Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under The Radar - PS3 , Wii and PC Games

• 26-11-2012 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Can you suggest some good games for the ps3, wii and pc that whilst good kinda went under the raydar upon release

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nier: The reviews got this game horribly wrong, anyone that has played it has loved it. It's a bit low budget but it's remarkably inventive, changing gameplay styles on the flt without you even noticing. It's also got a superb story which is even better in the new game +.

Fragile Dreams: This one has problems but the overall experience makes the slight gameplay flaws worth overcoming. It has a great atmosphere and is a real tear jerker.

Valkyria Chronicles: A superb strategy title. It looks absolutely gorgeous and manages to fit in a very moving storyline in there as well but it's the great strategy gameplay that makes it. It's a bit like jagged alliance.

Malicious: PSN's best kept secret. It's a short enough boss rush game with a great combat system. Looks gorgeous, has a bit of an ICO or shadow of the colossus feel to the art design. Quite tough so prepare for a challenge. Superb sound track. One complaint is that the combat system is very complicated and can take a while to master.

3D Dot Game Heroes: A game made of voxels and playing like the original Legend of Zelda on the NES. Wonderful little hidden gem on the PS3.

Catherine: A great puzzle game mixed with some very mature storytelling dealing with relationships. It shouldn't work as well as it does but it really is excellent and there's nothing else like it.

Under Defeat: The Dreamcasts best 2D shooter brought to the PS3. For the budget price it sells for it's an absolute steal.

Megaman 9 and 10: As good as Megaman 2 and 3. Excellent NES style platformers.

Monster World IV: Originally a Megadrive game but the digital rerelease is the first English release of the game. Plays like the megadrives version of Super Metroid and is almost as good. Forget the boring Shadow Complex, this is way better.

Vandal Hearts Flame of Judgement: If you like an old school no nonsense SRPG like the shining force series then this is right up your alley.

Wizardry Labyrinth of Lost Souls: A great dungeon crawler although it's been surpassed by much better games on the DS such as Etrian Odyssey and Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey.

Child of Eden: For the price this goes for there's no excuse not to own it. It's a beautiful sensory overload that you really need to experience and if you have a Kinect you might even be tempted to hook it up and actually play something on it (disclaimer: plays better with a pad)

Deadly Premonition: Really cheap, terrible combat, woeful driving physics yet still one of this generations best games. Trudge past the awful combat sections and there a really charming world to explore and people to interact with. Story is superb as well and complimented by some excellent acting and writing. Might be better to wait for the promised release of the directors cut.

Boom Blox: It's like jenga but more fun, especially with people. One of the Wii's best puzzle and party games.

Baroque: Not for everyone really since one of the main mechanics in the game is dying and losing levels and progress. However dying opens up more of the story. If you want a very unique rogue-like then this is worth playing.

A Boy and his Blob: Gorgeous looking 2D platformer from Wayforward.

Endless Ocean and Endless Ocean Blue World: Two scuba diving sims that are way better than you would expect. The perfect games to relax to and explore gorgeous underwater eco systems.

Klonoa: A remake of the PS1's best platform game.

Muramasa: Another beautiful 2D game on the Wii. Might be better off waiting for the HD release on Vita but a great game.

Xenoblade Chronicles: A wonderful marriage of japanese and western RPG sensibilities. It's like a single player MMO but more streamlined, it's pretty much the game FFXII should have been. Great soundtrack and gaming's finest sci-fi story in an awful long time round of what is for me the best RPG since Persona 4.

Zone of the Enders HD collection: You didn't buy Zone of the Enders 2 on PS2? What the hell were you thinking! Here's the perfect opportunity to correct your sins.

Opoona: Wonderful unique RPG on the Wii with quite a moving story. Has a really interesting game world to explore and a soundtrack by my favourite composer, Hitoshi Sakimoto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Tokyo Jungle- Good old fashioned survival of the fittest in an apocalyptic setting. Except you start off as a Pomeranian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
    Never really got the credit it deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Vanquish, absolutely superb 3rd person shooter. Its better than Gears, yeah I went there :pac:

+1 on Muramasa as well, stunningly pretty game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Disgaea 4 (PS3) - while Skyrim was receiving unjustly high praise, perhaps the finest entry in the Disgaea series was relegated to near obscurity. One of the finest RPGs of this generation, offering as much as you're willing to put in.

Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery EP (iOS / PC) - this weird, funny deconstruction of the Zelda myth / point and click games is a lot of fun. Great presentation, a curious story and an amazing soundtrack enhance relatively limited gameplay into something much more interesting than it should be.

Ys Seven / Oath in Felghana (PSP / PC) - Undoubtedly the best action RPGs I've ever played.

Sin & Punishment 2 (Wii) - perhaps the single-most 'must own' third-party title on the Wii.

Critter Crunch (PS3 / PC) - Crack cocaine, pure and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

MadWorld: mindless violence and fun. And the commentary is great for it, though can be repetitive. Was described as the most violent game ever. And it was on the Wii

Zack and Wiki - Quest for Barbaros' Treasure(Wii): Criminally overlooked due to a kiddie look. Great puzzle game and I'm hoping they'll do a sequel, maybe on 3DS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Rayman Origins - Fun, bizarre and unique platformer that looks and sounds fantastic. Nice and challenging too so you'll get a good amount of gameplay out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Sleeping Dogs.

