Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Configuration Management System?

Options
  • 26-11-2012 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

I'm currently looking into a configuration management system called CFEngine.

I'm just a little confused as to what an actual configuration management system is? I've looked on Google and theres loads of diff definitions.

Can anyone give me a quick definition and what they are used for and can do?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Basically, they're systems that can be used to define how servers are setup. For example, you can set up servers to have apache on them by just editing your definition on the CFengine server.

This video might help (it's about Puppet which is similar to CFengine)

Edit: On reflection, that video might be a bit off topic/over the top for what you need. Still, decent video.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Herrick wrote: »
    I'm currently looking into a configuration management system called CFEngine.

I'm just a little confused as to what an actual configuration management system is? I've looked on Google and theres loads of diff definitions.

Can anyone give me a quick definition and what they are used for and can do?

Why would you be looking into it if you don't know what it does ? Just curious.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

uch wrote: »
    Why would you be looking into it if you don't know what it does ? Just curious.

College assignment, describe it's features and uses, etc.

Advertisement