Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

37 years of age and into Lego. Acceptable or Embarrassing?

• 26-11-2012 6:01pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was a huge fan of Lego as a kid - it was really the only toy I wanted and back in the 1980s I built up a very sizeable collection of town, space and castle Lego. I also had many Technic sets too. Eventually, in my mid teens I moved on and left my Lego days behind.

A few years back, I purchased the Lego technic Mars Exploration rover model and rediscovered my love of Lego. My partner quipped about me being a "big kid" and since then I've built up a modest collection of some Lego Creator sets, minifigs, some Mars Mission space Lego and some Lego city sets.

I've noticed that Lego does a range of Architect sets that seem to be aimed at adults, there are many Lego blogs and groups on the Internet and even Lego conventions for grown ups.

So, at 37 years of age is it OK to like Lego? Is Lego like model railways for men of my Dad's generation or should I keep my love of the building blocks firmly under wraps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

26 Years of age... Lego is NEVER embarrassing...

7992416820_18d0f06cff.jpg
    The Heist by deanvmc, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭enricoh

how much lego can u fit up yer bum?
    only messin - its outta the inbetweeners! do whatever yer into n sod the begrudgers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Kia_Kaha

Be yourself, you can't be no one else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I was a huge fan of Lego as a kid - it was really the only toy I wanted and back in the 1980s I built up a very sizeable collection of town, space and castle Lego. I also had many Technic sets too. Eventually, in my mid teens I moved on and left my Lego days behind.

A few years back, I purchased the Lego technic Mars Exploration rover model and rediscovered my love of Lego. My partner quipped about me being a "big kid" and since then I've built up a modest collection of some Lego Creator sets, minifigs, some Mars Mission space Lego and some Lego city sets.

I've noticed that Lego does a range of Architect sets that seem to be aimed at adults, there are many Lego blogs and groups on the Internet and even Lego conventions for grown ups.

So, at 37 years of age is it OK to like Lego? Is Lego like model railways for men of my Dad's generation or should I keep my love of the building blocks firmly under wraps?
    I'm a little younger (not much!) but in same boat! You're never too old for lego! Haven't gotten architecture sets as I think they're too pricey and don't have enough bits. Instead I've bought about 8 or 9 of the Nanoblocks (see my other thread) sets which I'd highly recommend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Some of those mindstormz kits are amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

You are a legand. I would love to work for lego machineing all there new parts. Did you ever see the programme on discovery about lego. Holy lord thats all ill say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

There's nothing wrong with having this hobby as an adult, though it's understandable that some people are a little insecure about what is, essentially, playing with childrens' toys.

When I got back into Lego I was a bit guarded about who I admitted the hobby to, but over the last two years I've dropped the insecurity because, well, who cares what others think? I know people who spend €70 a week on cigarettes which I couldn't fathom doing, but I don't judge. I might make a €100-€150 Lego purchase every couple of months, and I know what I'd find more shameful to admit.

At the end of the day, it's something that brings me a lot of joy, and I find it invaluable during the odd stressful day/week/month. If some people find it weird then so be it, that's their prerogative.

Fwiw, Lego have made it known that adult fans of Lego account for roughly 5% of their market share. When you consider what a global and cultural phenomenon Lego is, that's a pretty significant number IMO. It's why you see more and more sets aimed at adults - the modular buildings, for example, or the UCS Star Wars sets.

And always remember: we don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There's nothing wrong with having this hobby as an adult, though it's understandable that some people are a little insecure about what is, essentially, playing with childrens' toys.

When I got back into Lego I was a bit guarded about who I admitted the hobby to, but over the last two years I've dropped the insecurity because, well, who cares what others think? I know people who spend €70 a week on cigarettes which I couldn't fathom doing, but I don't judge. I might make a €100-€150 Lego purchase every couple of months, and I know what I'd find more shameful to admit.

At the end of the day, it's something that brings me a lot of joy, and I find it invaluable during the odd stressful day/week/month. If some people find it weird then so be it, that's their prerogative.

Fwiw, Lego have made it known that adult fans of Lego account for roughly 5% of their market share. When you consider what a global and cultural phenomenon Lego is, that's a pretty significant number IMO. It's why you see more and more sets aimed at adults - the modular buildings, for example, or the UCS Star Wars sets.

And always remember: we don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing :)

That's a lovely post - I fully agree. Who cares if I like lego? It brings me happiness.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Never too old.. I'm 32 and spend every day working with LEGO.. Teaching kids using LEGO Education kits. I've been over to LEGO a good few times for various meetings, at a recent one we where talking about AFOL and they work with the larger AFOL groups when doing R&D on new kits... Heck, I've even done classes with over 60's groups and they love it!

Now, back to working on getting this damn Unimog built!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Are you any more childish than all the grown men who sit and play video games all day?