Y U PEOPLE NO BUY? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Rayman Origins - Fun, bizarre and unique platformer that looks and sounds fantastic. Nice and challenging too so you'll get a good amount of gameplay out of it.

Fun game that, the soundtrack is funny too, I have it on my iphone and its enjoyable enough as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Sleeping Dogs.

Y U PEOPLE NO BUY? :mad:

Calm down, it's currently on its way from Amazon to me (along with Dishonored and X-Com :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Binary domain pc/360/ps3
    Yakuza 3, 4 and yakuza dead souls ps3
    Nights journey of dreams wii
    Alpha protocol pc/ps3/360
    Resonace of fate ps3/360
    Shadow of the damned ps3/360
    Sin and punishment successor to the skies wii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Great little thread, quite a few games here I never heard of or bothered to play.

Off/On Topic
    Not one to complain about spelling usually but can a mod/OP please change the spelling of the title please.
    Just annoys me for some reason everytime I see the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Another vote for Enslaved, it's a really good game. I personally preferred it to Uncharted 3, however it certainly didn't look as pretty.

Vanquished is an absolute blast, very short though.

Binary Domain apparently sold very poorly but is another really fun game, the way the robots blow apart as you shoot them is superb.

Okami is another for the Wii (originally a PS2 game), an absolutely stunning Zelda style game, but with loads of unique features (the main character is a wolf and you use a magic paintbrush to kill enemies/as a tool). One of my favourite games ever. Some people complain it's too long but I loved every single minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not one to complain about spelling usually but can a mod/OP please change the spelling of the title please.

K. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Critter Crunch (PS3 / PC) - Crack cocaine, pure and simple.

+1 on critter crunch. Although I have never completed it, I do go back to it time and again. I have deleted several games from my hard drive due to space, but critter crunch is always there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In my opinion Enslaved got the reviews it deserved and is quite over rated by the fan base. However for the price it goes for it's hard to not recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Not sure how "Under the Radar" this is since it got fairly good coverage on places like Destructoid, but Thomas Was Alone is definitely worth every penny. Available on Steam now with controller support, I couldn't recommend it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Not sure how "Under the Radar" this is since it got fairly good coverage on places like Destructoid, but Thomas Was Alone is definitely worth every penny. Available on Steam now with controller support, I couldn't recommend it more.
    Mark my words, the year will end and people will still complain about poor writing in games but still have not played that game.

Glad to see some other folk around here pick it up though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Okami Wii / HD (PSN) -- it's like if 3D Zelda games were GOOD and INTERESTING.

Stranger's Wrath HD (PSN) -- I'm still guilty myself of having not bought it... yet. Will fix that in the next few weeks.

Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD -- an absolute must-own experience. IIRC you have to set your PS3 to 720p for SotC, as it can still chug a little.

Valkyria Chronicles -- another PS3 must-buy. Slightly broken (Scouts are OP) but great fun. Do NOT read story spoilers for maximum impact.

Vanquish -- like above: it's what Gears of War would be if Gears wasn't completely up its own testosterone-riddled arsehole.

Bayonetta -- buy this, and pretend like Donte may Cry doesn't exist. Even a supposedly-bad PS3 port is better than that tripe.

Sin and Punishment (Wiiware) / Sin and Punishment 2 -- try it!

Bastion -- really fun :)

Lone Survivor (PC) -- has the distinction of being the first horror game to have successfully creeped me the féck out since Silent Hill.

... and that's just for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Sleeping Dogs, great game, got good reviews but didn't get the attention it deserved. Anyone who likes open world games should play it.

• Advertisement

After playing Enslaved: Odyssey to the West I'll have to say that as well. Good game. great character interaction. Funny. It's like Uncharted but the combat is much more fair. No such thing as
    In Uncharted 3 where you have to get past lots of bad guys with sniper rifles and grenade launchers in a sandstorm where you can't see them but they can all see you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    In my opinion Enslaved got the reviews it deserved and is quite over rated by the fan base. However for the price it goes for it's hard to not recommend.

I agree with this. I thought it was good, nowhere near the classic the fan base says it is but its better than a lot of similar titles.

Not sure if it went under the radar but I thought Castlevania lords of shadow was top notch. Really amazing artwork and some stunning vistas. Loved every minute of it.

Never mentioned A Boy and his Blob on Wii, another great 2D platformer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

One game I enjoyed a lot and didn't think I would was Singularity, also many have missed the Unfinished Swan which is an amazing game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Never mentioned A Boy and his Blob on Wii, another great 2D platformer.

Beautiful, but easy as pish -- probably great for young gamers though!

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Beautiful, but easy as pish -- probably great for young gamers though!

Any game with a hug button gets my vote.

Any game with a hug button gets my vote.

You just want a real life hug button. :D

Don't we all :(

Advertisement