Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IEC Medicals

• 26-11-2012 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hey, just wondering if anyone can let me know..

Im going to be applying for an IEC visa whenever they're released, just looking at stuff now.

I have a BSc in Biotechnology, and was looking at the medical form and it states that if you intend on working in a clinical lab you need to have one done.

However I've no idea if thats the kind of job i'll be going for over there, I'm just going to work wherever I can to pay the bills! So would they see my qualifications and demand I get one, or could I just tick no on the form and get accepted?

Any help would be great thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

I was just about to post about the exact same thing! Have a BSc and working on my MSc at the mo and am hoping to go over by January 2014... I'm hoping to get some work in a lab ideally though, so I'm gonna put it down, just to be extra safe, the last thing I want to do is go over and be told I can't work in my field because I didn't spend half an hour doing a medical exam... My question is do I have to actually wait to get called for a medical, or can I do one now, get a letter from my GP and put that in with my application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 holla!

Have a BSc in Biotech myself, and have been in BC since June of last year. Honestly, it's very difficult to land anything in the science industry, especially the life science sector. That particular industry is not very advanced over here, Ireland is way more developed in that regard in my opinion. Unfortunately, your Irish qualifications actually mean very little here, they are mostly interested in your experience (and they really only look at North American experience) and whether you are up for the job. I came straight out of college and went to Canada and it took about nine months to get a job in the science industry and it's not even a life sciences job. It's in materials science but I actually love it so that worked out grand. Any entry level lab job will only pay about $12 per hour which would be difficult to survive on over here. You could try for a chemical technician job in the back arse of nowhere like Northern Alberta for $50 per hour but it's probably not the most exciting place to live. Be prepared to do some really crappy work to get on your feet and pay the bills.

Anyway, enough of the negative stuff. It's great to get out of Ireland for a while and experience a different culture. There's always so many things to see and do over here. People are wicked nice and they love the Irish. Who knows, you might be lucky and get a job in a couple of weeks or even get one lined up before you get here!

As for your medical exam, I wouldn't worry about it. I didn't get one. Most companies will refer you to the company doctors for a baseline medical when you begin your job anyway and you may get periodic medicals as well.

Hope the job search goes well and best of luck in Canada!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

Thanks for your insight holla! I'm planning on going over to Toronto, there seems to be a lot in terms of life sciences over there... Also I'm hoping to get certified by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science, as soon as I get over there, as a lot of job vacancies seem to specify certification, and that will hopefully help in getting a job in a lab. There a pre application assessment that I can do prior to moving over, and hope to take the exam in February 2014 (planning to be over there for January 2014).
    http://www.csmls.org/Certification/What-is-Certification.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 holla!

giggii wrote: »
    Thanks for your insight holla! I'm planning on going over to Toronto, there seems to be a lot in terms of life sciences over there... Also I'm hoping to get certified by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science, as soon as I get over there, as a lot of job vacancies seem to specify certification, and that will hopefully help in getting a job in a lab. There a pre application assessment that I can do prior to moving over, and hope to take the exam in February 2014 (planning to be over there for January 2014).
    http://www.csmls.org/Certification/What-is-Certification.aspx

Yeah, very good idea to get the Med Lab certification, there seems to be quite a few jobs in that all over Canada. Toronto would be muxh better for you than the west coast as well, plenty of pharmaceutical manufacturing companies, research centres, hospitals, universities etc. Check out indeed.ca or workopolis.com to get an idea of the job market. Also have a look at government and federal public service emplotment websites too, they tend to pay the big bucks! Definitely, the sooner you can get into your relevant field, the better! Do plenty of research into jobs/accomodation/transport etc before you leave.

Advertisement