I know people at work who have taken a week off when new games come out. And these are guys in senior positions and in their late 30s.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

im 36 and my 8 year old is lego mad..........................me too, I shoulder him out of the way in the smyths lego aisle, insist on picking the latest lego loot to purchase, we take turns slotting the pieces together with daddy getting most of the turns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I built a lego motorbike I got as a Christmas present last year, (42 yrs old),
    thoroughly enjoyed it. It had pistons and gears and everything, and I did it all by myself. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Like doing jigsaw puzzles myself, isn't the tech Lego really a 3D jigsaw, but if you start replacing your furniture with full scale replicas them maybe it's time to stop. Pretty sure someone built a fullsize car out of lego but todo that you have to be grand master level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

I'm 41, have 9 Lego Technics models at home on shelves, have 7 from the Star Wars series, on my desk in work I have 200 minfigs all different and I swap with some of the chap here.
    And Santa is bringing me the new 4x4 technics model

Be Lego, be proud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I'm 41
    And Santa is bringing me the new 4x4 technics model

Be Lego, be proud
    Pffft a 40 year old could do one of them:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

I have my lego divided into two categories,

1. The stuff my kids are allowed play with
    2. MY LEGO.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

While looking for ideas with my 8 year old son i came across this site: sariel.pl
    Yer man has some head on his shoulders i can tell you!
    I love playing with lego which is just as well because my kids do too. Mrs Woman gives me weird looks when i'm up to my elbows in bricks!
    Does anyone have any ideas for a lego workbench. That is, to store and build on, rather than build out of lego! Its for the kids of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I'm 34 and fixed the family Kris Kindle so my dad could buy me some Lego. You're never too old for Lego, well maybe not Duplo.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

shedweller wrote: »
    While looking for ideas with my 8 year old son i came across this site: sariel.pl

That's a great site, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Nope you're not too old. I love Lego and so does the other half. I joke about it with him but would never discourage it or wouldn't want him to feel like I am.

My brother is a bit older than me & was long past playing with Lego as a kid when I was getting into it (& using the stash he'd built up over the years). Best times were when he'd help me make stuff or when I'd hand him the Lego catalogue & say "I really want this but mam can't afford it". Guaranteed a few days later, he'd have made a version of it. And he liked having the reason to play with the Lego too.

Like someone said - as long as you're not slowly replacing the furniture in your house with lego or like forgoing food to fund the habit then I think you're fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

sorry if i am reviving an old thread, but i finally pulled the trigger and ordered myself 4x4 crawler today... at age 26. :o

my childhood was surrounded by lego, but it was all lost for me now :(. i was toying with idea to go back to it, but never made a final step and was a bit scared what people will think...
    so everyone can go and fudge off now, i ordered myself a lego and i will enjoy it. misses knows about it and she is fine with it! she knows i am a nerd, so there were no surprise in her face! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

My parents couldn't afford lego. so i started gettin little bits here and there and mostly minifigs now and little sets that are on offer. I would love the lord of the rings big set but with wedding coming up-ain't gonna happen.

First big buy- the sopwith camel with 883 pieces about 6months ago.

my age... 29.

^^^^^^^
    Is it for Christmas, ShadowHearth? Or just because!

^^^^^^^
    Is it for Christmas, ShadowHearth? Or just because!

i was tempted to kick back in to lego, but never had balls to do it. I was toying with idea now too. I was thinking of making yet another upgrade for my pc as an xmas present, but at this stage i realised it is only the ePenis enlargement at this stage. My pc is good enough without any upgrades. so i maned up and pressed that button "buy lego" :P

was hard to find one, when i decided to pull the trigger though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

My parents couldn't afford lego. so i started gettin little bits here and there and mostly minifigs now and little sets that are on offer. I would love the lord of the rings big set but with wedding coming up-ain't gonna happen.

First big buy- the sopwith camel with 883 pieces about 6months ago.

my age... 29.

I got back into Lego in the Christmas of 2009 when I made a bit of an impulse purchase driven by nostalgia and some money burning a hole in my wallet. I felt guilty about spending €50 on the set. A few months later, I saw a Creator set that I really liked but couldn't justify spending the €85 it cost. I thought it was insane spending that kind of money on a toy. Fast forward about a year and a half later, and I was dropping €430 on the Death Star :o

My girlfriend stayed with me after that one, as big an endorsement of the relationship you could ask for :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I've got a daughter who just turned three, all the Duplo is being packed up for the attic and this Christmas she/we are getting the Lego space shuttle and the Fire Station. Can't wait! Even my brother in law said if we needed a hand putting the fire station together on Christmas Day can he help, I told him the more the merrier, he was made up!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Suppose there are worse vices do what makes you happy buddy,enjoy your Lego..
    I still play box 360 games and I am the same age.
    My son plays Lego Monster Fighter Lego and he is 5.Sometimes I buzz off him and play it with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

I went and bought the Lego Technic rescue heli today. Still need to build it. Anyway...

When I was buying it in smyths, the cashier said, after looking at the rather big box,

"Someone will be happy on Christmas Day."

My reply?

"I sure will be."

