Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Toy Show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

The toy shows not the same as it use to be .. All the toys are boring 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Why is everyone saying they are sick of seeing jedward on the toy show? They have only been on it once as far as I can recall.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Why is everyone saying they are sick of seeing jedward on the toy show? They have only been on it once as far as I can recall.

I think people are just sick of Jedward in general. They appeared on the Toy Show in 2009 & 2011. They don't deserve to make a 3rd appearance to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

The toy shows not the same as it use to be .. All the toys are boring 😄

Bah Humbug :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dechecho

lockie1983 wrote: »
    I think people are just sick of Jedward in general. They appeared on the Toy Show in 2009 & 2011. They don't deserve to make a 3rd appearance to be honest!

Bad luck - Jedward will definitely be on. Not sure if live, or just the thing they filmed for it a while ago.

I've read a rumour that there is going to be a one-off super group formed from various Louis Walsh acts performing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

lockie1983 wrote: »

They were only on it in 2011 I think advertising the LLS competition! And they will be doing that this year too according to my neice! The competition is a trip to Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 eniarrol175

I wonder what prizes the audience will receive this year they always seem to get a lot !! Lucky f@@kers lol

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Q_ueeny

I wonder what prizes the audience will receive this year they always seem to get a lot !! Lucky f@@kers lol

If I remember correctly the prizes were alot less last year then previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Cannot wait for this tonight :D So excited for it.

Going to eat dinner and drink a stout (or two!) while watching it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ryan Turbidy took 2 hours of my families life off us tonight.

Absolute horseshyte and no propper toys.....my 9 year old daughter was very disappointed by this years toy show,as we were too.

RTE camera crew and floor manager need to be shot for lazy/half arsed camera work too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

was it really that bad? We are watching today on rte player?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I enjoyed it. It was a bit messy but the kids were particularly mental this year and it was good fun.

I enjoyed it. It was a bit messy but the kids were particularly mental this year and it was good fun.

Giving an 8 year old girl a book to read about a child being taken into a foster home and then being sent back into a care home is good fun then???

And then making the james bond kid out to be a pervert with the camera and looking at girls on the streets with it??

Badly Scripted shyte from RTE this year and its a new low for the Toy Show tbh.

RTE have some questions to answer over the Late Late Show and how it was produced and how it aired..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Well I enjoyed it. Yes, Tubs was acting like he was on speed or something but as long as the kids enjoyed it!

Alicat wrote: »
    Well I enjoyed it. Yes, Tubs was acting like he was on speed or something but as long as the kids enjoyed it!

Now now...we cant have another scandal involving drugs and one of RTE,s presenters.......

Too much candy floss and sugar before the show perhaps??:pac:

paddy147 wrote: »
    Giving an 8 year old girl a book to read about a child being taken into a foster home and then being sent back into a care home is good fun then???

:rolleyes:

The show was fun, wtf has the book got to do with it? No one ever said the book was fun but it would still be a good gift for a child who is able to deal with content like that.

RTE have some questions to answer over the Late Late Show and how it was produced and how it aired..

Not from me anyway!

:rolleyes:

The show was fun, wtf has the book got to do with it? No one ever said the book was fun but it would still be a good gift for a child who is able to deal with content like that.

Not from me anyway!

Well you and I obviously see things in a different light with regards whats fun and whats not fun for young kids to read and do,with regards a Late Late Toy Show.

And with regards to being able to see things...(not that I could see very much with the half arsed camera shots and very poor shoddy camera focusing).:(

Well you and I obviously see things in a different light with regards whats fun and whats not fun for young kids to read and do,with regards a Late Late Toy Show.

They have always featured a 'serious' book or two on the Toy Show for the older kids. There needs to be a bit of balance, not every kid wants a fluffy, funny, colourful book. It took up less than a minute of the whole programme, hardly a reason to question whether the show was fun or not!

They have always featured a 'serious' book or two on the Toy Show for the older kids. There needs to be a bit of balance, not every kid wants a fluffy, funny, colourful book. It took up less than a minute of the whole programme, hardly a reason to question whether the show was fun or not!

Lego--mentioned once.......didnt see any of it on camera

Schleich plastic toy animals---(massive seller) yet not a mention on Toy Show

Build a Bears----again not a mention.

Yet Tubs acting the complete twonk with his carry on and taking away from showing any good toys,close ups or even getting a half decent look at them.

He forgot 2 toys at the ad break and then managed to break one of them by leaning on it (kitchen set).

He did the same with the 2 young lads with the video games (he fcuked that up too,so you couldnt actually see what they were playing).

So between Tubs running around like a twonk and the half arsed cameramen.........its was a bit of a farce.

Yep,the recession must be really hitting RTE hard this year.

The kids sinnging and the young lad doing the "beatbox" was very good though.

