Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread

Options
  • 26-11-2012 6:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

Hi all...pretty banal question but there you go

The bread here sucks! does anyone know anywhere in the bay area where I can get proper sliced sandwich bread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Hi all...pretty banal question but there you go

The bread here sucks! does anyone know anywhere in the bay area where I can get proper sliced sandwich bread?

What do you like, pat the baker, brennans? Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    What do you like, pat the baker, brennans? Where are you based?

Any sandwich pan would be great (brennans, pat the baker are both good) - I am in Inner Sunset of San Francisco, and have tried all manner of bread with no joy.

Try foodireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Another option may be to buy a bread machine...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I don't have anything to ad but a question. I have heard this lots of times before, that American bread is horrible, what is so different about it? I have a never tasted it so I am just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bake your own brown bread and leave it out on the window-sill wrapped in a tea-towel to cool down. The Yanks will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I would kill for a good Bakery here in Seattle.

I know there are some dotted around.

But remarkably there's not one single one thats convenient in a 15 mile daily commute.

*grumble*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Bake your own brown bread and leave it out on the window-sill wrapped in a tea-towel to cool down. The Yanks will love it.

Actually... those bread machines are amazing. And I've thought about getting one.

Minimal setup the night before, set the timer and you get up to fresh bread in the morning. My sister has one.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_scat_289917_ln?rh=n%3A289917%2Ck%3Abread+machine&keywords=bread+machine&ie=UTF8&qid=1354054639&scn=289917&h=856ac5b61bdf6e62034df242f4023abe615c2bcf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I don't have anything to ad but a question. I have heard this lots of times before, that American bread is horrible, what is so different about it? I have a never tasted it so I am just curious.
    I find it's so packed with sugars and crap it actually tastes sweet.

I find it's so packed with sugars and crap it actually tastes sweet.

I agree, I have recently found some cuisine de france baguettes which are just like the ones at home. Most bread is sweet here (even white sliced pan) and often choc full of preservatives. I am always amused how long bread keeps over here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonny_D

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I would kill for a good Bakery here in Seattle.

I know there are some dotted around.

But remarkably there's not one single one thats convenient in a 15 mile daily commute.

*grumble*

QFC, Safeway & Hagen's in-store bakerys are usually pretty good for the artisan bread (by artisan, I assume they mean 'proper bread').

There's a lovely little French bakery in the Crossroads Mall in Bellevue. Although probably too far out for you.

But yeah - avoid the normal packaged sliced pan style bread. That stuff is disgusting and won't ever go stale or mouldy. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Whole foods have decent sandwich bread. Their white sliced Italian pan is really good. Only problem is that it goes stale very quickly but it then makes great toast!

Well desperate times called for desperate measures.

We went out and got a bread machine - proper bread at last!

The stuff here is awful, very sweet and creepily doesn't go off (i tested...2 weeks and not a hint of mold). So instead of crappy bread from a supermarket, the house smelt this morning of fresh bread and coffee

saves on air freshener as well, so it is a win all-round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Things may even get worse over there - see Bread that lasts for 60 days could cut food waste

"An American company has developed a technique that it says can make bread stay mould-free for 60 days...."

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonny_D

Sweet Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

In fairness, just because the bread at the supermarkets is bad doesn't mean no good bread exists in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I found that the vienna loaves etc. in Giant Eagle were grand and in NE Ohio anywy there's Orlando bakery goods which are pretty good but it seems that a quality sliced plan doesn't exist in the US (nor for that matter in most other countries).

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Inner sunset, eh? Theres a store that stocks all sorts of irish grub called Roxy about a block down from the 9th and judah muni stop.
    They have brennans bread, brown bread and lots more like irish puddings, sausages, rashers and the like!
    And USA biscuits for the xmas!

I KNOW!

We went there, it is our source for lyons etc. They have Brennan's but it is the flash frozen stuff so goes off in 2 days or so (hence our breadmaker). We're a few blocks over on 14th

But the place is great, was in there the other day getting tea and it was full of irish mammies buying biscuits and tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

As much as I like Brennans sliced pan or big toast I'd hardly call it good bread. The one thing I've found about American food in general is that the cheap stuff is very cheap. But that being said there's probably a greater selection of decent food if you're willing to look and pay for it.

Bread is the perfect example, most of the bread on supermarket shelves is pure muck but there's plenty of great bakeries with all variety of breads from different ethnicities. No good brown bread though sadly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement