Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1100 Gaming PC Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The Samsung 830 would be the SSD of choice around these parts, why did you pick the SanDisk?

Windows 8, brave :p

If you want to overclock soon you may as well throw a cooler in there.

I'm in Carlow town if you need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Grab this HD7950 instead, once you overclock it it goes toe-to-toe with a Gigabyte Super Overclock Overclocked GTX 680.

Also, get the Samsung 830 128GB SSD instead.

A quick question on Windows 8; do you like it? Windows 7 would still give you the exact same gaming performance (If not better) and doesn't suffer from Metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Heretofore

ScanDisk purely just to keep the price down, have you heard bad things? I'll prob pick up a cooler at a later stage when i look into it more. Any opinions on the mobo?

No i have no idea about windows 8, just said id throw it in there and have a look. Anybody have any hands on time with it? How does the HD7950 perform prior to over clocking?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Since there are a few models available for around the the same money I'd get a HD 7970 instead

It will outperform a GTX 670 in most games, especially if you are looking at adding something like a 1440p monitor later on.

EDIT: As Eboggles suggests if you are willing to overclock there is a strong case to be made for a HD7950 as well as they start from under €300. Just make sure it is a model with once of the better coolers like the HIS ICEQ, Sapphire Vapour X or MIS Twin Frozer etc.

http://lb.hardwareversand.de/3072+MB/65384/HIS+HD+7950+IceQ+Boost+Clock+GDDR5+3072MB+DVI+HDMI+2xMiniDP.article

http://lb.hardwareversand.de/3072+MB/67817/Sapphire+Vapor-X+Radeon+HD+7950+OC+Boost%2C+3GB+GDDR5%2C+Full+Retail.article

http://lb.hardwareversand.de/3072+MB/59897/MSI+R7950+Twin+Frozr+3GD5+V2+OC%2C+3072MB+DDR5%2C+PCI-Express.article

EDIT 2: Just read some OC reviews for the Club 3D 7950 Royal King :eek:, get that instead if you go for a HD 7950

• Advertisement

Hopefully i will be adding a 1440p monitor sooner rather than later alright. Its seems that AMD is more popular a choice then (is that the general consensus on here?). Thanks for the advice, i will read up on both advised cards tonight.

The Samsung 830 would be the SSD of choice around these parts, why did you pick the SanDisk?

Windows 8, brave :p

If you want to overclock soon you may as well throw a cooler in there.

I'm in Carlow town if you need help.

Thanks Genghiz, going to do a bit more reading up on parts first before ordering as im kinda a noob on these things. If im stuck i'll shout

Okay ive decided to go with the build above but with the Club 3D 7950 Royal King (thanks for the advice), looks like i'll be overclocking the gpu straight off the bat though, are the fans on the Royal King sufficient or will i require a cooler (or is this only for cpu overclocking?), if so can anybody recommend a fan?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Heretofore wrote: »
    Okay ive decided to go with the build above but with the Club 3D 7950 Royal King (thanks for the advice), looks like i'll be overclocking the gpu straight off the bat though, are the fans on the Royal King sufficient or will i require a cooler (or is this only for cpu overclocking?), if so can anybody recommend a fan?

No need the one on it seems excellent, this is the review that I read after I saw Eboggles suggestion that made me cross out all my ones. :p

Great, thanks Marco, yeah that review changed my mind too! Also am now going with the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 with the money i have saved on the Graphics card, either that or swapping the sandisk ssd for the Samsung 830 as Genghiz and Eboggles have suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

Good Build might use it for myself. :D

What is the smallest case form factor i could comfortably fit the above in? Space being a bit of an issue. I can still do the Shinobi but something smaller would be better if possible

Heretofore wrote: »
    What is the smallest case form factor i could comfortably fit the above in? Space being a bit of an issue. I can still do the Shinobi but something smaller would be better if possible

The Shinobi is a fairly standard size midi ATX tower, you could certainly change the motherboard and case to mATX and comfortably fit everything in (be it a mATX tower or cube).

If you are feeling adventurous could even squeeze it all it into a top quality mITX case, but that would required careful study of the board, cooler size, GPU length, case layout etc to make sure it will all fit together and that the case will be avble to keep everything reasonably cool. If you were to go down this route the smallest I would go is probably the BitFenix Prodigy

Of course the smaller the form factor the more you lose in terms of ports, drive bays etc. If it were me, for a gaming PC (that you have said you might overclock) I would stick with mAtx tower or cube at the very least, unless you really really have to go smaller.

marco_polo wrote: »
    The Shinobi is a fairly standard size midi ATX tower, you could certainly change the motherboard and case to mATX and comfortably fit everything in (be it a mATX tower or cube).

If you are feeling adventurous could even squeeze it all it into a top quality mITX case, but that would required careful study of the board, cooler size, GPU length, case layout etc to make sure it will all fit together and that the case will be avble to keep everything reasonably cool. If you were to go down this route the smallest I would go is probably the BitFenix Prodigy

Of course the smaller the form factor the more you lose in terms of ports, drive bays etc. If it were me, for a gaming PC (that you have said you might overclock) I would stick with mAtx tower or cube at the very least, unless you really really have to go smaller.

Thanks Marco, taking that into account i will stick with the Shinobi. Ordering today at some stage so thanks for the help all! Stay tuned for my next thread "Christ on a bike what did i get myself into and how do i fit all this together?'

For €20 HWVS will put it together for you.
    Add this to your basket.

Add this to your basket.

Would you recommend it? I like the idea of putting it together myself but have no experience at PC building, decent at fixing other electrical items though so not a complete noob. I have watched and read a few 'how to build guides' and it seems straight forward enough, i just dont want to f things up. What do you advise?

I would recommend doing it yourself. After you see for yourself how easy it is you'll be amazed you were ever worried.

Add this to your basket.

Cheers Genghiz, thats exactly what i wanted to hear.
    One final question: decided to throw in a wireless card just in case, what is you opinion on this: http://lb.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=42568&agid=271

Just notice we both use Terry Pratchett user names

Advertisement