Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property prices resume fall

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

Is it? Are cash sales not likely to achieve improved deals by comparison with financed deals?
    you would expect cash payers to get a discount on asking compared to someone relying on a mortgage or with a house to sell as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

you would expect cash payers to get a discount on asking compared to someone relying on a mortgage or with a house to sell as well
    Ok, that's what I thought. Therefore, although the data excluded cash sales, there is no reason to believe that property sales achieved were found to be any better than the 0.6% fall recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

cash sales don't get massive discounts either as people are quite willing to be sale agreed for an extra month if it means more cash from a mortgage holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

TheDriver wrote: »
    cash sales don't get massive discounts either as people are quite willing to be sale agreed for an extra month if it means more cash from a mortgage holder.
    Within reason. You don't know for sure if a completion is going to be achieved until it actually has. I recently viewed a house that had been sale agreed 3 times - keeping it off the market for many months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Sleepy wrote: »
    Or just the simple fact that the volume of transactions is still so low that price movements month on month aren't a reliable indicator of much...

Or how about the CSO not taking account of cash transactions, which are apparently 40% of the market?
    Edit: see it's been covered...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭TKline

Good to see prices continue to return to more affordable levels.

The amazing thing about the Irish bubble and its collapse is the change in the house price to rent ratio, which was more extreme than anything seen anywhere else in the world.

More details here... What a real property boom/bubble looks like - Ireland

IrelandAustraliaPriceRent.png

When house prices move out of alignment with the fundamentals (rents and incomes) then a reversion to mean is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

I was at the allsop acution... The mood was more sombre than previous auctions... Also alot of the properties sold very near the reserve or just above ... Yields on investment properties ranged from 8 to 15 per cent. However you will need that as the government announcing more taxes on rental income in the way of PRSI and I'm sure there is more... :(

Advertisement