Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

37 years of age and into Lego. Acceptable or Embarrassing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Gratz m8! I am still waiting for 25th to start building crawler, then 27th to get my supercar delivered.

As for that back to the future set. I love the movies, but I don't really like the set. Car it self look very undolorish if you know what I mean. They child have make it a lot bigger to make more detailed item. Maybe even a model/creator range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I got that last year, still haven't finished building it!!

i think i need help :D

i just got back from town and picked up tow truck 9395 too. :o last one too! i was few days in before and there were 3 of them!

i will have a very busy xmas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

unklerosco wrote: »
    I got that last year, still haven't finished building it!!

3 friends, steak dinners, plenty of tea and some joints, we got through it in one evening.

Have a mindstorms kit i think its called there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ATMAddict

43 and still buying Lego, for me. My kids have started to get onto Lego now also, but most of the stuff I buy is for me

postman just came in! brought my lego supercar and parts i ordered from fella in dublin! i am so happy! :D big day tomorrow!

IMG_1214_zps3debaa76.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Derek93

Just bought the Unimog and the supercar from Amazon.fr for 200 euro, still more available.

Derek93 wrote: »
    Just bought the Unimog and the supercar from Amazon.fr for 200 euro, still more available.

Link? Is that a bundle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

One of my biggest regrets in life is not getting the Millennium Falcon 10179 set when it came out first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I remember getting this one for christmas around 1981 or so. Wouldn`t mind having a go at it again. Lego technic set 853 car chassis it was called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Gf bought me a book for christmas. Make Lego and Arduino Projects.

Couldn't be happier.

And I made myself a 3d printer so I can print any lego pieces I don't have!

You made yourself a 3D printer? As a nerd I demand a video!

Link? Is that a bundle?

Hey sorry Shadow, did not see updated post, was not a bundle, supercar was 69 euro and the unimog was 130 euro on french amazon site, you could check for more, I don't have access to google chrome on this machine currently or I would try find links, can't read french with googles help :(

Always check the other amazon sites besides UK when buying stuff, they will most of the time ship anywhere and the prices change depending on country, sometimes can get some good deals.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Got the Architect series Farnsworth House as an Xmas present from my sister. Really chuffed! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

My Lego this year was a lot less than most of you lot. This one is the only actual Lego set I got, and didn't take all that long to build!
    9390-1.jpg
    Fortunately (on a "building set" related note) I also got another Nanoblocks set to add to the collection plus one of those make-your-own-solar-gadget kits! Oh yeah and I'm 32! :)
    stMichel.png
    6-in-1-solar-kit-all.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

To make up for my pants Christmas post I thought I'd share last year's splurge to contribute to this thread! I came across a guy on Adverts off-loading a load of his childhood Lego last year and simply couldn't resist! Nearly 10,000 pieces in total with just maybe 5-10 missing across all 13 sets! I paid around € 350 which I don't think was bad for the lot! Well worth the 2 hour roundtrip drive to collect!

8285, 8455, 8052, 8053, 8288, 8289, 8284, 8297, 8292, 8264, 8418, 8290, 8270!

I13566016702421500_1.jpg

• Advertisement

g0g wrote: »
    To make up for my pants Christmas post I thought I'd share last year's splurge to contribute to this thread! I came across a guy on Adverts off-loading a load of his childhood Lego last year and simply couldn't resist! Nearly 10,000 pieces in total with just maybe 5-10 missing across all 13 sets! I paid around € 350 which I don't think was bad for the lot! Well worth the 2 hour roundtrip drive to collect!

I13566016702421500_1.jpg

Very nice collection, 8264 and 8455 are two I want to get myself.

I13566016702421500_1.jpg

you lucky bugger! i would make a great home for that 4x4 and truck! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

God dammit guys, I see a thread in the Games forum that piques my interest and come here out of curiosity, read through this thread (and Shadowhearth's) and now look what's after happening:

8319171214_96f74a1fb1.jpg

8319172188_a9d86ab4a6.jpg

:o

It was the only set that seemed to be available in Limerick, but it's B model looks a bit like classic Optimus Prime so I was sold.

Now I find myself looking at what set I want to get next :D.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    God dammit guys, I see a thread in the Games forum that piques my interest and come here out of curiosity, read through this thread (and Shadowhearth's) and now look what's after happening:

8319171214_96f74a1fb1.jpg

8319172188_a9d86ab4a6.jpg

:o

It was the only set that seemed to be available in Limerick, but it's B model looks a bit like classic Optimus Prime so I was sold.

Now I find myself looking at what set I want to get next :D.

hehe sorry :o.

that is a great set m8. took me around 6-7h to finish it. it is really nice looking and massive. lots of great parts if you will be looking for making Mocs. a lot of a set for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Where is the best place to buy from new? Damn this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

sirpsycho wrote: »

The obvious one is Lego's online store:

http://shop.lego.com/en-IE/

You can also find brand new sets on eBay, and the unofficial Lego market Bricklink (both new and second hand sets). Offline, you've got Smyths, Argos, and Art and Hobby.

