Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you fear death?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

philologos wrote: »
    Look at the other thread about Jesus in AH. I've explained why I can trust the accounts concerning Him.

No, you have not really. Your "explanations" are basically made up of:

1) Saying it all makes sense to you therefore it must be true and
    2) Saying his mates would not have acted the way they did had it not been true.

Neither of which is even close to being an explanation or evidence. Anything else you have ever offered has been thoroughly dealt with numerous times but you do not reply to _those_ posts do you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

No, you have not really. Your "explanations" are basically made up of:

1) Saying it all makes sense to you therefore it must be true and
    2) Saying his mates would not have acted the way they did had it not been true.

Neither of which is even close to being an explanation or evidence. Anything else you have ever offered has been thoroughly dealt with numerous times but you do not reply to _those_ posts do you.

This is not the A&A forum, GTFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Nor are you a moderator. This is a general discussion forum on many topics of interest to people here. If a user makes a point here then I am perfectly in my rights to make a counter point. If the thread bothers you then I question the wisdom of reading it and suggest you may find another more to your liking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

"Death makes angels of us all and gives us wings where we had shoulders smooth as ravens claws".

Jim Morrison

He really did come out with some awful shíte.

As for me I don't fear death one bit. There is no afterlife good bad or otherwise. We die and thats it. I find that somewhat liberating. Knowing that I can enjoy this one and only life I have without feeling the need to owe something to higher being or worship a deity that I never chose to accept.

Life after death is the same as life before conception. Non existant. Nothing to be scared of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭somairle

I have sleepless nights from time-to-time coz I'm so scared of it.
    Not religious too, but I don't think that's the reason.
    I like living, I just don't want to die. Too many things to do and see and experience. I fell like I'm constantly running out of time.

I'm the same, not so much sleepless nights but when I think about I get that 'oh god' feeling in the stomach. For me it is purely about not experiencing life anymore, so much will happen in the future that I will never experience & that scares me/ makes me sad.

I need to start enjoying life more & making the most of the time I do have!

(I'm not religious n don't believe in an afterlife)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Tbh the older I get, even though im still in my mid 20s i know, the more I fear death! Id never worry about it when I was younger, it was just something that would never happen to me is what I would think.
    As people have said here previous and I have to agree seriously, its the whole not existing thing that scares me, also the fear of dying in your sleep/not knowing whats going to happen, and also being buried or cremated as I dont like the thought of either, especially cremated! :(
    Best not to think of these things though if your scared of it, as you only wreck your brain, worry too much, and then end up dying anyway!
    I consider myself spiritual but not reiligous, so I do think/hope that death isnt the absolute and final end, and that there is something after this, more likely imho a constant loop where were just born again as someone/something and just go on like that.
    Enjoy the here and now to the most you can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

I don't fear being dead., I hope to arrange the act of dying with as much dignity as I can muster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

As for me I don't fear death one bit. There is no afterlife good bad or otherwise. We die and thats it. I find that somewhat liberating. Knowing that I can enjoy this one and only life I have without feeling the need to owe something to higher being or worship a deity that I never chose to accept.

Life after death is the same as life before conception. Non existant. Nothing to be scared of.

....errr and how do you know all this :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

It is the mind killer. The little death that brings total obliteration.

Beaten to it!

I think it's instinctive to fear death. Survival and whatnot.

I'd like to say I don't, but I think I'll be sh!tting it when the time comes. Certainly afterwards anyway.

Better carry some toilet paper...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pacly

I don't fear death as much as I fear missing out on life. (if that makes sense)

I hate worrying about stupid things when I could die tomorrow!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I did when I was younger, but since it's inevitible no matter what, then for me personally I don't fear a quick, painless death. I'm also glad not to know when it'll happen. However I would fear a slow and agonizing death or being paralysed from an accident, getting Alzheimers, etc, or being in a situation where you know you'll die, such as a plane crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Occasionally I do, yeah. I'm more afraid of those I love dying around me. I don't want to be the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭chrissb7

Yeah in the middle of the night when I'm questioning my position in life.I usually fall asleep and do it alllll over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I don't fear death. I've had one or two scares that had me on the real threshold with regards to actual fear...
    I have to throw this in. People say they fear death or this and that, but what they really mean is they feel angst. It's fears retarded little cousin. Real fear is cataclysmic and exhilarating and all sorts of other superfluous and grandiose words.
    I've felt the fear of death and it's primordial and there's nothing you can do about it, but I don't fear it, which is to say I don't fear fear. And if there is nothing to fear but fear itself then I declare that I don't in fact fear death.

I hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

I stopped believing in God recently, and since then life and death and everything in general is a lot easier to put up with and accept. I'm not worried about death because once I'm gone, I won't be aware of it.

Since I accepted that I no longer believe in God, I'm interested in just living life, I'm not too worried at all about what's in store. I just want to enjoy everything I can. So far, making my own decision on religion has been a very good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

Is death sore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

No, I'm just afraid spending my last hours, attached to machines

• Site Banned Posts: 26 doccbh

No point in fearing death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

im a very curious person and thats what makes me want to stick around. i want to see what will happen in the future but otherwise it doesnt matter to me. i wont know any difference anyway.
    It will be just how it was before i was born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I don't fear death.. I love life and so I don't think about my death in any way, shape or form.

People say you only live once, feck that ~ you only die once, you live every minute of your time on earth.

Tbh I'm having a ball & don't want to think about closing time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭megaten

Petrified. The thought that I will cease to exist is one of very few things that give me genuine fear. It's definitely the loss of conciousness I hate the sensation of falling asleep and get frightened if I notice it. I'm hoping it will fade with age though since most older people I know seem completely unconcerned with their own deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I don't fear death, but I love my husband so much I don't like the though of being with out him and I know he would be devastated with out me so I would be very upset all round at leaving him on his own. I do believe in a higher power, but if it turns out there is no higher power I take comfort from the idea of fertilising the earth when i die in fact I think the idea of life being a circle is a very comforting one.

I believe that my husband an 1 will be together forever when we both die and which ever of us dies first will just have to wait for the other one,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Being dead, no. Dying, absolutely. If I ever get something serious I plan on taking myself out of the picture good and early by my own hand while I still can.
    My biggest fear though is something like locked in syndrome. There are states of living that I would regard as far worse than dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

'I was dead for millions of years before I was born,...... without so much as the slightest inconvenience ' - Mark Twain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I fear dying,but not death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

Oh I hope they figure out how to stop ageing pretty soon. Id stay thirty forever quite happily. I'm enjoying my life a lot, its not perfect and I have worries too about the future but I also have a hell of a lot I want to do before I clock out.

I don't fear death but I don't want it to come any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

now that i have a very young child i fear an early death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

I don't fear death, I fear not been able to clear my internet history before I die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I don't fear death as such. I fear the experience of a fatal heart attack or a severe stroke before death. Now where did I put my 20 Benson and 6 pack of Heineken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I have too much work on to die just now. It might be an option in a year or two. I think they'd stand my corpse up and make it work, tbh. At this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

absolutely terrified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, just like my father did, and not screaming and roaring like his passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Funnily enough OP I feared death far more as a Catholic than I do as an atheist. I don't really fear the concept any more. I have no reason to if I don't believe any of that bible judgement bollocks, or feel uncomfortable about returning to the same state I was in before I was born. Whenever the time comes it will come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

When I was younger, I used to be very afraid of death. Now, it wouldnt really bother me if I didnt make it past the weekend... well, after Love/Hate is over..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Agreed with others in this thread, as an atheist death is far less worrying now.
    Thinking about it, the prospect of living for eternity scares me more than death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭Bodhran

"Death be not proud, though some have called thee mighty and powerfull, thou art not so".... I forget the rest. !

DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,
    For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
    Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
    From rest and sleepe, which but thy pictures bee, 5
    Much pleasure, then from thee, much more must flow,
    And soonest our best men with thee doe goe,
    Rest of their bones, and soules deliverie.
    Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings, and desperate men,
    And dost with poyson, warre, and sicknesse dwell, 10
    And poppie, or charmes can make us sleepe as well,
    And better then thy stroake; why swell'st thou then;
    One short sleepe past, wee wake eternally,
    And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Agreed with others in this thread, as an atheist death is far less worrying now.
    Thinking about it, the prospect of living for eternity scares me more than death.

