Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham fans chanting v Spurs last weekend

• 26-11-2012 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭

West Ham fans were reportedly involved in anti semitic chanting v Spurs last weekend. PC gone mad or disgraceful ? Interesting to see how it plays out and whether Herbert (SOBL) who was so quick to demand action against Spurs will come out of the woodwork again. Apparently the Lazio chants were from most of the away support, not some small minority.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20492168
    West Ham intend to impose life bans on any fans found guilty of anti-Semitic chants in their defeat at Spurs.

The FA says it is "highly likely" to launch an investigation into reports of abuse aimed at Spurs fans on Sunday.

It is alleged a section of the away support sang anti-Semitic songs and chanted about the stabbing of Spurs fans in Rome last week.

A statement on the Hammers website said: "West Ham United will take the strongest possible action."
    http://www.metroradio.co.uk/news/sport/20121126-west-ham-face-probe-over-hitler-chants/
    Just four days after a Spurs fan was stabbed before Tottenham's game against Lazio, some West Ham supporters appeared to aim offensive chants towards the home crowd about the attack.

"Viva Lazio" and "can we stab you every week" could be heard - and the sound of hissing also came from the away section of White Hart Lane, an apparent mocking of the mass execution of Jews in gas chambers during the Holocaust.

Towards the end of Sunday's match, some Hammers fans were heard singing: "Adolf Hitler, he's coming for you."

Comments

"Afolf Hitler he's coming for you...."

On a zimmer frame these days no doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Aren't Spurs trying to get rid of this "Yid Army" thing? It's the same in Holland with Ajax, every away teams fans making hissing noises, nazi salutes etc. I don't understand why these clubs or fans associate themselves with Judaism. I don't condone what they are doing I just find the whole "Yid Army" thing cringeworthy.

Can you imagine a team shouting the Catholic/Islam Army etc. Imagine the abuse they would get? Don't align yourself with stupid terms and there won't be any abuse.

Both sets of fans are equally as stupid IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Slow news day for the media that's all , a non story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I 100% condone those idiots, but in saying that I much rather have to put up with few idiots singing a song then been physically attacked by fans.

Actions speak louder then words so to speak.

Again things need to be addressed about these chants, but I be more worried if it were more serious.

What these fools want is for media to have frenzy. Thats what these fans want.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

What I gathered was that the supposed hissing was actually 'sssssht', to mock the atmosphere at WHL.

I did read there were a few who sang 'Adolf's coming for you' though.

The Lazio chants were in bad taste, but hardly anything to get upset about.

I wonder if the Society of Black Lawyers will become involved :pac:

And I think you a word Kew ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I 100% condone those idiots

Well, you're just as bad so. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I wonder if the Society of Black Lawyers will become involved :pac:

)

They have just reported the matter to the police in England. on BBC website

1323: FOOTBALL
    The chairman of the Society of Black Lawyers, Peter Herbert, says the controversial chants from a section of West Ham fans at Tottenham yesterday have been reported to the police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wonder what the Society of Black Legal Avengers have to say about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This subject is getting very boring at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

This subject is getting very boring at this stage
    . . . . . but not yet boring enough that you couldn't resist posting the fact that you were bored?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Aren't Spurs trying to get rid of this "Yid Army" thing? It's the same in Holland with Ajax, every away teams fans making hissing noises, nazi salutes etc. I don't understand why these clubs or fans associate themselves with Judaism. I don't condone what they are doing I just find the whole "Yid Army" thing cringeworthy.

Can you imagine a team shouting the Catholic/Islam Army etc. Imagine the abuse they would get? Don't align yourself with stupid terms and there won't be any abuse.

Both sets of fans are equally as stupid IMO

Not sure about Spurs, but Ajax has strong links to Judaism, because at the time, the club was founded, Amsterdam had the highest population of Jewish people on the European continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Not sure about Spurs, but Ajax has strong links to Judaism, because at the time, the club was founded, Amsterdam had the highest population of Jewish people on the European continent.
    Spurs have always had a large Jewish following compared to other teams due to the diverse area Tottenham is.

Anti semetic chanting came first then Yid army was taken up to try and turn it into a badge of pride of Spurs diverse following and to try and take away from the anti semitism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I was at Upton Park for the Champions League decider (Henry scoring a hat-trick in last game in Highbury, lasagne-gate etc).

West Ham fans did the hissing, the chanting, the whole lot.

Spurs fans singing 'Yid Army' is a way of taking ownership of this badge.

What does Baddiel, Herbert et al think of this? Doesn't fit their agenda.

It's not Spurs fans 'denigrating' Jews. It's opposing fans, giving the Sieg Heil and hissing like a gas chamber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I never knew Tottenham had any Jewish roots until like today and don't Ajax exaggerate their jewish roots! I'd say spurs fans just pushed the jew thing because they have a few fans that supported them that were jewish. kinda to get a celtic irish vibe going. I think fans fans like to feel their club somehow represents something different to the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I never knew Tottenham had any Jewish roots until like today and don't Ajax exaggerate their jewish roots! I'd say spurs fans just pushed the jew thing because they have a few fans that supported them that were jewish. kinda to get a celtic irish vibe going. I think fans fans like to feel their club somehow represents something different to the norm.

You'd probably be better off not thinking so much.

Advertisement