Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oracle 11g Database creating .trc, .trm Files. Filling disk

Options
  • 26-11-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭

I have setup a test Oracle 11g server to try and learn how to configure it and use it etc.

After plenty of me messing around the database is now creating creating loads of .trc and .trm files in the trace directory which is filling up my disk space.

Anyone know how to stop the database from creating these files?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Why would you want to stop these?

trc and trm files are critical for diagnosing issues with the DB. They are used for fault finding.

You can disable it by editing the listener.ora file. Google search is good for finding exactly how. Plenty of Oracle docs on it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have setup a test Oracle 11g server to try and learn how to configure it and use it etc.

After plenty of me messing around the database is now creating creating loads of .trc and .trm files in the trace directory which is filling up my disk space.

Anyone know how to stop the database from creating these files?

As Paulw says, these are automatically generated when something bad is happening. The only way to stop them is to fix the problem. Have a look in your alert.log for clues as to what is happening, the detail will be in the trace files.
    Paulw wrote: »
    Why would you want to stop these?

trc and trm files are critical for diagnosing issues with the DB. They are used for fault finding.

You can disable it by editing the listener.ora file. Google search is good for finding exactly how. Plenty of Oracle docs on it.

I don't think that is correct, the listener.ora is purely for the listener, not for database issues. I think you may be referring to the pfile, which generally speaking, is not used any more.

Advertisement