Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitch sheepdog turned aggressive

• 25-11-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

12 yr old bitch sheepdog cross had a litter of three pups there recently. The pups didn't survive but the dog has since become aggressive towards other dogs whereas previously she was very docile almost went out of her way to avoid other dogs. Just wondering if the two are linked.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Can I ask how and why on earth was a 12 year old dog doing having pups?? Is it your dog and if so how did you allow this to happen??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

12 years old!? That's like a 72 year old woman having a child. No wonder they died! I'd be getting her to a vet if I were you, could be a very big risk for infection such as pyometra which could be a cause for the aggression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    12 yr old bitch sheepdog cross had a litter of three pups there recently. The pups didn't survive but the dog has since become aggressive towards other dogs whereas previously she was very docile almost went out of her way to avoid other dogs. Just wondering if the two are linked.

Really need some clarity here.... You posting this question here won't end well unless you provide context and the reason why such an old dog - one assumes - in your care had pups....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Your post is a little vague so giving advice is difficult - personally, I would bring the dog to the vet to make sure she is ok health wise, espically after having a litter of pups at her age. Dogs tend to express themselves in odd ways and can become aggressive due to pain, fear, hormones... there are loads of reasons. Your vet is the best person to advise you in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Sorry, to clarify.
    Dog is not mine or in my care, I am just concerned for the dog.
    Its a working sheepdog, locked up when in heat. (The argument about getting it neutered has been going on since year 1, nothing but excuses back).
    I will again tell the owner to bring her to the vet.
    Thanks,

• Advertisement
Advertisement