Im an atheist too, thank god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

No, there's no point! It's going to happen.

What I do fear though is not doing the things I want to get done before I end up in the ground.

Also, id rather not be shot in the face or exploded.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

The only thing that would REALLY worry me is the thought of dying before giving something back to the species. Weird, I know, but that bothers me more than anything else.
    After that, heaven sounds boring. Since you're not 'alive' I don't think we'd have bodily functions or desires - no food, no repreduction instinct, no endorphins...just flying around with halos. Fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The only thing that would REALLY worry me is the thought of dying before giving something back to the species.

Are you taking about that tenner you owe me.. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

This threads been done already:

'To fear death, gentlemen, is no other than to think oneself wise when one is not, to think one knows what one does not know. No one knows whether death may not be the greatest of all blessings for a man, yet men fear it as if they knew that it is the greatest of evils. And surely it is the most blameworthy ignorance to believe that one knows what one does not know.'

APOLOGY OF SOCRATES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Not at all. I'll only be returning to my state before birth. That didn't do me any harm. I fear a slow painful death though.

Concur with all the atheists. Not having to worry about saying prayers etc is a great help to me in the not giving a toss about death department.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Oh I hope they figure out how to stop ageing pretty soon. Id stay thirty forever quite happily. I'm enjoying my life a lot, its not perfect and I have worries too about the future but I also have a hell of a lot I want to do before I clock out.

I don't fear death but I don't want it to come any time soon.

Why do you care if you don't do everything you want to do before you die?

You'll be dead anyway so you won't realise you haven't done everything. So long as you are enjoying your life what difference does it make?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Agricola wrote: »
    Not at all. I'll only be returning to my state before birth. That didn't do me any harm. I fear a slow painful death though.

Concur with all the atheists. Not having to worry about saying prayers etc is a great help to me in the not giving a toss about death department.

not afraid of it at all.also I don't understand why we should fear having to explain ourselves to God either. the way I see it if God exists, he owes us an explaination. Seriously there's so much hurt and pain in the world. Some people have really terrible lives. Why would these people need to explain themselves to God when he put them through it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

smurgen wrote: »
    not afraid of it at all.also I don't understand why we should fear having to explain ourselves to God either. the way I see it if God exists, he owes us an explaination. Seriously there's so much hurt and pain in the world. Some people have really terrible lives. Why would these people need to explain themselves to God when he put them through it?
    Got a good lol from that. If I trolled I'd post that in the Christianity forum.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Got a good lol from that. If I trolled I'd post that in the Christianity forum.:p

why is that so funny? If there's a God then he stood by while millions/billions of innocents were raped, tortured,murdered etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

Gauss wrote: »
    Why do you care if you don't do everything you want to do before you die?

You'll be dead anyway so you won't realise you haven't done everything. So long as you are enjoying your life what difference does it make?

Damn you and your logic :D. Well the things I want to do are things that will make me happy, I like happiness and enjoy being happy therefore I would prefer to be alive feeling happy than dead in the ground. That's all I meant by it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Nor are you a moderator. This is a general discussion forum on many topics of interest to people here. If a user makes a point here then I am perfectly in my rights to make a counter point. If the thread bothers you then I question the wisdom of reading it and suggest you may find another more to your liking.

Yea but, I want to read about whether or not people fear death. That is what this thread is specifically about. You are not discussing that topic. You have an entire forum dedicated to what you wish to discuss, so, you know..........

Anyway:rolleyes: No, I do not fear death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I fear dying much more than I fear death.

As Eve Dublin said, its the thought of people I love dying that terrifies me. Or the thought of being old and dying alone as the last one of my family.

I'm better off avoiding thinking about it at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

The only thing that would REALLY worry me is the thought of dying before giving something back to the species. Weird, I know, but that bothers me more than anything else.
    After that, heaven sounds boring. Since you're not 'alive' I don't think we'd have bodily functions or desires - no food, no repreduction instinct, no endorphins...just flying around with halos. Fun.

But maybe that stuff is fun for a disembodied consciousness? Like MDMA for ghosts or something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement