Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Restaurants that Bad?

Options
  • 26-11-2012 2:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 207 ✭✭

So I plan on asking this girl out, and feel like saying "let's go out I don't know where.. any suggestions". But that would sound bad.. right? Where do young people in Ireland go these days for dates of age 19/20. I know they don't normally go to restaurants, but would it be that bad to suggest a restaurant for a date. In fact wouldn't it be very good. I can't think of any where else to go that would suit me more perfectly than a restaurant. A cinema would be awkward because you wouldn't get talk and therefore it could go pear shaped. I don't get the whole cinema thing.. especially on first dates.

Any thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A casual restaurant like Jo-Burger or the likes would be a good bet...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 207 ✭✭StrugglingSoul

Sleepy wrote: »
    A casual restaurant like Jo-Burger or the likes would be a good bet...

But why not a proper restaurant????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

So I plan on asking this girl out, and feel like saying "let's go out I don't know where.. any suggestions". But that would sound bad.. right? Where do young people in Ireland go these days for dates of age 19/20. I know they don't normally go to restaurants, but would it be that bad to suggest a restaurant for a date. In fact wouldn't it be very good. I can't think of any where else to go that would suit me more perfectly than a restaurant. A cinema would be awkward because you wouldn't get talk and therefore it could go pear shaped. I don't get the whole cinema thing.. especially on first dates.

Any thoughts?

I think going out for dinner is a really good first date. You have time to chat and if it goes well you can suggest moving on for a drink or coffee somewhere else afterwards. If if doesn't go well then its only the length of a dinner and you see the girl to her taxi/bus/walk her home and thank her for a nice evening and say goodbye.

A fun restaurant would probably be better than a more formal place and I think tapas is a good way to go. You have the chance to share food and discuss the merits/demerits of whatever tapa is your favourite....it can lead on to discussions of holidays to Spain or elsewhere and things that may have happened while away...people you were there with....

Good luck with your date.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Nothing wrong with a proper restaurant provided that (a) you are comfortable in proper restaurants, (b) you think it a good bet that she would be comfortable in a proper restaurant, and (c) it doesn't burst your budget - if you are a typical 19/20 year old you probably don't have a big income.

If part of your project is to get to know her better, having a meal together gives a great opportunity to talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

What a pleasant question and guy you seem! Actually there's nothing wrong with saying let's go out etc! Choose somewhere you are both comfortable in and can afford as has been said. Great early bird bargains to be had these days .Listen slightly more than you speak, smile often and pay and you won't go far wrong pal ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Honestly, if it's a first date, I wouldn't go for dinner with the guy. I'd be more inclined to suggest a drink or a coffee, something much more casual.

That said, all women are different and I hope she says yes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I second the tapas idea. They usually have a great, informal atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I think that's a lovely idea for a first date. Don't go too mad and book Chapter One but you don't want Burger King either, provided she likes Tapas I think that's a good idea too. With regards to paying, if she wants to pay her share don't argue too much, I always pay my way and wouldn't be comfortable letting a guy pay but it's nice to offer. So yeah depending on your outlook, go to pay, if she argues let her pay, if she doesn't then you pay if yo're ok with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Thinking back to when I was 19, most girls would have been frightened off by a "proper" sit down meal as a first date... it's a bit "full-on" for a first date for most young people. Even for many of us in our 30's, a formal meal as a first-date isn't always a great option as it's hard to leave early on in case the other person turns out to be a bit of a nut-job...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Milano for a pizza and then a trip to the cinema......that was the last proper date I was on - 7 years ago. happily married 2 years now!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Any thoughts?

Nothing wrong with it at all. But do bear in mind that a sit down meal for 2 hours can be a bit full on for a first date for some people. Might be better to go somewhere a little more informal like was suggested.

I was brought to a restaurant for a first date when I was about that age. I had no problem with it only when I met him outside the restaurant that night (a busy Friday night, and one of the most popular restaurants in town), when we went in I discovered he hadn't made a booking. He thought you could just rock up to a restaurant and they would have a table. Cue, 30 minutes of wandering around Limerick city centre looking for a place to eat that had a table.... That part wasn't so much fun, as I was hungry and he probably should have known better.

Nothing wrong with it at all. But do bear in mind that a sit down meal for 2 hours can be a bit full on for a first date for some people. Might be better to go somewhere a little more informal like was suggested.

I was brought to a restaurant for a first date when I was about that age. I had no problem with it only when I met him outside the restaurant that night (a busy Friday night, and one of the most popular restaurants in town), when we went in I discovered he hadn't made a booking. He thought you could just rock up to a restaurant and they would have a table. Cue, 30 minutes of wandering around Limerick city centre looking for a place to eat that had a table.... That part wasn't so much fun, as I was hungry and he probably should have known better.

He sounds a bit like me! Who paid by the way?? and was it a good date in spite of the starter

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

He sounds a bit like me! Who paid by the way

He did, I wanted to pay half, but he wouldn't let me. So I paid for drinks, nightclub etc later on. Date was fine, nothing more came of it after that, but it was nothing to do with the date itself.

He sounds a bit like me! Who paid by the way?? and was it a good date in spite of the starter

My first date with my now husband was for dinner. It wasn't a formal stuff restaurant and it gave great scope for chatting and there was a brilliant atmosphere.
    As I said in the post where I suggested tapas a dinner allows time and space for conversation while the pub could be jammers and too noisy.

My husband offered to pay for dinner when the bill came on condition that I got it the next time ;) It was his way of asking for a second date :)

My first date with my now husband was for dinner. It wasn't a formal stuff restaurant and it gave great scope for chatting and there was a brilliant atmosphere.
    As I said in the post where I suggested tapas a dinner allows time and space for conversation while the pub could be jammers and too noisy.

My husband offered to pay for dinner when the bill came on condition that I got it the next time ;) It was his way of asking for a second date :)

Out of curiosity did he touch you during the date & how did he kiss you later on that night?

Out of curiosity did he touch you during the date & how did he kiss you later on that night?

We went for a drink after the meal as we were getting on so well. Then when we left the pub he insisted on walking me to my taxi and hailed one for me.
    The taxi pulled up and I opened the door to get in and turned to say goodbye and thank you for a lovely time. He asked if I was free for lunch on Saturday (3 days later) I said yes I was, gave a wining smile and he leaned in and gave me a gentle kiss on the lips.
    When I ended I smiled at him, said goodnight again and went home.
    When I got home I sent a text to say I was home safe and sound and that I'd had a lovely evening. He replied to say that he did too and was really looking forward to lunch on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Milano for a pizza and then a trip to the cinema......that was the last proper date I was on - 7 years ago. happily married 2 years now!!!!!

There's a lot to be said for a trip to the cinema before dinner, sometimes you need a conversation piece to ease you into the date itself.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Closing thread - OP, its turning into chat, and you have a good bit of advice here, plus since you also have another thread in PI about asking a girl out, plus the same in After Hours, you are getting plenty of advice on the subject of your date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement