Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Toy Show

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ASVM

I made a valid point and you are just trying to stir things up.

Intellectual disabilities are not physcial so unless the viewers are MADE AWARE that the children have these disabilites then how would the VIEWING public know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

ASVM wrote: »
    I made a valid point and you are just trying to stir things up.

Intellectual disabilities are not physcial so unless the viewers are MADE AWARE that the children have these disabilites then how would the VIEWING public know.
    I genuinely do not want to stir anything up at all.

I've worked with children with special needs, there are large groups of children with special needs that don't look disabled but they have very serious challenges - with speech and language, sensory processing disorders and social skills. The parents of these children are often reprimanded or stared at in supermarkets because they have what others see as 'unruly children'. However, these children aren't bold or unruly, they have special needs of one kind or another, the only difference is that their disability is hidden.

I'm sure there were quite a few children with disabilities on the Late Late Toy Show but you only noticed the child with Down Syndrome because his/her difference is easier to identify.

I don't see the need to announce to viewers at home that John has dyspraxia or Mary has autism, why put the child on the spot like that? I think it is better as it is, let the children be children without being labelled. I thought Tubs did a good job referencing special needs toys and Irish suppliers.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I genuinely do not want to stir anything up at all.

I've worked with children with special needs, there are large groups of children with special needs that don't look disabled but they have very serious challenges - with speech and language, sensory processing disorders and social skills. The parents of these children are often reprimanded or stared at in supermarkets because they have what others see as 'unruly children'. However, these children aren't bold or unruly, they have special needs of one kind or another, the only difference is that their disability is hidden.

I'm sure there were quite a few children with disabilities on the Late Late Toy Show but you only noticed the child with Down Syndrome because his/her difference is easier to identify.

I don't see the need to announce to viewers at home that John has dyspraxia or Mary has autism, why put the child on the spot like that? I think it is better as it is, let the children be children without being labelled. I thought Tubs did a good job referencing special needs toys and Irish suppliers.

How are you sure? Did you contact the Late Late Show producers and ask them?

' I don't see the need to announce to viewers at home that John has dyspraxia or Mary has Austim, why put the child on the spot like that? -
    In relation to that statement it is not a question of putting the child on the spot, I never for one moment suggested putting a child on the spot.

However if the child wants to say that he/she is autistic or has another intellectual disability what is wrong with that? There should be no stigma attached to a child saying that he/she has an intellectual disability.

In fact we should be encouraging greater awareness of intellectual disability in our society.

How are you sure? Did you contact the Late Late Show producers and ask them?

' I don't see the need to announce to viewers at home that John has dyspraxia or Mary has Austim, why put the child on the spot like that? -
    In relation to that statement it is not a question of putting the child on the spot, I never for one moment suggested putting a child on the spot.

However if the child wants to say that he/she is autistic or has another intellectual disability what is wrong with that? There should be no stigma attached to a child saying that he/she has an intellectual disability.

In fact we should be encouraging greater awareness of intellectual disability in our society.

I know there were children with special needs there because Ryan made a point of saying that they had invited special needs children on to the show, like they do every year.

He also mentioned various special needs toys and aids. Children with special needs are often involved in demonstrating the cars, bikes, skooters etc. One of the most high profile and memorable reviewers on the LLS in recent years, was John Joe (physical disability) who reviewed books and was later invited back to do an item on clocks. I do think the Late Late Toy Show have always made a big effort to be inclusive but it is a toy show, there are other nights and other programmes to raise awareness of disability (in greater detail).

With regards to children mentioning their disability, I'd have absolutely no issue with that at all but in my experience young children with special needs (particularly the age group that are most likely to be on the LLS) tend not to label themselves.

I'm flabbergasted that people are complaining that children aren't going on TV shouting what disability they have, seriously, cop on.

• Advertisement

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I know there were children with special needs there because Ryan made a point of saying that they had invited special needs children on to the show, like they do every year.

He also mentioned various special needs toys and aids. Children with special needs are often involved in demonstrating the cars, bikes, skooters etc. One of the most high profile and memorable reviewers on the LLS in recent years, was John Joe (physical disability) who reviewed books and was later invited back to do an item on clocks. I do think the Late Late Toy Show have always made a big effort to be inclusive but it is a toy show, there are other nights and other programmes to raise awareness of disability (in greater detail).

With regards to children mentioning their disability, I'd have absolutely no issue with that at all but in my experience young children with special needs (particularly the age group that are most likely to be on the LLS) tend not to label themselves.

Look you can paint it up whatever way you like but you did take a personal stab at me. Maybe he did say there were were children with special needs on the show but I genuinely did not hear it.

If you knew this when I posted my comments you could have simply pointed this out instead of personally attacking me telling me 'to not judge a book by it's cover' and you even added the smiley face.

I genuinely care about children with special needs be they intellectual or physcial and that is why I posted my comment in the first place.

ASVM - I want to make it perfectly clear to you that I was not having a go at you at all and I can see that you genuinely care about this issue. I just want to explain something, in your first post you mentioned the following:
    Originally Posted by ASVM
    I also thought the show fairly badly in terms of including children with disability.I think I only saw one child with Downes Syndrome riding a bike across the set.

When I relied, I was simply pointing out that some disabilities are hidden and while you saw one child with Down Syndrome there would have been other children on the show whose disabilities wouldn't have been as easy to identify. The inclusion of the smiley was my attempt to be friendly.

I'm conscious that this is a thread about the Toy Show and not disabilities so I'm not going to post any further.

I'm flabbergasted that people are complaining that children aren't going on TV shouting what disability they have, seriously, cop on.

%esus %hrist did you even read my post? I just made the point about the Late Late show including children with disability. What is wrong with that? The moderator then turned me.

I give up you try to do right and your accused of all sorts.

Turn on the CBEEBIES on BBC see how wonderfully they include children with disabiltiy.

Turn on the CBEEBIES on BBC see how wonderfully they include children with disabiltiy.

Why should a show include people with a disability anyway? Is this a regulation nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I'm closing this thread because it's getting very far out of the Christmas spirit of the forum and we've already had complaints about it. There is a thread I believe in the TV forum if anyone wants to continue a general discussion on the Late Late Show / Toy Show etc.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement