Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running shoe help

• 26-11-2012 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,

I'm currently running in an entry model asics, the Gel Blackhawk 4 and want to upgrade as they're kinda wrecked. Can anyone offer any advice as to what I could change to? I've tried the 2170 and found them confy enough...

Unfortunately I can't get to Amphibian King to get gait analysis done at the moment...there's a place Parnell St that I've passed a few times though that does it...is it worth going there does anyone know?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Runways. Supposed to be pretty good too, I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ash in runways is pretty good at gait anaylsis. Seems to know his stuff. Have seen him do gait analysis on a couple of people and he was semmingly spot on in his observations so would definitely reckon it's worth a shot if you can't get to AK. Though if you do have a spare couple of hours a 77(A?) from town will bring you up to Ballymount to AK

• Registered Users Posts: 48 tiptoe shortbread

Thanks guys, much appreciated.... just seeing AK open on Sundays so might manage to pop out this weekend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

How often, or how many miles should you be changing your running shoes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

How often, or how many miles should you be changing your running shoes?

It depends on your weight, running style, and how often you wear them too.
    Rule of thumb - 6 months or 500 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I'd be more inclined to think that you will just know when you need to change them. For someone like me who might run every day for a week and then take a week off, it's longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

Is it worth going to amphibian king, and is it expensive? Also do you need to book an appointment of only going during the week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

catch.23 wrote: »
    Is it worth going to amphibian king, and is it expensive? Also do you need to book an appointment of only going during the week?

Yes I would say it is worth it. I had a good experience in Runways too but have a friend who had a very bad experience. Both places will do the gait analysis for free. The runners will probably cost you ballpark 100 euro. Yes, give them a bell just to make sure they have someone available at the time you arrive. I'd go for AKing

Ososlo wrote: »
    Yes I would say it is worth it. I had a good experience in Runways too but have a friend who had a very bad experience. Both places will do the gait analysis for free. The runners will probably cost you ballpark 100 euro. Yes, give them a bell just to make sure they have someone available at the time you arrive. I'd go for AKing

Thanks I'll prob head out there tomorrow so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

RayCun wrote: »
    It depends on your weight, running style, and how often you wear them too.
    Rule of thumb - 6 months or 500 miles.

Yes, it depends on all those things.
    The rule of thumb about 500 miles, I agree with, but depending on the shoe and person may be much higher. After 500 miles start looking for signs of aging, wear, lack of bounce etc. If they are fine, keep going.

/start rant/
    The one about 6 months is b0ll0x. Running shoes do not decay with time, there is no best before date, EVA does not go off. If you take them out of the box and only wear them only occasionally, they will not be ready for the bin in 6 months. I firmly believe the 6 month RoT was invented by the shoe companies so they can justify bringing out "new season" (spring/summer or autumn/winter) shoes every 6 months. We should not accept these marketing statements as fact without evidence.
    /rant over/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

dna_leri wrote: »
    /start rant/
    The one about 6 months is b0ll0x. Runners do not decay with time, there is no best before date, EVA does not go off. If you take them out of the box and only wear them only occasionally, they will not be ready for the bin in 6 months. I firmly believe the 6 month RoT was invented by the shoe companies so they can justify bringing out "new season" (spring/summer or autumn/winter) shoes every 6 months. We should not accept these marketing statements as fact without evidence.
    /rant over/

I thinks its one of those urban myths, the same one that says ASICS Kayanos are the best shoe cos they're the most expensive.

The 500 miles is a best measure, as you say based on weight, frequency of use, running style etc. It doesn't matter much whether the 500m is over 6 days, weeks, months or years. Just dont machine wash, dry or leave lying in the sun or back window of the car for any length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

catch.23 wrote: »

Absolutely 100% Yes...Can't recommend it enough. These guys know exactly what they are talking about and spend a lot of time with you getting the right shoe for you.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Absolutely 100% Yes...Can't recommend it enough. These guys know exactly what they are talking about and spend a lot of time with you getting the right shoe for you.

Thanks, went there the other day, was definitely worth it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

What makes amphibian king better than runways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

What makes amphibian king better than runways?

well for me, AK make you run on a short track thing in the shop for gait analysis, whereas Runways only use a treadmill. I hate treadmills and can't run on them.
    Also, a friend of mine bought a pair of runners in Runways after getting his gait analysed there a few weeks ago. They were totally unsuitable for him (he discovered after trying them out) and he went back with them only to be told that as they had been worn outside, they would not take them back for exchange/refund. Very bad business acumen in my opinion. I don't think this would happen in AK.
    Just my experience :)

Advertisement