Depends what you looking for. Good places so far:

Amazon.ie
    Amazon.de
    Amazon.fr
    Lego.com
    Pixmania.ie

I found local shops to be quite crap if you looking for lego technic stuff. If you do want to get second hand sets, then that website is perfect. ( linked above post ). You can even find a lot of sealed sets too. Cheaper then retailers.

I came back to lego this Xmas after so many years as adult. One of the best things I dd in the last 10 years.

^ Can't believe I forgot to list the Amazons. It's worth shopping around the different European ones, another is Amazon.it.

If you're shopping on Lego's own website, be sure to sign up for the VIP programme - you get €5 for every €100 spent. It's a bit scary how quickly it adds up ;)

If you're looking to stay up to date with new releases and such take a look at www.brickset.com.

^ Can't believe I forgot to list the Amazons. It's worth shopping around the different European ones, another is Amazon.it.

If you're shopping on Lego's own website, be sure to sign up for the VIP programme - you get €5 for every €100 spent. It's a bit scary how quickly it adds up ;)

If you're looking to stay up to date with new releases and such take a look at www.brickset.com.

Aye, I was looking in to VIP, but got confused. Do I sign up for a card etc? Or do I have to have one?

There is feck all nice for me as technic coming out these days :(. Though I want to put order on lego.com for 3 XL motors and a few other bits, have a few parts that I need to order from second hand dealers.

I would highly recommend always having a look in heatons for lego sets. I picked up ninjago 3 in 1 set for 20eu.

Aye, I was looking in to VIP, but got confused. Do I sign up for a card etc? Or do I have to have one?

There is feck all nice for me as technic coming out these days :(. Though I want to put order on lego.com for 3 XL motors and a few other bits, have a few parts that I need to order from second hand dealers.

I would highly recommend always having a look in heatons for lego sets. I picked up ninjago 3 in 1 set for 20eu.

All explained here: http://shop.lego.com/VIP/index.jsp

When you sign up, they send you a physical card as well which you can use in brand stores. Which we don't have here :(

I currently have €50 in my account :o

All explained here: http://shop.lego.com/VIP/index.jsp

When you sign up, they send you a physical card as well which you can use in brand stores. Which we don't have here :(

I currently have €50 in my account :o

50eu already? Wow. Some shopper lol!!! Pics of your collection? :D

I am trying to find a new technic set for myself, with a good selection of parts in it. I am not a big crane and heavy machinery man though :(.

Plus I still can't decide, what I want to collect from small non technic sets, thinking of dropping now and then in to my technic orders some small sets for safe keeping, some what I lean towards starwars. That new chima theme is plain weird for me... Is that what kids like these days? The sets are just pure mess too. :(. We need a horror survival them! Post apocalyptic theme! :D

50eu already? Wow. Some shopper lol!!! Pics of your collection? :D

Ha, I wish I had! I don't have that much display room so unfortunately I don't think my collection has ever been fully assembled at the same time.
    Plus I still can't decide, what I want to collect from small non technic sets, thinking of dropping now and then in to my technic orders some small sets for safe keeping, some what I lean towards starwars. That new chima theme is plain weird for me... Is that what kids like these days? The sets are just pure mess too. :(. We need a horror survival them! Post apocalyptic theme! :D

Yeah the Chima stuff looks very kiddy-oriented, doesn't interest me in the slightest. Are you tempted by any of the Star Wars UCS stuff? I bought the Imperial Shuttle a couple of months ago, and it is a behemoth. If you can picture the set from the movies, this is built to scale (minifig = human) so that gives you an impression of how gargantuan it is!

hell no i love the lego games on ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

Lets assume that it is embarrasing to be into lego at 37. I assume as much as if it wasn't this thread wouldn't exist.

but...

So what if it is a little embarassing. There are things I enjoy that I would be quite embarassed about. Maybe I shouldn't be but if my emotions were rational, they wouldn't really be emotions :)

Everyone has thier guilty little secrets. Enjoy yours. So long as your OH is cool with it, then I see nothing wrong with building a mini lego universe for yourself.

Don't try to intellectualise it or find a way to make it seem more adult. Be glad that you are able to enjoy something as fun and harmless and relatively cheap as lego. :D

HHobo wrote: »
    Lets assume that it is embarrasing to be into lego at 37. I assume as much as if it wasn't this thread wouldn't exist.

but...

So what if it is a little embarassing. There are things I enjoy that I would be quite embarassed about. Maybe I shouldn't be but if my emotions were rational, they wouldn't really be emotions :)

Everyone has thier guilty little secrets. Enjoy yours. So long as your OH is cool with it, then I see nothing wrong with building a mini lego universe for yourself.

Don't try to intellectualise it or find a way to make it seem more adult. Be glad that you are able to enjoy something as fun and harmless and relatively cheap as lego. :D

Relatively cheap.... How little you know... How little you know my friend... :D

• Advertisement

Ha, I wish I had! I don't have that much display room so unfortunately I don't think my collection has ever been fully assembled at the same time.