I never mentioned any of those things. I merely picked up on the ridiculousness of using the one book as your top statement as to why the show wasn't good fun.

Yes the show was a bit messy, but I wasn't talking about that.

• Advertisement

I never mentioned any of those things. I merely picked up on the ridiculousness of using the one book as your top statement as to why the show wasn't good fun.

Yes the show was a bit messy, but I wasn't talking about that.

Ok so giving that dark deep book to an 8 year old for Christmass is fine with you,but its not my idea of a book as a present for an 8 year old child.

We will agree to disagree so.

PS-Im posting the above post in reply to you telling me that 1 book and 2 minutes doesnt make for a bad/poor toy show.

Ok so giving that dark deep book to an 8 year old for Christmass is fine with you,but its not my idea of a book as a present for an 8 year old child.

We will agree to disagree so.

Lots of people would give that book to their child if they felt the child was mature enough to read it. I know I was reading 'serious' books at that age. The Toy Show is supposed to cover a range of gifts for all sorts of children. Just because you don't feel it would suit your child, doesn't mean it wouldn't suit someone else's child.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I didn't appreciate Tubbs calling the children with the books 'nerds' and saying they were 'nerds corner.'

I thought we're meant to encourage children to read, not mock them for it. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I have to say at times the camera work was AWFUL, half the stuff wasn't picked up. It certainly was the worse directed Toy Show I have ever seen. But aside from that the content was the usual classic segments,

But I think this sums it up well, any craic? Níl.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

:confused:I enjoyed it

Tubs looked like he was interacting well with the kids. Far better than Pat Kenny's keep-the-snivvelling-brats-away-from-me approach. Regards well known toys not being mentioned, sure is that not kinda the point? Anyone that has kids that age already know the big toys, the toy show always shows some more unusual ones that parents might not have heard about. I think they always make a really good effort to promote Irish toys, which I admire.

Yeah, Ryan forgot a couple of toys... Oh well? Far better that it be a more natural interaction than a highly scripted affair. Looked like they were all having good fun. As for the book thing, sure kids have been reading about the famine for years and years, surely that's just as miserable? Yet I didn't see it affecting kids when I was that age and reading them. Wasn't hugely keen on Ryan calling it the nerds corner, though. Mind you, he did make a big deal of saying how much he loves books and they're part of his gang.

I think the people who are raging about it are gonna be the same ones who'd like to see a return to Pat Kenny hosting it and maybe trying to strike up a little political/economic debate with the child about whether the Irish toys they sampled have the potential to stimulate the economy... ffs. It's laughy, a bit messy, joking about, kids looked like they were having fun. Some good toys, some crap toys (which even Ryan was joking about... along the lines of "That. All Christmas morning. ALL Christmas morning..." and "So do you think that'd hold your interest for 2 minutes or 3?")

Lighten up folks, it was never meant to be a serious show. It's dedicated to kids and toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mishala

Does anyone remember Pat Kenny dressing up as Batman one year?! Im pretty sure that happened??

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭AoifeCN

I thought it was good,not the best but I enjoyed it :) highlight : any craic , níl :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

It was a very poor effort this year. RTE have dropped the ball a bit in my opinion. It didnt have the same zest about it as previous years with pat and gay. Part of the reason is that Tubridy is simply terrible.

His arrogance seems to help him get away with it but he was completely insufferable again this year. He is arrogant, rude to the children and desperately patronising. Gay and Pat were brilliant at bringing the best out of the kids. They did not need to put on this big huge act for the full show like Tubridy has to they were brilliant at drifting in between 'kid mode and adult mode and used to endear the adults with quick witted comments about the current affairs, state of the nation etc while at the same time relating to the children. It was kind of magical.

Tubbers on the other hand is almost obsessive about the children. He is not in the slightest funny and there is no natural connection between him and the children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ASVM

I have to agree about the camera work it was terrible, I couldn't see half the toys properly.

Also I though Santa should have made an appearance on the show.My two year old was asking where he was!

I also thought the show fairly badly in terms of including children with disability.I think I only saw one child with Downes Syndrome riding a bike across the set.Also why can't the show be signed for deaf children?

I also thought the set was very cluttered and the book review section was rushed.

Also I think the show is on too late for little one to stay up.

Ryan Tubridy was ok all in all and pretty nice to the kids. He should have kept those digs about the recession and economy out of though.Kids don't needed to be reminded about this stuff.

6/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

ASVM wrote: »
    I also thought the show fairly badly in terms of including children with disability.I think I only saw one child with Downes Syndrome riding a bike across the set.Also why can't the show be signed for deaf children?
    What does disability look like?

Not all disabilities are obvious - often children with autism, sensory processing disorders, ADHD, ADD, dyspraxia, mild cerebral palsy and some children with learning needs look like typically developing children but they have special needs all the same.

You shouldn't judge a book by its cover :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement