Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gaís Prepay Meter

Options
  • 26-11-2012 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody know anything about the pricing of these?

For all the info that is available about them, none of it can tell me if the units cost the same or more on prepay. Also, if you were to run out of credit in the middle of the night for example, would it just shut off on you, or do they allow you to run an overdraft?

Does anybody here have one and would you recommend it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

same price afaik per unit.

normally fitted for free

and theres spare units so it`ll stop your gas when ya run out and you can turn it on again for i think 10 units as a reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Have you ever used one?

I'm getting completely different answers from different folk.
    A lady I know that works for Electric Ireland said that their prepay meters charge more and reckons it's the done thing.

...costs a bloody fortune to save a few pennies in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

no just worked in houses that have them.

board gas charge the same. i donno about the others

• Registered Users Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Have you ever used one?

I'm getting completely different answers from different folk.
    A lady I know that works for Electric Ireland said that their prepay meters charge more and reckons it's the done thing.

...costs a bloody fortune to save a few pennies in this country.

I'd imagine they're not designed to save people money, but instead to allow a pay as you go service.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭breeno

I just bought a house and there is a pre paid gas meter fitted. We were going to change to a bill meter but they wanted 200 quid to fit it so we're trying the pre paid for now. It's the same price per unit and works well. There is an emergency overdraft of 5 euro but you have to press a button on the meter to access it. So if your credit goes then your heating will switch off until you switch on the overdraft.

We're currently going through about 25 quid a week which isn't too bad considering the time of year I think. We're going to keep putting the same amount in all year and build up a large balance to work through in the cold months next year.

Anything else you'd like to know?

• Advertisement

Ok, someone else I know that has one told me to stay away as they are more expensive.
    Something to do with other standing/operating charges. So while the gas units cost the same, you will spend more money as a result of 'hidden' charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cocoridis

hi,all. due to a huge bill over january-february, i was thinking to install a prepay gas meter. i'd like to know from people who already has this, if prepay meter is better than an usual connection(advantage and disadvantage). thx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Ok, someone else I know that has one told me to stay away as they are more expensive.
    Something to do with other standing/operating charges. So while the gas units cost the same, you will spend more money as a result of 'hidden' charges.

I've heard this as well - we just bought a house with one, and we asked one of the guys working on it (plumber/electrician) what the story was. He said it cost more - whether that was the units or the hidden charges I don't know. We're looking into getting it changed back to a regular meter. If it's only €200 like breeno said, we might just do it now and avoid the hassle in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

prepay meter is topped up with a card that you top up at a local shop with paypoint.

the meter itself has 2 buttons and a card slot, insert the card, follow the onscreen instructions and it will open the gas flow, its quite handy.

If you run out you can go into debt (EmCr) normally for 5 euro or so , this will be paid back when you top up next. A standing charge is also accrued , so if you dont use the gas all summer then come back to it in september your first topup will have a chunk taken out of it by the standing charge.

Its a great way to control spending and has definitely made me put the heating on far less, being able to see it draining like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Zil2011

Check bonkers.ie - they compare the prices. Tried it for electricity as we don't have natural gas and it would cost me an extra 138.00 euro per year with them as the standing charge is so high.

• Advertisement

cocoridis wrote: »
    hi,all. due to a huge bill over january-february, i was thinking to install a prepay gas meter. i'd like to know from people who already has this, if prepay meter is better than an usual connection(advantage and disadvantage). thx

It's largely the same, but you pay differently.
    I hate this suggestion that if you are pre-paying, you will be better off.

You will be equally out of pocket, but you will be paying in advance, and now run the risk of running out of gas at an inconvenient time.

If we want to make a saving on the heating, then we'll just have to use it less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

It's largely the same, but you pay differently.
    I hate this suggestion that if you are pre-paying, you will be better off.

You will be equally out of pocket, but you will be paying in advance, and now run the risk of running out of gas at an inconvenient time.

If we want to make a saving on the heating, then we'll just have to use it less.

Most people will be better off as they will use it less, being conscious of the fact they spend less. Like the psychological affect of a credit card over cash. If you were to be as watchful with power on a normal bill you would be considerably better off as the standing charge is higher on prepay.

Advertisement