Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby & Toddler Android Apps

Options
  • 26-11-2012 3:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

(For babies and toddlers, rather than mammies and daddies.)

I've installed some of the featured and popular ones, looking for recommendations now. Tablet or phone, but I have just acquired a 7" tablet so it'd be nice to hear about anything specifically developed for tabs.

For a 15 month old in my case, but I'm sure others would like to hear recommendations for smaller and bigger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dabl

Baby Care Timer is worth a look. I'm sure the youngster will appreciate that it is software that is free as in freedom, licensed under GNU GPLv3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sorry, I should have specified that I'm looking for apps for babies and toddlers, not for mammies and daddies. :)

I don't agree with that: you'll pervert the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I have a nice one called 'toddler seek & Find' with hand-drawn zoo/farm scenes. You touch an animal and it moos or whatever. Baby loves it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

kidsmode is brilliant.
    we have it on our phones the ipad and the xoom for them(3 and 1) and you can log out other apps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

dabl wrote: »
    I don't agree with that: you'll pervert the child.

With what?

per·vert   [v. per-vurt; n. pur-vert] Show IPA
    verb (used with object)
    to affect with perversion.
    to lead astray morally.
    to turn away from the right course.
    to lead into mental error or false judgment.
    to turn to an improper use; misapply.

If you can not post anything useful then please refrain from posting on this forum.

Moonbeam wrote: »

With what?

per·vert   [v. per-vurt; n. pur-vert] Show IPA
    verb (used with object)
    to affect with perversion.
    to lead astray morally.
    to turn away from the right course.
    to lead into mental error or false judgment.
    to turn to an improper use; misapply.

If you can not post anything useful then please refrain from posting on this forum.

I clearly stated that it was my opinion, which in case you are interested, is strongly informed by the research of Vygotsky et al. on the development of small children. As I implied in my initial post, you don't even know what any of these programs really do, so why not err on the side of caution? In my opinion, obesity is caused by exposure to powerful foods at a formative age: with connected gadgets the risk is even greater. Please, give your child a chance to taste life in its purest form, to give them the strength to cope before they're swamped by the f'ing things.

I use them as a learning tool. If you choose not to, that's your lookout. Now push off and start your own thread if you want to continue proselytising.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

My little one who is 3 loves the kids painting ones... there are a few to choose from if you just do a search in the play store.

I have, as I mentioned in the OP. Looking for recommendations for specific apps now please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Chuchu wrote: »
    My little one who is 3 loves the kids painting ones... there are a few to choose from if you just do a search in the play store.

The drawing ones are great...the only problem is when the kids want a go ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

My baby always grabs at my tablet so I put BabyPiano on it, its OK but it could be better if you could lock it, she's always bringing up the search and stuff.
    I haven't found anything I'd really recommend, I may have to write me own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

As a small aside I got a tip from someone that if your little one is using your smart phone/tablet stick it on airplane mode, that way they can't do any damage clicking on ads, making phone calls etc!

Worst that can happen is they can move apps around or delete them (annoying in itself when you know something is different but don't know why!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

At that age my girl loved Toddler Lock, keeps the screen locked and they can tap and drag across it to get all sorts of shapes and noises.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=marcone.toddlerlock&feature=search_result#?t=W10.

She's two and a half now and loves Shape Builder. She constantly wants to use it and she's pretty good at the swiping to get to it. It's on the third page of my phone and if I hand it to her on the first page she swipes across the pages until she finds it and starts it herself.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chris.shapebuilder&feature=search_result#?t=W10.

Icky Mister Fox
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.ickyMrFox&feature=search_result#?t=W10.
    and Mr Fox and Mister Rabbit are two great interactive stories
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.MrFoxandMrRabbit&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W10.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭intothewest

Must try some/all of these..we have two under two and the nearly two yr old loves a go on the phone from time to time. Like someone said though, it drives me nuts that it can't be locked cos he keeps going back to the main screen or to ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

My little boy loves the lego games, he's 3 and a half.
    There's also an app called 'childstudy' which has little mini tasks like matching shapes, finding things, and counting games. I find that pretty good and the kids like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

My two year old loves 'nursery rhymes 2'.
    6 songs with simple animations telling the story.
    Trouble is that I have those 6 songs going round and round in my head.....all the time.

Advertisement