Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Toy Show ** Read Mod Note in Post 1 **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

As much as I've been making fun of Ryan and pissing myself laughing at the slightly inappropriate things he said throughout the show, I do actually think he's good with children. He acts natural around them and actually often brings out the best in them. It's not like Pat Kenny struggling to have any sort of craic with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Cant believe RTE had a prize to seaworld. Any educated child knows its a fcked up zoo where the dolpihns die regularly of just being plain pissed off and bored. The other dolphins that werent cute enough to make it to a dolpinarium were hacked to death in a slow cruel manner and the orcas jusmping playfully in the background of Jedward have killed a several trainers despite never having killed a human in the wild. Explain to the kids whats happening and they wont want to go in there. Its a freak show.

Did you ever find Snowy... ?

200px-AceVenturaFilm.PNG

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Haha, dude I hunt and kill things for food from the oceans not a tree hugger. If you saw the industry behind this **** you might change your mind.
    Did you ever find Snowy... ?

200px-AceVenturaFilm.PNG

:D

cofy wrote: »
    I really feel like this is his neech. Every interview with his adult guests seems so contrived and pre-judged. He can bring out so much in children that he seems so confined in adult interviewees.

I know I'm a cynic, but I actually think a lot of the interaction with the kids is staged.... I reckon the kid was told to say "Níl" and that was his trigger to move along... He prompted another kid "Did you ever win an award or anything?".... I think the kid that said "ah here" was also prompted.... And there was something one of the book kids said that was meant to be "offensive" to Tubridy as well (cant remember what, maybe somebody can help me out)...

I think a lot of it IS contrived..

Haha, dude I hunt and kill things for food from the oceans not a tree hugger. If you saw the industry behind this **** you might change your mind.

Well tbh, I couldnt understand why they flew JEDward there to promote it in the first place.. They did something similar with the holiday last year as well... i.e. give the presenter a holiday to the location to film some footage to promote the holiday prize....

I mean, could they not just green screen the twins in ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

My kids loved it. They were in fits at Tubridy, contrived or not, they just didn't watch it at that level.
    They loved the spraying cream bits, the horrible dentist bit, the shooting and fencing bits, the set, and all the performances had them enthralled.

They took everything at face value, as you'd expect, and had a fantastic time watching the show tonight. I think that's what it's all about really.
    And it was nice that there was no pop act, just kids.
    That was a very successful kids' show, and as an adult I also enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I know I'm a cynic, but I actually think a lot of the interaction with the kids is staged.... I reckon the kid was told to say "Níl" and that was his trigger to move along... He prompted another kid "Did you ever win an award or anything?".... I think the kid that said "ah here" was also prompted.... And there was something one of the book kids said that was meant to be "offensive" to Tubridy as well (cant remember what, maybe somebody can help me out)...

I think a lot of it IS contrived..
    Ya I think a lot of tonights show was contrived, but not from DLB's people, I really feel alot of it came from the children, I have never seen that kind of naturalism and ease come from any of the normal guests on the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

This is where I have to disagree with you. It felt like Ryan is always liberated when dealing with children. I really feel like this is his neech. Every interview with his adult guests seems so contrived and pre-judged. He can bring out so much in children that he seems so confined in adult interviewees.

Have to say no way to this - as rubbish as he is with adults (who for the most part are nobodies anyway), he is a complete twit when it comes to kids.

He just isn't of the right caliber for the Late Late Show.

And it is so obvious, that even after all this time that he is still bricking it every Friday through every show.

He is in his 3rd year now and still hasn't relax - that might be a sign that it isn't for him.

Plus I'm well fed up of him banging on about the economy, recessions and budgets.

What does he know about financial problems?

Even the Toy Show isn't free of his waffle - barely a half hour in and he had to pass a comment about the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

To be fair to Tubbs, he's a damn sight better than Pat Kenny who was absolutely brutal when it came to the toy show. I think Tubbs has a natural rapport with children and that comes across on the toy show. (*Runs for cover!!!*)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

The industry I am talking about is the dolphin capture industry as opposed to the entertainment industry. Watch the Film the Cove if you can. If you dont get a sick feeling in your stomach when the slaughter takes place I'd be surprised. When I kill a fish I do it as quickly as possible. I dont just keep stabbing it repeatedly till it dies from blood loss.
    Well tbh, I couldnt understand why they flew JEDward there to promote it in the first place.. They did something similar with the holiday last year as well... i.e. give the presenter a holiday to the location to film some footage to promote the holiday prize....

I mean, could they not just green screen the twins in ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

InisMor wrote: »
    Have to say no way to this - as rubbish as he is with adults (who for the most part are nobodies anyway), he is a complete twit when it comes to kids.

He just isn't of the right caliber for the Late Late Show.

And it is so obvious, that even after all this time that he is still bricking it every Friday through every show.

He is in his 3rd year now and still hasn't relax - that might be a sign that it isn't for him.

Plus I'm well fed up of him banging on about the economy, recessions and budgets.

What does he know about financial problems?

Even the Toy Show isn't free of his waffle - barely a half hour in and he had to pass a comment about the budget.

I agree with the bolded bits.

To be fair to Tubbs, he's a damn sight better than Pat Kenny who was absolutely brutal when it came to the toy show. I think Tubbs has a natural rapport with children and that comes across on the toy show. (*Runs for cover!!!*)

Pat Kenny is more suited to politics, it's where his interests lies, and he gave bland but straightforward Toy Story.

Tubridy is all over the place and a constant bag of nerves.

And as to contrived - the whole hugging and playful Ryan was just eye rolling and so forced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

Why were Union J on it? They're nobodies and we don't need another one direction puffing out the population.

The industry I am talking about is the dolphin capture industry as opposed to the entertainment industry. Watch the Film the Cove if you can. If you dont get a sick feeling in your stomach when the slaughter takes place I'd be surprised. When I kill a fish I do it as quickly as possible. I dont just keep stabbing it repeatedly till it dies from blood loss.

Yes, seen the Cove and pretty brutal.

As to flying Jedward over and a prize of €20,000 - where's your beloved recession, Tubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

can we make 100 pages!

As to flying Jedward over and a prize of €20,000 - where's your beloved recession, Tubs?

Presumably they make a very tidy profit from those phone-in competitions. At €1 a pop, it doesn't take too many entrants for them to break even, and considering the audience numbers for the Late Late Toy Show are huge, it can't be too long before RTE are in profit..

I agree with the bolded bits.

But cofy, he is forever going on about "the state of things" and "these dark times" - he just couldn't resist again tonight - the Toy Show is meant to be a bit of fun and escapism where he just forget the crap for that night.

Presumably they make a very tidy profit from those phone-in competitions. At €1 a pop, it doesn't take too many entrants for them to break even, and considering the audience numbers for the Late Late Toy Show are huge, it can't be too long before RTE are in profit..

So that's how they do it?

Do they split the money with Eircom?

can we make 100 pages!

^ self fulfilling prophecy ..... check!

So that's how they do it?

Do they split the money with Eircom?

Even if they split the money with Eircom or Phonovation or whoever, I can't see how RTE wouldn't make a profit on the whole thing. It's not like the old days of the postal competition where the only profiteers were An Post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Oh, I can't sleep.

I think it's the BB children.....They always make me itch.

What's happening???....:)

.......Why do you always wake up when everyone has gone asleep????.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

can we make 100 pages!
    Only 62 to go :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

you wierdos with your non default pages :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

As much as I've been making fun of Ryan and pissing myself laughing at the slightly inappropriate things he said throughout the show, I do actually think he's good with children. He acts natural around them and actually often brings out the best in them.

Its a pity he can't do that with adult interviewees, especially film stars (the few that bother to come here now), he's extraordinarily nervous around them, you're just waiting for the inevitable car crash moment at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

A cube

http://www.smythstoys.com/tv-game-show-games-860sc/the-cube-107264itm.aspx

To be honest with you Ryan, I hadn't a clue what to do with the cube but the box looked cool, so I think I'll give it a 10 out of 10.

A turtle

http://www.smythstoys.com/turtles-1170sc/-125411itm.aspx

Well, to be honest Ryan, I've accidentally killed so many real ones my mam won't let me have any other ones. I'd give the real ones 10 out of 10 but the toys, well I'd probably give them a 9 out of 10 because fanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I want the caterpillar that was shown early on in the show, just trying to locate where to purchase it now.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I want the caterpillar that was shown early on in the show, just trying to locate where to purchase it now.

That's not a proper review though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes, seen the Cove and pretty brutal.

Aer lingus covered flights and the rest if the trip was covered by the seaworld. They were listed on the credits as sponsors. Think of it as a commercial. The prize money would also have been covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

MrsD007 wrote: »
    That's not a proper review though.

I found him, he is gorgeous, I'm going to buy him tomorrow in Smyths :D

http://www.toys.ie/-!122783-prd.aspx

Advertisement