Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xampp problem (phpMyAdmin and Apache really)

• 25-11-2012 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I have two problems, one is that I can't seem to be able to create a new database, specifically for testing something I don't want to overwrite a project that I am currently working on.

Error message begins with #1044 saying something like I can't create a database, now the option to create one has been wiped off and replaced by the notification "No privileges"

The second is with Apache, I can't stop the service in order to try debug what is going on with this phpMyAdmin

Using Windows 7 x64, is anyone using xampp or something similar?

Both localhost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭maxmarmalade

I use it on windows and I got around an awful lot of problems by installing it on D drive rather than C drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

The thing is, it is installed on the F drive since Windows in its infinite wisdom has put the Blu-ray drive on D, I know that I can change it, but there are also other software and other dependencies needing the F drive

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

nucker wrote: »
    The thing is, it is installed on the F drive since Windows in its infinite wisdom has put the Blu-ray drive on D, I know that I can change it, but there are also other software and other dependencies needing the F drive

Try running setup_xampp.bat in the xampp folder and let it relocate the folder if it asks to :)

Nick

All that said after executing that "There was nothing to do, Press any keys"

Had to un-install/re-install xampp again, it seems to be working fine, I hate it when bugs like this happen for no apparent reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

im running xampp on apple mac i think you should be running wamp server on windows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

tramoreman wrote: »
    im running xampp on apple mac i think you should be running wamp server on windows
    On that basis, you should be running a mamp server on MacOS.

The X stands for 'cross', meaning cross-platform.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

no xaamp actually runs fine for me on the mac

...yeah, I know, I was pointing out your flawed logic. MAMP is for MacOS. WAMP is for Windows. XAMPP is cross-platform

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

If you still have problems you could also try WAMP, not much difference in the two but I find WAMP much easier to use.

I've always used xampp despite its flaws and irritating fact you have to delete the htdocs folder and then start again with Netbeans whenever something goes wrong with xampp

Is there a way I can install phpMyAdmin via an update system, without it being installed manually?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Just as it runs fine for me on Windows, to be expected for a cross platform app though ;)

Nick

m/w/xampp==total rubbish software, has anyone got a better suggestion than this piece of sh*** localhost software?

nucker wrote: »
    m/w/xampp==total rubbish software, has anyone got a better suggestion than this piece of sh*** localhost software?
    What are you trying to do exactly? You could just install the various compents (Apache, PHP, MySQL) separately, XAMPP does away with a lot of the problems that brings though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

I find installing the OLD STABLE versions of apache and php much easier. Like the real old versions of apache and php are quite compatible and there's loads of information out there regarding on how to set them up then you can just download and install **** like phpmyadmin without half as many problems that xampp gives you. Not to mention xampp is so insecure I once had some pretty important files leaked onto the internet due to bugs in it. I high recommend you do NOT open any ports with that thing running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

mad turnip wrote: »
    I find installing the OLD STABLE versions of apache and php much easier. Like the real old versions of apache and php are quite compatible and there's loads of information out there regarding on how to set them up then you can just download and install **** like phpmyadmin without half as many problems that xampp gives you. Not to mention xampp is so insecure I once had some pretty important files leaked onto the internet due to bugs in it. I high recommend you do NOT open any ports with that thing running.

The main reason there is newer versions of Apache and PHP is that security vulnerabilities were found and patched. I don't like old versions of software, well especially web server software, too risky IMO.

28064212 wrote: »
    What are you trying to do exactly? You could just install the various compents (Apache, PHP, MySQL) separately, XAMPP does away with a lot of the problems that brings though

First it was the problems on the first posts, then when I set the root password since I wanted Dreamweaver to be connected, when I did that, this is what I got when I tried to browse it in firefox

270101_4897933687497_915974956_n.jpg

found the following when searching might help you

Apache, I can't stop the service in order to try debug what is going on with this phpMyAdmin
    run the XAMPP Control Panel as Administrator. Either right click on the program or shortcut and choose "Run As Administrator" or right-click on the program and shortcut and choose Properties, under the Compatibility tab, check the box setting the program to always run at the administrator privilege level.

Error message begins with #1044 saying something like I can't create a database, now the option to create one has been wiped off and replaced by the notification "No privileges"
    Check this line in the config.inc.php file looks like this:
    $cfg[$i] = 'cookie';

If you have not set a password for the super user root for MySQL/phpMyAdmin in the security page then when asked for a username in phpMyAdmin you use just root not (root@YoMammasPlace etc. no privileges for this root user) and don't enter a password then click on Go and you should have privileges of the super user root which is all.

found the following when searching might help you

Apache, I can't stop the service in order to try debug what is going on with this phpMyAdmin
    run the XAMPP Control Panel as Administrator. Either right click on the program or shortcut and choose "Run As Administrator" or right-click on the program and shortcut and choose Properties, under the Compatibility tab, check the box setting the program to always run at the administrator privilege level.

Check this line in the config.inc.php file looks like this:
    $cfg[$i] = 'cookie';

If you have not set a password for the super user root for MySQL/phpMyAdmin in the security page then when asked for a username in phpMyAdmin you use just root not (root@YoMammasPlace etc. no privileges for this root user) and don't enter a password then click on Go and you should have privileges of the super user root which is all.

Thanks, but I had to re-install xampp for the umpteenth time this week, it seems to be working at the moment

Advertisement