Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Issues?

Options
  • 26-11-2012 12:12pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have an old Dell Latitude D620 laptop. I got it from work as they were basically throwing them out. I wiped it and put on XP Pro but basically I don’t have any of the drivers so I have to try to do it myself.
    I got it working on the network card but I cannot get the wifi drivers working. Tried for hours last night. I went to the Dell site, but in the service tag but many of the downloads won’t work or don’t do what I want.
    It downloaded something called the Intel ProSet – it found the wireless network but I could not connect to it. I did not like this ProSet thing much though so I uninstalled it. As it was uninstalling I was able to use the standard windows XP wifi app – but as soon as it was totally installed it took the wireless drivers with it. Very annoying.

Does anyone know if I have to use this ProSet thing or can I just get the Wifi drivers so I can use the standard windows wifi app to join a network? How do i tell exactly what wifi card I have so i can find the right drivers for it?

If not, does anyone know a program that will auto update my drivers for me?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Find the PCI id (vendor and device) from Device Manager,wifi adapter->properties. Or it may be an unknown device. The IDs are 4 hex chars, like AB9F. Google for these codes.

I'm not that keen on the Intel wifi software either, but it works OK on 1 laptop of mine.

I've used DriverIdentifier before, website has same name.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Throw the Device ID into www.pcidatabase.com then download the driver only package for your model from Intel. See here for Device ID locating

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

post the dell's service tag number here so we can tell you which wifi drivers your pc needs

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks - tag is 31ND03J

Trying the driver identifier now but no luck so far. Wifi and graphics drivers are the main ones. If you can find the file that would be really great, thanks!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Scratch that, ok I got it :) - thanks for the help guys.
    Will work on the graphics drivers now

• Advertisement
Advertisement