Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet cable port not working

• 26-11-2012 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello everyone,

I have a Samsung R530, and the ethernet cable port doesn't seem to be working anymore. My computer works fine with wireless connections, but I have to connect to the internet with an ethernet cable in my flat. Both the cable that I am using and the connection socket in the wall are working properly, it's definitely a problem with my computer. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I could fix it, i'd be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Cathal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Hello everyone,

I have a Samsung R530, and the ethernet cable port doesn't seem to be working anymore. My computer works fine with wireless connections, but I have to connect to the internet with an ethernet cable in my flat. Both the cable that I am using and the connection socket in the wall are working properly, it's definitely a problem with my computer. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I could fix it, i'd be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Cathal
    check in your device manager to see if your network card has been disabled, failing that update you're drivers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If the suggestions above dont work and the ethernet socket is no longer working for some reason it is possible to buy a usb to ethernet adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

dub45 wrote: »
    If the suggestions above dont work and the ethernet socket is no longer working for some reason it is possible to buy a usb to ethernet adapter.

Hi
    The answer to your question is yes. Companies like Maplin, PC World and Peats will sell this, as well as online retailers like Amazon, Dabs, etc. However do as suggested by Big Lar first. Also as part of this I would suggest you uninstall the on board network connection in device manager (right click and click on uninstall) and reboot and let windows redetect it. Also ensure you have the latest drivers downloaded for it.

However most modems supplied by ISP's usually have an USB socket on the back as well as the ethernet port. So all you will need is the USB cable.

Also follow the link below taken from Samsung's US site.
    http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=145242&modelname=NP-R530&modelcode=NP-R530-JA02US&session_id=Q06NvJpdnhJ8YXGQMLJVHFWsgWzGSXG97n525BDY1QSBQdvmf0yP%21-2072922940%211996488569%211354005197109&from_osc=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

cunnijo wrote: »
    However most modems supplied by ISP's usually have an USB socket on the back as well as the ethernet port. So all you will need is the USB cable.

Actually no they don't - most modern modems are Ethernet only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Actually no they don't - most modern modems are Ethernet only

I will re-phrase my previous comment. Some modems/routers supplied by ISP's will have a USB port on the back but this will depend on the ISP and modem/router supplied. If you use DSL (e.g Eircom) then probably no. However if you use UPC or Digiweb's Metro wireless cable service these use cable modems/routers and these do presently have a USB port on the back panel along with up to 4 ethernet ports. (This applies to the Thompson THG520, TWG870 and Cisco units that are currently being used by by both companies).

To the OP check the back of the supplied modem/router and see. But firstly follow instructions re: device manager, drivers first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 cthlbrennan

Thanks for the advice, it's very much appreciated. I've just updated the driver, and I'm going to follow the Samsung website troubleshooting advice later on when I get home; if that doesn't sort it out then I'll go get myself a usb-ethernet adapter. Much thanks for the help :)

Advertisement