Que one cofused looking cashier. Meh...I didn't care. Like most of you said, I grew up around the stuff, then gave it all away. Was a complete impulse buy, but I couldn't be happier. :)

Arciphel wrote: »
    I've got a daughter who just turned three, all the Duplo is being packed up for the attic and this Christmas she/we are getting the Lego space shuttle and the Fire Station. Can't wait! Even my brother in law said if we needed a hand putting the fire station together on Christmas Day can he help, I told him the more the merrier, he was made up!

i would tell him feck off and get his own lego daughter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

One of the best Christmases I ever had as a kid was when I got the Lego monorail kit - my Dad had it hidden behind the sofa so it was a big surprise after thinking I had only got a few books off Santa :P Quite a bit older now, but a few years ago I bought a Lego Technic tractor/car set and I loved putting it together, so I'm kind of in the mood for treating myself to a small kit this year after reading this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Derek93

Am 37 Myself, was buying some Lego for my 6 year old son and 5 year old daughter and decided hell i'll get some for myself also. That was 3 months ago, I now have about 4 technic sets. Never to old, what saddens me is the fact I had so much lego as a kid and did not take care of it, knights and castles and all that cool stuff. lesson learned will make sure my own kids take care of there Lego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Awe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Gf bought me a book for christmas. Make Lego and Arduino Projects.

Couldn't be happier.

And I made myself a 3d printer so I can print any lego pieces I don't have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

When I was in college we built lego robots and programmed them to carry out different tasks.Ended up building an obstacle course and having a competition to see who had the best robot.Probably the only labs that had full attendance.Great fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Damn this thread....Damn it to hell!

I'm getting itchy fingers just thinking about it!
    I still have all my Technic in the attic of my parents house.

• Advertisement

Squaredude wrote: »
    When I was in college we built lego robots and programmed them to carry out different tasks.Ended up building an obstacle course and having a competition to see who had the best robot.Probably the only labs that had full attendance.Great fun!
    That's the kind of thing our education system needs more of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

That's the kind of thing our education system needs more of!
    Most definitely!If only all my labs would have consisted of building lego robots and setting them loose in the applied physics lab!

I wonder... How many of us will come out out of closet this holiday season :D.

Damn it I can't wait for my one to arrive now! :( payed 30eu for express delivery alone. It said on website it will be delivered by 25th!
    I will have one awesome Xmas day this year, even if I don't care about celebrating Xmas it self :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I told my missus about this thread this morning, I expected her to tell me to grow up. Instead she told me I should've mentioned it earlier and she'd have gotten some for me for Christmas.

D'OH!

It's not too late Lurching! Get in there!!!!:D

• Advertisement

Aye! Get on board m8! I did not even got my first one delivered and I am already planing on which one I am buying next :D.

Btw how often new sets of technic come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

My two favourite Lego creations made 25+ years ago

A simple wind mill powered by a salvaged casette tape Recorder small engine and the volume to adjust it's speed. An elastic band between the engine and the mill.

The second was a rocket launcher. I had to cut two pieces of Lego with a hack saw blade to tailor fit one part. Again using a long elastic band but this time to propel the rocket about 6 inches long. We used to build Lego targets at the end of the room and it was so accurate and powerful it would smash them to pieces. The impact was so loud as well it was frightening and it was making the skirting board. It's was accurate even at 8+ yards.

Great fun. My mother used to hover the pieces up. I did have a lot of Lego and wasnt always tidy.

I've a kid now and soon I can buy him, I mean us some Lego.

Normally late December to early January see's lego release part of the following years line-up and then they do another release around june.

www.brickset.com is a good source of news and handy site for model details ect.

I think lego have announced about 16 new sets next year in the technics range, of interest to me is the new excavator 42006 ( no power functions and a grab arm ) looks to be a nice middle range set, Flagship for next year looks like a F1 racecar set 42000, ofc things can change.

Also note sometimes Lego can do some creator sets that are very close to Technic in building style such as the 2006 Monster dino 4958.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Arciphel wrote: »

Is your daughter not a little on the young side for the Lego city range just yet? Also, Duplo interconnects with standard Lego so no need to put it into storage just yet...

...or are you really getting the Shuttle and Fire Station for yourself, using your daughter as an excuse? ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I still have all the lego and technic from when I was a kid. I'm 32 and still love playing with lego

Damn if. I went in to local world of wonder and all they had was helicopter for 79.99 and recovery truck for 59.99eu. Same prices as online, but I wanted to see if there was super car one.
    After looking at the size of boxes of those two I got a bit scared... How fecking big package am I expecting so?!?!?! 4x4 crawler should massive?!?!
    I might sneak out to cork and see if there are logging trucks or super car ones in Patrick street. No luck with Argos so far :(.

got my 4x4 crowler and placed order on this on amazon. :o

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-285766-Technic-8070-Supercar/dp/B0042HOU6W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355942395&sr=8-1

good price, i could not resist. delivery date with super saver is on 28/29th. not bad.

Crawler I belive is a mixed bag either like it or hate it from what I hear, supercar I have never tried. Pixmainia can be good for some sets also and tends to have some older sets in stock if your lucky, If you really want to splash out they have had some of the UCS kits with 25%+ discounts in the past such as the super star destroyer ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

• Advertisement
Advertisement