Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Approx Cals of a chicken Sandwich

• 26-11-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

I am counting Cals on MyFitnessPal, most of the stuff is fine but I am unsure to put in for my lunch. I don't have a scales or anything and I don't want to under mark how many cals would be in a sandwich. I am hoping someone here could help?

Catering Brown Bread (2 slices)
    Scrap of butter each slice
    Small serving of Deli Chicken in tikka sauce (about a desert spoon full)
    Lettuce
    Red Onion
    Mixed peppers.

Does anyone know the approx cals of something like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

In the region of 450 depending on the Tikka Sauce used and amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

just type the ingredients in, if they aren't available then it doesn't have to be exact, close enough is fine.

most of the important stuff is on there, if not find something similar.
    like this:
    http://s14.postimage.org/jsjhmvs6p/1234.png
    x9gg5r2i5

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Do you think it would be wise to put 500 in to be safe?

id say 450 ish is a fine enough answer. don't forget the numbers involved are approximate anyway.
    a chicken breast gives "around" 300 cal, not exactly 300 each time.
    don't worry too much about it unless you are going to weigh each and every single item you put in your mouth and track the calories you burn for every single movement you make.

id say 450 ish is a fine enough answer. don't forget the numbers involved are approximate anyway.
    don't worry too much about it unless you are going to weigh each and every single item you put in your mouth and track the calories you burn for every single movement you make.

Cheers,

No I am not being over picky (or trying not to be) :), just trying to be more aware of what I am eating. I'm a fair bit overweight and have cut down the last few months on crap food so I am just trying to be more conscious so I do not slip back into eating more.

• Advertisement

going to weigh each and every single item you put in your mouth and track the calories you burn for every single movement you make.

some people need to be that picky, luckily for us we don't.

as long as its roughly ok then you'll be fine. remember that weight loss is long term, think in weeks not in meals.
    try to work off a weekly calorie deficit rather than a daily one, it gives you more wiggle room. aim for eating 3500 a week less and you will lose 1lb a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why do you specifically say "catering" bread? are the slices much bigger/thicker?

If you can get your hands on the packet it often has info per slice.

The bread is usually where most of the kcals are coming from. Most people are surprised to hear a 1/4lber burger usually has about the same kcals in the bun as in the meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

fo' fiddy yo

The slices are actually quite thin, I mentioned catering because they are square ones not your standard slices with the half moon on top.

Thanks for all the info guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

If you have any app version of myfitnesspal you cab scan the barcode of the item and it will show up if its on their system. A lot handier than trying to search for the item a lot of the time.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    If you have any app version of myfitnesspal you cab scan the barcode of the item and it will show up if its on their system. A lot handier than trying to search for the item a lot of the time.

That's handy, they have a WP7 version, used it for a pack of Mento's... Gift!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

rubadub wrote: »
    Why do you specifically say "catering" bread? are the slices much bigger/thicker?

Yes. Catering slices would be 120 cals-ish each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's because breasts vary in size, not because calories are approximate. 100g of prepacked chicken, won't vary much from label data. He's only need to weigh out the sandwich once then remember it.
    Dean_Mc wrote: »
    The slices are actually quite thin, I mentioned catering because they are square ones not your standard slices with the half moon on top.

Thanks for all the info guys!

You'll have to check the packet to know. It completely depends on the brand.
    Brennan's, for example, are either 154 or 104 per slice of brown catering bread - depending on which one you buy.
    Lettuce, Red Onion and Mixed peppers won't contribute much.

Butter will depend on how much you use. 70-140 cals. Those single serve wrapped butters, how many of them would you use per slice.

Chicken is maybe 120-240 cals. Again depends on how much and ratios of chicken to sauce.

It really depends on how you make it. Chicken Tikka sandwich doesn't really tell us enough. From those numbers above it could be 420, or it could be 720

Mellor wrote: »
    That's because breasts vary in size, not because calories are approximate. 100g of prepacked chicken, won't vary much from label data. He's only need to weigh out the sandwich once then remember it.

You'll have to check the packet to know. It completely depends on the brand.
    Brennan's, for example, are either 154 or 104 per slice of brown catering bread - depending on which one you buy.
    Lettuce, Red Onion and Mixed peppers won't contribute much.

Butter will depend on how much you use. 70-140 cals. Those single serve wrapped butters, how many of them would you use per slice.

Chicken is maybe 120-240 cals. Again depends on how much and ratios of chicken to sauce.

It really depends on how you make it. Chicken Tikka sandwich doesn't really tell us enough. From those numbers above it could be 420, or it could be 720

It's Deli made so some things I do not know but a couple of things.

It's a scrape of butter, this is more to my taste, im not huge butter fan and deli's lash the stuff on so I do have to ask for a scrape otherwise I will end up with a layer of butter from them.

The bread is very thin but it is square, I like my bread so I would have thought they were a bit on the thin side for a deli sandwich. If I was to compare them they would be as thin as standard white bread not like doorstop or toasty bread. They were brown and I assume brennans because the white and batch were both brennans.

The chicken is the vacpac stuff found in most deli's, the chunks, I only get a table spoonful because they are fond of lashing this on as well and it ruins the integrity of the sandwich. Nothing more annoying than a sandwich choc full to the point it's spilling out.

I know the tikka sauce is the premixed deli stuff in the big round jars, I don't know who makes it but they do a range of these mixing sauces for deli's. The nice thing is they seem to be stingy with all their sauces, which suits me as they are not drenching the chicken but others at work complain about it and usually get mayo also.

Mellor wrote: »

I assumed he was getting it from a spar or similar, so he wouldn't have the facility to weigh each ingredient, and if he did then each day would be a slightly different sandwich. they would all eventually average out to around a set weight. Like i said, unless you are weighing each and every ingredient approximate values are perfectly acceptable.

Advertisement