Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding for longer + cosleeping

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

lynski wrote: »
    We were away at the weekend and he slept through for 3 nights so i thought nightweaning here we come. no way, cried and cried for 2 nights and then I thought the hell with this, so I will wean him when he is ready now, anything for a decent nights sleep.

Have you tried Dr Jay Gordon's nightweaning technique. It worked beautifully for our son at 19 months, and he's pretty much slept through since then (he only wakes at night if he's sick or the room gets a little chilly).

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

i was talking about this at the weekend with people who thought it was " sick " and "weird" to b.feed longer and co sleep. as that's what i hope to do i must ignore all those comments and keep in mind its natural

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

pushkii wrote: »
    i was talking about this at the weekend with people who thought it was " sick " and "weird" to b.feed longer and co sleep. as that's what i hope to do i must ignore all those comments and keep in mind its natural

Stick to your guns pushkii! Jeez some people can be so ignorant and inconsiderate. It still surprises me how so many people are freaked out by breastfeeding! I was talking to a Swedish friend of mine about this the other day, she couldn't believe that I was in a very small minority to be still BFing at 4 months. She said in Sweden its just the done thing that everyone BFs for 2-3 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I'd say a lot of people do breastfeed and cosleep for longer than they let on and just don't say much about it, as it's not worth the hassle of dealing with reactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Meh, do whatever feels right and works best for you. There are loads of ways to mess up your kids without worrying about how they eat and sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I'm happy to mention that our first was BF/nursing till she was 6, the latter 3 years in tandem with her brother. They were both in the bed...its a big bed!

The brother was weaned when he was four, mainly to give Mum a rest after a hard 2 years when he was really ill. While not factually true, I do consider the fact that he was nursing during this time to be a life saver. He probably did get a lot of nourishment during this period from the nursing, more than usual, hence the need for the forced weaning for Mum to recover.

We have another boy in the bed now, but only getting going as he's still a wee lad at 14 months. No plans, but could well be nursing as long as his sister.

My daughter stopped nursing once her milk teeth started coming out. She had decided this quite a bit before hand. But for quite some time, perhaps from age 3 or earlier, its just a comfort feed once or twice a day. She was a great help when tandem to consume the excess! She left the bed soon after she stopped.

The next one who had the bad illness is now 7 and is still in the bed. Though for a few nights before Christmas he slept with his sister outside with no issue. No idea when he'll leave the bed, and we're not fussed.

As is mentioned many times in thread, just do what feels right and natural. This is different for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My "baby" is a 15 year old teenager now and I breastfed him until he was nearly 16 months old. I'd breastfed his older brother until he was 6 months old and I returned to work.

The younger lad was a nightmare to sleep at night, no bother putting him down in his crib/cot then after 2 hours he'd wake and then wake hourly and usually ended up in my bed during the night. This lasted until I weaned him at nearly 16 months and then followed Dr. Christopher Green's controlled crying technique which worked in 2 nights and he stayed in his cot and slept after that. I only regret that I didn't know about it sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

deisemum wrote: »
    My "baby" is a 15 year old teenager now and I breastfed him until he was nearly 16 months old. I'd breastfed his older brother until he was 6 months old and I returned to work.

The younger lad was a nightmare to sleep at night, no bother putting him down in his crib/cot then after 2 hours he'd wake and then wake hourly and usually ended up in my bed during the night. This lasted until I weaned him at nearly 16 months and then followed Dr. Christopher Green's controlled crying technique which worked in 2 nights and he stayed in his cot and slept after that. I only regret that I didn't know about it sooner.

I think I may need to look into something like that soon, as I just can't carry on much longer with so little sleep. My little one is 14 months. Sleeps grand from 7/8 til about midnight & then just keeps waking all night looking for boob. I try sitting up feeding her & then popping her into her cot, as when she's beside me in the bed, she thinks it's on tap for the night, but you know yourself, it's easier said than done. I do that during the 1st feed, but by number 2, 3, 4 etc., I have had enough & just lie down with her. I know there's a developmental leap coming up & she's gotten 3 molars in the last 2 weeks, so praying once she gets through leap & 4th tooth, she might calm down a bit. Don't mind last feed in the evening & 1st in the morning, but through the night is just wearing me down at this stage. Sitting in work here, after having her up from 12.30 to 3am and then feeding loads over night & awake by 7.30 - yawn!

Advertisement