Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what type of screws?

• 26-11-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi All, starting a diy project this week (image attached at bottom). Basically it's going to be a media centre come bookcase holding everything from an av reciever, htpc to a 42" plasma on the third shelf up.

The frame is going to be built in the main from 3" by 2" mahogany. In less visible places especially at the back I'll more than likely use a cheaper wood, same dimensions and shave it down a tad to glue on a mahogany veneer to knock down costs.

It's going to be in an alcove with solid brick walls on 3 sides. It's an old house so the bricks are not cavity. I'll be cutting a rebate into each shelf on the inner sides to accommodate mdf sheets (probably 12mm) which will form the shelves proper.

Lastly the only side not supported by the wall, the front length will be supported either side using a half lapped joint with the side supports. In addition the vertical support at the front and back will also be half lap joints and I'm planning mortise tenon joints for the central horizontal supports.

So main question is what type of screws should I be using to fix the frame to the walls? As the frame will be 2 inches thick where it meets the wall I'd reckon I'd want at least a further 2 inches on the screws. The plasma is a heavy bugger hence I'm a bit concerned about what type of screws I should be using so any suggestions really appreciated.

By the way the top two shelves will be books only so reckon the supports on the sides and back should be sufficient here correct?

Incidentally the vertical support at the backs primary purpose isn't really support. I'm planing to cut a channel in the back of it to run cabling to each shelf.

Cheers

shelvesonleftoffireplac.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

Have you considered having the top two shelves independent and wall mounting the TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Hi Homer, yeah thought of that as that's how I had it mounted in my old place. However this time instead of being in the centre of the room it will be over to the left of the fireplace in an alcove. My old place had stud walls in front of the brick walls so was very easy to hide cables and a flat bracket worked fine.

I did think of mounting it on a movable bracket on the left that could be swivelled left to right but not sure how they compare with flat mounts. The tv is as far as I remember around 34 KG and 42" so not sure if an angled bracket type of mount would be able to hold it?

/Edit maybe something like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Promount-Swivel-Cantilever-Bracket-LG/dp/B002EDMAY0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1353936546&sr=8-4

It's an option alright, and a good one. Need to think about it and see which my girlfriend prefers as well. I do like the aesthetics of the other way so would still appreciate and suggestions for best fixings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Frame anchors might be your best bet. They come in all sorts of lengths and are easy to install -- you just drill through the wood and into the wall and hammer in the anchor (they have a threaded screw so they can be taken out later if necessary). They are readily available in any DIY store.

15876_P

Cheers Art, used them for floating shelves a few years back but couldn't remember the name of them! I'll stop off in Woodies on the way home and see what they have in stock.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

DamoKen wrote: »
    Cheers Art, used them for floating shelves a few years back but couldn't remember the name of them! I'll stop off in Woodies on the way home and see what they have in stock.

No problems. Good luck with your project!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭chris445

Just out of curiosity what is the overall width of the unit. From what I can see the centre support at the back isn't needed as long as you can get good fixings into the brickwork. If the span isn't too wide you may get away without centre supports on the front too. You'd be surprided at the weight that a 3"x2" piece of mahogany on it's edge can hold. Even a piece of white deal would hold a huge weight and with the grain in mahogany being so much stroger it would probably save a lot of time to leave these out. I think it would look well too. One other thing I would advise Is to put a few noggins in the shelves to support the veneered MDF. It may sag over time due to the weight so thiswould counteract that.

Good luck with it. Looks like it will turn out a nice project.

Oh and to answer your original question I would go with 100mm frame fixers. haha. Shouldn't budge after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

DamoKen wrote: »

I wouldnt bother with Woodies.

You will get them individually or in boxes in any builders providers,and also alot cheaper too.:)

Different lengths and thicknesses too.

100mm frame fixer will be an F8 sized plug and screw.

If drilling into a concrete wall,get an 8mm SDS masonary drill bit.

You will also need a size 3 pozi bit for screwing the screws into the plugs.

chris445 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity what is the overall width of the unit. From what I can see the centre support at the back isn't needed as long as you can get good fixings into the brickwork. If the span isn't too wide you may get away without centre supports on the front too. You'd be surprided at the weight that a 3"x2" piece of mahogany on it's edge can hold. Even a piece of white deal would hold a huge weight and with the grain in mahogany being so much stroger it would probably save a lot of time to leave these out. I think it would look well too. One other thing I would advise Is to put a few noggins in the shelves to support the veneered MDF. It may sag over time due to the weight so thiswould counteract that.

Good luck with it. Looks like it will turn out a nice project.

Oh and to answer your original question I would go with 100mm frame fixers. haha. Shouldn't budge after that.

Hey Chris, yeah picked up a sample pack of 10 M8 100mm hammer fixings last night from Woodies, at €6 not the cheapest. However as wood is not exactly 2" just wanted to make sure before ordering a rake of them online if I find a good price or into a providers at the weekend. Any recommendations for a decently priced providers anywhere near the M50 open over the weekend? Closest to the new place in Terenure is Brooks but find them a tad expensive. Not very familiar with what's in the area yet.

You're bang on with the centre support at the back. Main reason for it as I'm planning to cut a channel up the length of it for wiring, both for the tv and lights at the back of the top shelves.

Regarding the other centre supports on the fronts. Again you're right on the money. Length of each shelf is 1600mm and 330mm wide so was a bit concerned with sagging in the mdf. So plan is to split the mdf into two boards per shelf with rebates included in the central supports. Had thought about noggins but thought although the central supports could be a lot of extra work from an aesthic point of view it could add a lot, especially the contrasts of the mortise's against the front horizontal lengths.

One last question. As well as 12mm mdf dropped into the top of the shelves, I'm planning either 9mm or 6mm coming into a rebate from the underside and screwed in from the top. This will create a hollow space with a minimum height of 55mm in each shelf that I was thinking of using to hide plug extensions. Should I be concerned about heat build up? Haven't measured the height of the extension leads yet but I'd imagine there's not a massive amount of clearance.

Cheers

paddy147 wrote: »
    I wouldnt bother with Woodies.

You will get them individually or in boxes in any builders providers,and also alot cheaper too.:)

Different lengths and thicknesses too.

100mm frame fixer will be an F8 sized plug and screw.

If drilling into a concrete wall,get an 8mm SDS masonary drill bit.

You will also need a size 3 pozi bit for screwing the screws into the plugs.

Hi Paddy, yeah I know Woodies wouldn't normally be my first choice, just the closest that I currently know of to the new house apart from Brooks and the only one open by the time I've left work. Will drop into a proper providers over the weekend though :)

Thanks for the tips above, was thinking I might need to upgrade my masonry bits! What's the difference between an F8 & M8 by the way, haven't heard of it before?

Fianlly I bought hammer fixings last night as they were the same diameter but cheaper than the frame fixings. I've heard frame fixings are more secure but not sure how if they're the same dimensions. Would there be much of a difference?

Thanks again guys, really helpful advice!

Advertisement