Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using current news items in order to get your site clicked on

Options
  • 26-11-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but I'm pretty angry and disgusted at one business in particular this morning (not naming) that's using a tragic story from the weekend to attract clicks to their site.
    I can see from twitter that they've deliberately used a persons name to draw clicks in also, have a page of their website also named after the person in question, and created an "article" to fit, disguised as advice so they're obviously clued into use of SEO and social media, and how to get traffic to their site.
    I really couldn't believe how someone would go this low.
    They can argue that people are interested in the topic, but it's plain disgusting opportunism to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Have they used 'stories' before? I can nearly guess the story - do they have anyhthing to do with the act or is their business targetted at a particular age group? (actually what line of business are they in - vague description if necessary)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

The story itself is a hot topic at the moment and other unfortunate young victims names in recent months are used in the "article" I seen, I didn't look any further into their site. The business is IT related

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

I've no axe to grind here but just my 2p worth. I was correct in my assumption as to the story and i had a look - yes there is a site that ranks for a keyword associated with the story. That, at first glance looks suspect.
    However the article where the keyword is mentioned is one on cyber bullying, part of the companies business is Internet Safety.

And they have written extensively on cyberbullying and have a huge section devoted to how parents can look out for it and prevent it.

I think your jumping to conclusions here in believing that they did it to manipulate traffic. As far as I can see they are carrying on what they have been doing for the past number of years - highlighting cyberbullying.

C

Advertisement