Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend Activities for kids in the D15 area

Options
  • 26-11-2012 5:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I was hoping some D15er’s could help me with this one (probably aimed at those with young kids who have the inside track on these sorts of things).

My sister and her husband have recently moved to the Castleknock area. Although I’m a born and bred D15er, I haven’t been living in the country for the last couple of years (but I am coming home for Christmas this year thankfully) and I was hoping to get some good Christmas presents for my two nephews (aged 2yrs and 5yrs) considering I don’t see them as much as good uncle should.

Anyway, I was hoping to steer clear of material gifts for the most part (I know I’ll have to pick them up something small or they’ll think I’m a terrible uncle) and get them something that they might be able to do on a weekend morning or afternoon with one parent while the other parent gets a bit of time to themselves. I was thinking along the lines of swimming lessons or something similar…..So what I’m really after is some advice of activities that might be on in the area at weekends that fit the bill? With regard to budget, I was hoping to spend between 250-300 euro for both kids. So if any parents out there have any ideas for me, I’d more than appreciate it.

Thanks
    Meathead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Drama classes in Draiocht

Swimming and diving lessons in the NAC

Riding lessons at Ashtown Stables

Ice skating at the rink in Castleknock

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

As a parent probably the best idea I can give you is to rein back on the budget a little, that seems way way OTT for a 2 and 5 yr old - but that's a discussion for the parenting forum maybe!

For that age groups something simple like Giraffe centre or similar would probably be best, followed by a bit of grub somewhere. THere's a place in town called the Ark that does a lot of childrens' activities you might find something there. Also check out Draiocht or any of the other theatres for a Christmas panto, always go down well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ah Giraffe centre, Gaspode, you bring back some memories! Long closed down now though!

As a parent, I'd HATE for my child to get a present like this... another activity to drag them too and they might not even like it...

What I suggest you do, is rather than buy them a course of something, when you are home for Christmas is to take them both off for the day, Go Kids Go in Coolmine would be perfect, then for some food in one of the restaurants in the centre, TGI's and Captain America's both have nice kids menu's and they don't break the bank. It'll give the parents an afternoon off too!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I like idea of swimming classes - a skill that will stand to them. And something that a parent would have to buy themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Dublin zoo family annual pass is 165 quid for the year, for unlimited access.
    https://www.dublinzoo.ie/68/Annual-Pass.aspx

Either parent can take time them or you can, when they are that young you can get a lot out of the pass by taking them in for many short trips on a regular bases to feature different animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sharrow wrote: »

Either parent can take time them or you can, when they are that young you can get a lot out of the pass by taking them in for many short trips on a regular bases to feature different animals.

Oh that's a really good idea Sharrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Sharrow wrote: »

Oooh I like this one too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Oooh I like this one too!!!
    Me too. It's a perfect way to knacker the kids out on a sunday afternoon while still being healthy fun. Most kids and adults love the zoo. I was there 3 times this year.Maybe sponsor them an animal so they would get extra excited for going there to see how their "zoo pet" is doing. I was animal obsessed at 5...you'd have been the BEST uncle ever if i got that as a present :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

We use the Zoo a lot. With the pass you can just go in for a 30 mins and a coffee as suits. Great idea as a present.

• Advertisement
Advertisement