Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this roof suitable for Attic conversion?

• 26-11-2012 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

First post here in DIY forum so be gentle.
    I am starting to think about converting the attic in my house to contain a bedroom with ensuite and maybe even balcony with a door instead of velux windows.

First question is, from the photo below, does it look like the roof would be suitable for conversion? House was built circa 1979, roof was retiled about 15 years ago. approx 130sq metre house.
    I also attach a mishmash i did of a balcony and what it might look like!

thanks for any help or guidance! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

Gut reaction would be NO, but what's the clearance at the centre of the attic and then whats the clearance say 4 foot from the centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

homer911 wrote: »
    Gut reaction would be NO, but what's the clearance at the centre of the attic and then whats the clearance say 4 foot from the centre?

And what is the roof truss design? I suspect that you would need a structural engineer to advise you, since it might be that the roof supports would have to be completely redesigned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭chris445

Is it a cut roof or a truss roof?? Looking at the secont picture it looks to me that the roof would be too low to convert anyway. I comparason to the window downstairs the roofspace looks like it wuld finish close enough to the height of the window from cill to lintel which i doubt would be adequate headroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Unless all your family are less than 3 foot tall it would not be cost effective to convert that attic. At a guess you would only have a 4 - 6 foot wide space for a room unless you consider full length dormers. Then you might as well strip and raise the roof putting in the necessary supports.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

An architect advised me one time that when considering an attic conversion, your useful floor area is anything above 1.2m high, so what is that in your attic?

• Advertisement
Advertisement