Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing a passport

Options
  • 26-11-2012 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭

Hi guys - I'm renewing my passport at the moment, and am going mad trying to figure out where I can get my application witnessed here. I went along to a few police stations bit they're not allowed do it unlesss they know the person. Tried some churches as well but they "don't do that". I'm new enough to London so don't actually have a doctor yet...was considering trying to set up an appointment with one to get it witnessed, but that seems a bit extreme! I reckon I'll just have to pay a notary to do it, but does anyone have any suggestions of anyone else who might?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Pay a solicitor, legally they have to do it for a fiver per document/page.

John

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

blondie83 wrote: »
    Hi guys - I'm renewing my passport at the moment, and am going mad trying to figure out where I can get my application witnessed here. I went along to a few police stations bit they're not allowed do it unlesss they know the person. Tried some churches as well but they "don't do that". I'm new enough to London so don't actually have a doctor yet...was considering trying to set up an appointment with one to get it witnessed, but that seems a bit extreme! I reckon I'll just have to pay a notary to do it, but does anyone have any suggestions of anyone else who might?

I got mine done by the Postmaster in the post office next to the passport office, just across from Gloucester Road station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

what are the categories listed on the form?

and more importantly, why is there a photo of a guy waterskiing on the passport renewal page of the embassy??

http://www.embassyofireland.co.uk/home/index.aspx?id=33722

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I struggled with the same problem 2 years ago. I was sent round in circles for a few weeks trying numerous police stations and churches too.

It turns out that there's a post office just around the corner from the passport office where the post master was more than happy to do it.

I can't guarantee this is still the case but it's worth a try.

I think this was the one:

Knightsbridge
    6 Raphael Street
    London
    Greater London
    SW7 1DL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Cheers thanks guys - will try the postmaster tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Or you could pay a solicitor and know it'll be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Yeah it's a bit of a problem because the British passport notarising rule is that you must know the person for two years but the Irish one is just being satisfied that the person in front of you is who they say they are. Obviously British police, doctors, etc are a bit wary of putting their name to something when they don't know the person and so decline.

My girlfriend spent a day wandering around Knightsbridge trying to sort this out and eventually had to pay a solicitor £20 to do it. She was one of the lucky ones as we lived in Brighton at the time, other people in the queue had taken overnight buses from glasgow and manchester and were tearing their hair out. She did try the postmaster with no luck but since other people have succeeded this way try him/her first.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Interestingly, I'm sure teachers used to be included on the accepted list - I got one of the teaching academics at my workplace to endorse my last passport renewal. You could also try the bank manager at your local bank, though that'll vary from bank to bank...

Where possible I prefer to avoid paying someone for the 30-second task that is confirming I've not used someone else's photo or used a made-up name on my passport application. Sure, doing so may solve the problem, but I object to the idea of having to pay for it (even if the source of the problem is the Department of Foreign Affairs rather than anyone here).

Hmm - seems the post office in Gloucester Road charges £20 for it now - they must have been feed up with everyone coming into them! I've contacted a couple of notarys and solicitors, but getting quotes of £50 and £60 from them which is a bit ridiculous, so I reckon I'll go with the post people. Can't believe it's so much trouble for something so straightforward!

http://www.prince-evans.co.uk/ in Ealing did it for me for £10 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Was in a similar situation myself a while back, might be some info on an old thread? Sorry to drag it up but can't trawl thru it on the phone...http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056222352?page=1
    I couldn't get a teacher to sign, it had to be a head teacher.. Check in your borough as you might have a commissioner of the peace who will do it, most likely tho for a small donation. For peace of mind Id fork out for a solicitor tho :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Lump wrote: »
    http://www.prince-evans.co.uk/ in Ealing did it for me for £10 I think.

What exactly did they do as I am arguing the toss with the lawyer I use for all certified copies and notarisations and he is trying to whack 50

I reckon a £10 is a fair price

If you list what your pitbull did then am sure he will agree, as it be central London it should be helpful to other people

ps anyone know if the gits will now accept the short form birth cert

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Come.with.me

I got mine done in the bank no problem, avoid paying someone if you can. What a money racket!!

I believe they photocopied the old passport and signed it saying "I John Smith, confirm that this is a true copy" he then signed the 2 photos.

He signed a copy of my passport as I had to send apply for a new one, but needed my old one to travel with. It was a right kerfuffle.

I hada bit of banter with the guy, he's not my solicitor, didn't even use him when buying my flat, by law I believe they can only charge a specific amount, and anyone else is trying to pull the wool over yer eyes.

The government/law council must have realised that it's a pain in the ass for people to get official copies.

I'll be honest the whole thing is a joke, you think someone in the f*cking embassey could sign the back of the photos, given that it's just to prove the photos are a true likeness of the person in front of them.

Re-newing my passport wasn't a good experience, make sure you have EVERYTHING signed and correct when you go to the embassey/passport office.

John

Hmm,

It appears that company might be in the minority. I did find this:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/document-certification-service

Lump wrote: »
    I believe they photocopied the old passport and signed it saying "I John Smith, confirm that this is a true copy" he then signed the 2 photos.

He signed a copy of my passport as I had to send apply for a new one, but needed my old one to travel with. It was a right kerfuffle.

I hada bit of banter with the guy, he's not my solicitor, didn't even use him when buying my flat, by law I believe they can only charge a specific amount, and anyone else is trying to pull the wool over yer eyes.

The government/law council must have realised that it's a pain in the ass for people to get official copies.

I'll be honest the whole thing is a joke, you think someone in the f*cking embassey could sign the back of the photos, given that it's just to prove the photos are a true likeness of the person in front of them.

Re-newing my passport wasn't a good experience, make sure you have EVERYTHING signed and correct when you go to the embassey/passport office.

John

he did a certified copy of the passport, and then signed the two photos

good deal.

Must wander down and get an application form, this is the sort of thing I do for a living just always want to know the cheapest and quickest way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

blondie83 wrote: »
    Hmm - seems the post office in Gloucester Road charges £20 for it now - they must have been feed up with everyone coming into them! I've contacted a couple of notarys and solicitors, but getting quotes of £50 and £60 from them which is a bit ridiculous, so I reckon I'll go with the post people. Can't believe it's so much trouble for something so straightforward!

I got it done for £10 a couple of years ago by a solicitor. I just walked in off the street on my lunch break and it was done there and then. £50 is ridiculous!

Grand got a guy who's a solicitor who's doing it for £5 in the end...seems like a good deal after some of the others! For anyone looking at this in the future looking for someone he's nkotani@excellolaw.co.uk and is located in Fulham. Thanks for all the responses here, really helped :)

Advertisement