.
    But even with the pellet when i get it from the vet the garda cant do anything so he can just carry on for sport.I asked this person before to call to my home if my cats were pestering so he had the option but followed through on his threat.
    Garda said nothing can be done.I said to the garda that he made the threat and now has followed through but still nothing.I dont want anything to happen just a warning not to use his gun in the estate with kids.
    My cats are house cats and would never be out for long,but the age old issue of how to confine a cat to owners garden.

Redapple its a man in his 40's.He told my 10 year old he would shoot the cat.and he has,I approached him over it and he told me he meant what he said that he would shoot my cat,i rang the garda then and they wanted to call to him but i choose the quiet option.Im not telling the kids ill go with the car story.I have 3 sons that would not be too happy.They are not ruff but animal lovers so you never no.....

She's a poser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

As far as I understand it cats have no protection under the law, so he is within his rights to shoot them, as long as his weapon is held legally. There are plenty of threads on here that talk about how to keep cats confined to their own gardens; cat runs, fencing, even roofing the garden with chickenwire. Unfortunately this is an example of how frustrated people can get with cats entering their property.

There are some sick sick people in this world. There are so many options to take before actually going out and shooting a cat, especially a family pet with young children as owners. They say hurting animals is one if the signs of being a phycopath...It doesn't matter how frustrated the neighbour is with a cat entering their property. There are other ways to solve the problem than attempting to kill the animal. For the sake of the OP don't let this thread derail into the same old debate on cat confinement, it won't help in this situation. I wish your little kitty a speedy recovery and am glad you managed to work something out with the vet.

But its against the law in an estate with kids to use a firearm.That's what i was told by the 1st guard i spoke too.
    I was worried that response would come up but i had nowhere else to come for vet advice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

kylith wrote: »
    As far as I understand it cats have no protection under the law, so he is within his rights to shoot them, as long as his weapon is held legally.

Whilst I know where you're coming from, I'm not entirely sure that this is true, at least it's not true when viewed using the animal cruelty laws. Whoever shot the cat has caused suffering, and wilfully so.

And it seems this man used a firearm in a housing estate? Unforgivable and illegal.

I hope your cat is ok OP, but there are quite a number of threads you can search for here which give info on how to keep your cat safely in your own garden. She might not escape with her life next time.

Thanks again all that replied.
    If its ok with you DBB ill get the thread locked now before it turns into a debate,ill look into the other threads.But the garda said you cant just go around a estate shooting pets willie nillie.At 11am in the morning with lots of kids playing.
    She is alive and that's all that matters.And i got some great advice.
    Thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

But its against the law in an estate with kids to use a firearm.That's what i was told by the 1st guard i spoke too.
    I was worried that response would come up but i had nowhere else to come for vet advice.

Yes you are correct you cannot dischage a fire arm in a built up area; so I would hope that he is spoken to on these grounds alone, and of course checking he holds the fire arm legally.

If he does hold it legally I hope they remember this incident the next time his license is up for renewal.

However, all of this is secondary to your concern for your pet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

In fairness to the vet, you say you can't borrow the money due to inability to pay it back. If that's the case, how can you expect to pay the vet? For your animal, the important step is to remove the suffering immediately and permanently, by whatever means you can manage.

Sorry can't quote.
    But this is the part im hoping too Odysseus

If he does hold it legally I hope they remember this incident the next time his license is up for renewal.

Yeah mitosis maybe ill just ask that man to finish my cat off.sad
    The money is sorted.read back on the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

my cat was shot by a pellet gun.

What a brave ****ing soldier.

I would go absolutely ape-shit if I caught someone doing that.

He has lovely pets that can roam freely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Thread closed at OP's request

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement