Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross at firhouse bridge over M50

Options
  • 26-11-2012 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

When heading towards Tallaght, just before you you drive over the firhouse bridge that goes over the M50 to the right there is a green area that has railings around it which you can not enter, inside there is a very big stone cross. You really cant see it if your in a car or on the botton level of the bus but you can if you are walking next to the railings against the traffic or on the top level of the bus heading towards Tallaght, as it is just behind the slope of the bridge.

Does anyone know who this cross is for, there is no particular reason why I want to know its just I pass it every day on my way home and as you cant get into it to read it I just wondered if any of you boardies know anything about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/handle/10599/7343

Doesn't say why it was erected though

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can actually get in there by going into Dodder valley park and following the path. The closest entrance is here. You can see from the aerial view it's a bit isolated, but you can walk up to it OK. It's public land.

Local "legend" is that it's to do with some kind of livestock epidemic in the 1800's which resulted in a huge cull. Could be total horse****, I'll do some digging on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

You are correct Seamus, it was because of a plague of pleuro-pneumonia (or black leg, not sure which).

The cross was erected in 1867, there is another one up beside Colmcilles well.

Info above from a book called Knocklyon Past and Present - I have it on pdf, nearly sure I got it from the SOuth Dublin Council online library - great book, they also have one on Firhouse and Bohernabreena/Glenasmole - you can learn loads about the local area.

Link to the PDF here.
    http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsource.southdublinlibraries.ie%2Fbitstream%2F10599%2F4913%2F2%2Fknocklyon.pdf&ei=8JmzUOG5F86DhQepiIHIDA&usg=AFQjCNHQelPnzpOz4xS5XOkFtVUD1x1Nsg&cad=rja

Page 49

I remember when that was produced actually, every shop in Knocklyon was trying to sell it. There's a very interesting "Walk around Knocklyon" which describes roads, fields and buildings that aren't there any more.

Yeah I remember when it was produced too. I came across it recently and it prompted me to do a little photo documentary of the local area (just for my own interest), I plan to go back and try to take the same pics in 10 years, things change a lot and sometimes the pics that seem kind of irrelevant are great to look back on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

thanks guys that really great, why didnt I think to google :o

but really brilliant and very interesting, im not originally from Knocklyon just here the last couple of years and only noticed this cross on my way back from tymon park during the summer and wondered what it was, havent done the dodder valley park walk as wasnt sure how safe it was, have seen it on the map and the other than the park over by the waterfall thing and then down across from ballyboden gaa the rest looks a bit dodgy to be walking on your own or in my case with a toddler so didnt feel confident with it.

but thats a great pdf also

thanks for that

Im in the area pretty much my entire life and would you believe Ive never walked it either edellc!! Similar feelings that it might be a bit desolate. And when I was younger it was a bit far for me as I grew up in the higher part of the area - top of Ballycullen.

As kids we used to walk up to Colmcilles Well, then for a long stretch up to the Hell Fire or Lord Masseys - although the roads would have been less busy in those days - I was banned after I got flashed at on the Daletree Road!

Oh right we only moved up here a couple of years ago, I would be more familiar with Rathmines and from my earlier years Rathfarnham, but the pdf is really interesting it even mentions the house my LL lives in now as well as where Im living and its history so very interesting . Was trying to do the walk around in my head as due to me walking everywhere I have become accustomed with the place quite quickly, and loved the bit about Orlagh House as every time I walk over the A bridge it stands out on the hillside and I wondered what this magnificent house was, the nerd in me is dying for the OH to get home so I can bombard him with my new found knowledge

so a big thank you for that loved it :D

just deleted the bit where I actually give my address...not a clever thing to do on the internet, no offence intended to you or others on this thread its just I should know better x

You'll get some interest pics and bits and pieces here.

I just used Knocklyon in the search, you can get more specific. Do Firhouse too - there is a book by Seamus O Neill thats good.

thats great Knocklyon castle is just up the road from me, they own horses and have stables out the back of the castle and a run for them

and doesnt twink like in Idrone house now..think someone wrote in big green marker on the walls outside

and the poor tree at superquinn has seen better days its all hollow now and groups of lads mill round it during the summer

there is a lot of construction work going on as well over by the church and school not sure what they are doing though

and must tell my LL about the mention of Homeville

• Advertisement

Yeah, the old pillars next to Knocklyon Castle still have the faint words of Prospect Manor on the tops - one is a bit overgrown. The Hare Krishnas used to live in there and lots of local tales of them trying to convert the kids - not a bit of it, they were very kind people.

Thats right, Twink has been there years now, I used to work in the Superquinn and she was a regular with the rubber cheque :)

Havent been down that way in a while actually.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Great thread, here's the link to the Bohernabreena book in pdf format

http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/bitstream/10599/4914/1/Bohernabreena%20a%20walk%20in%20time.pdf

Another good one is Glenasmole Roads:
    http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/handle/10599/4920

And both "Firhouse" and "Knocklyon Past and Present" and " St. Maelruan's and Tallaght" are here:
    http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/handle/10599/38/simple-search?query=firhouse+

They are all great sources of info about the areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Much of the land for the M50 was sold by the Carmelites in Firhouse Convent in the 70s or 80s, so the cross might have some connection to them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

RainyDay wrote: »
    Much of the land for the M50 was sold by the Carmelites in Firhouse Convent in the 70s or 80s, so the cross might have some connection to them.

True about the land, but the cross is cattle related.

On another note, Colmcilles well, can you park nearby to have a look at it?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Yes and no. It's a country road with no path. You can tuck your car in tight to the hedges and you'll be fine, but it's a judgement call, especially if there are a few cars there (though that's rare)

Tabnabs wrote: »
    True about the land, but the cross is cattle related.

As the previous poster said, tuck your car in and you will be fine, Id leave the hazards on if it was dark at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Good thread there is a cross on Scholarstown road on the left hand side at the entrance to a field if you heading towards templeroan roadabout - anyone know what that is for pass it everyday?

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Good thread there is a cross on Scholarstown road on the left hand side at the entrance to a field if you heading towards templeroan roadabout - anyone know what that is for pass it everyday?

is that the field across from colmcilles school where there are two houses surrounded by fields one called beechpark and one called maryfield

Im not sure where you mean re Scholarstown Road - initially I thought you meant on the approach from Stocking Lane to that roundabout - lot of fields on the left, but maybe you mean where Edellc is talking about? Although there are fields on the left on the approach from Taylors Lane too! Lot of fields in that area!

• Advertisement

Can you find the spot on google maps?

I think I can recall a cross on the Stocking Lane side of of that roundabout, and I think it's a memorial for someone killed in an RTA, but I could be thinking of somewhere else.

Im not sure where you mean re Scholarstown Road - initially I thought you meant on the approach from Stocking Lane to that roundabout - lot of fields on the left, but maybe you mean where Edellc is talking about? Although there are fields on the left on the approach from Taylors Lane too! Lot of fields in that area!

This is where I am talking about from end of stocking lane to roundabout just past bodenpark on left handside there is small lane/driveway amongst fields often see a cross there with flowers.

Luckycharm wrote: »
    This is where I am talking about from end of stocking lane to roundabout just past bodenpark on left handside there is small lane/driveway amongst fields often see a cross there with flowers.

Ill have to go and have a look at that, theres a couple of little entrances along there, cant see anything on google earth because there are a lot of trees/bushes there. I think I know the entrance you mean. Ill come back to this after Ive had a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

There's a newer cross/memorial there due to a teenager from Scholarstown Park committing suicide in the field a couple of years back. There might be an older one too.

https://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.279322,-6.305289&spn=0.003974,0.011689&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=53.279223,-6.304712&panoid=J56icBKfdz5R6DTOgkqt8Q&cbp=12,141.04,,0,9.21

Tragedy wrote: »
    There's a newer cross/memorial there due to a teenager from Scholarstown Park committing suicide in the field a couple of years back. There might be an older one too.

Could you give a google maps location?

I was wondering if it was a roadside memorial alright.

Ill have to go and have a look at that, theres a couple of little entrances along there, cant see anything on google earth because there are a lot of trees/bushes there. I think I know the entrance you mean. Ill come back to this after Ive had a look.

I will have to look to see if there- it looked more like a cross for some accident that had happened there.

Tragedy wrote: »

Yeah thats the entrance I was thinking of alright.

Cant say Ive ever noticed a cross in there, mind you dont think Ive ever been along there on foot, only driving.

Ill have a gander next time Im that way.

Advertisement