Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement keypad (with better keys) for Aritech CS250

Options
  • 26-11-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭

We have an Aritech CS250 which we're happy with ourselves, but our elderly neighbour, who occasionally helps us out by looking after the house when we're away is clearly having problems with the keypad.

Up until recently it's just that I've noticed that there were several log entries logging unsuccessful disarms when we return, but never for long enough to trigger an actual alarm. However, this weekend we had a call from our alarm centre that the alarm had been triggered and I had to call our neighbour's daughter to pop round to check all was OK. (It was at exactly 5pm, the time I'd said to her to pop in and feed the cats so I was pretty confident it wasn't a real break-in BTW!)

Anyway, I reckon it's the keypad, or rather the keys themselves that's causing the problems, as they're those nasty rubbery keys that manufacturers seem so keen on everywhere these days, and you need to be quite direct when pressing them. If you press them even slightly 'off-centre' they don't register, and seeing as she's quite deaf she doesn't hear the beep either. I even have the occasional problem myself if I'm disabling the alarm early in the morning when I'm not 100% awake.

So, I was wondering if it's possible to replace just the keypad, either with a newer better model, or whether it's just the old one getting a bit tired, and to replace it with an identical replacement (if still available)? Ideally I'd prefer a keypad with proper, old-fashioned, 'clicky' keys with a nice positive feedback to them if that's at all possible. I might even consider replacing the whole system if there's a manufacturer out there who has a better design.

EDIT: Alternatively, can the keypad be dismantled easily enough? I say this as I've often had to dismantle TV remote controls as after a time they become unresponsive and can often be revitalized by giving the rubber keypad membrane and the capacitative contacts on the PCB a good clean. There's often an oily residue there which is either from fingers or possible some kind of plasticizer leaching out of the membrane.

Advertisement