Yeah the Chima stuff looks very kiddy-oriented, doesn't interest me in the slightest. Are you tempted by any of the Star Wars UCS stuff? I bought the Imperial Shuttle a couple of months ago, and it is a behemoth. If you can picture the set from the movies, this is built to scale (minifig = human) so that gives you an impression of how gargantuan it is!

Link is not working m8. I was thinking of buying smaller sets as a supplement for my big technic sets. My primary stuff still will be technic, but it would be nice to collect setting on a side too. I was not biggest fan of starwars, but looks like SW universe is most close to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

Relatively cheap.... How little you know... How little you know my friend... :D

Haha! Thats fair to say:D

Link is not working m8. I was thinking of buying smaller sets as a supplement for my big technic sets. My primary stuff still will be technic, but it would be nice to collect setting on a side too. I was not biggest fan of starwars, but looks like SW universe is most close to me :)

Oops, not sure what happened there. Here:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=10212-1

Since you're into Technic, there's also what you could consider a Technic/SW crossover, though it was retired a few years ago. I missed it too, I remember debating the purchase and it was retired without warning :(

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=10178-1

Oops, not sure what happened there. Here:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=10212-1

Since you're into Technic, there's also what you could consider a Technic/SW crossover, though it was retired a few years ago. I missed it too, I remember debating the purchase and it was retired without warning :(

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=10178-1

like i said, i am not an biggest SW fan, but those two sets are just pure sex! :o its a shame they are in "pay with kidney, left leg and kids in to slavery" territory :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

From the "Whats the most retarded thing you've ever done?" thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76376202&postcount=661

5590 is for sale on eBay :(. I felt in love with that set when I was a child. I could not even shine to own something like that. Looks like I won't get it now too. Still biddings and price already wel over 120eu.

I had a wander around Smyths and an Art & Hobby shop today. No Technic left in stock! I have a feeling there are a lot of 30-somethings out there getting back into it...

Argos sold out of most Technic also. How can that be!! Well, the one in Drogheda anyways.

I had a browse through Amazon and came across this...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Technic-8285/dp/B004KI7010/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1357174182&sr=1-1

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Technic-8421-Mobile-Crane/dp/B00097E4JW/ref=sr_1_5?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1357174182&sr=1-5

Not a cheap hobby! Who is buying that stuff from Amazon, I know they are rare sets but still.

Think the Lego un-official marketplace or the official store are the ones to hit :(

I had a wander around Smyths and an Art & Hobby shop today. No Technic left in stock! I have a feeling there are a lot of 30-somethings out there getting back into it...

Argos sold out of most Technic also. How can that be!! Well, the one in Drogheda anyways.

I had a browse through Amazon and came across this...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Technic-8285/dp/B004KI7010/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1357174182&sr=1-1

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Technic-8421-Mobile-Crane/dp/B00097E4JW/ref=sr_1_5?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1357174182&sr=1-5

Not a cheap hobby! Who is buying that stuff from Amazon, I know they are rare sets but still.

Think the Lego un-official marketplace or the official store are the ones to hit :(

Yep there are some retarded people out there when pricing lego, don't get me wrong both nice kits but anything beyond twice retail price even for out of print is madness.

Well those two pricings are just silly. I don't know why they even bother with it.

The tow truck second hand can be gotten for about 150eu with a box and instructions. Crane is about 200eu, though 2013 flagship is going to be a crane.

Best thing to do now is to check unofficial lego market place or buying current models. On amazon.fr logging truck and supercar are around 80eu each. That is a lot of lego for the price.

• Advertisement

Do the power functions come with the item?

Not allways. Some kits have none, some kits have the ability to have them added but none inclueded and some kits come with just a motor and battery box while there are some kits that come with 4+ motors and IR sensers/lights/remotes ect ect. The more power function parts the higher the price, assume 10euro extra per power function part nearly.

Some sets are with power function, some sets offers you to buy it as extra, but the power fiction kit is crap. Only medium motor. This being lego you better off buying yourself individually motors, IR sensors, remotes etc.

Something like "4x4 crawler" comes with 2x large motors, 1xservo motor, IR sensor and remote. Great kit as a base if you want remote control and motors for your own projects etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I13566016702421500_1.jpg

I think u bought them off my nephew in Kilkenny?
    8455 is the best pneumatic set, I'm 32 and a big technic fan,iv a few grand spent the last 2 years buying old sets still new in boxes, iv nearly all the flagship sets now.
    Also if people didn't know the best technic set of all time is 8868 air tech claw :) if u ever see one buy it, it's a 1992 set with an air compressor.
    I'm a huge technic fan iv a room alone for them all :)

Any pics? ;)

Here u go :)

• Advertisement

Some nice sets, air tech claw rig boxed is nice, however I have to say some people put to high a value on that set when selling it.

love the 8109, 8110 and 8285.

I am thinking of getting unimog, before it gets rare. It looks like a nice selection of parts for my mocs. flatbed is a great source of black panels too. thinking of getting that one too.

the pneumatics truck is cool and all, but not a hope i would pay that much money for it, even second hand. Its not the nicest looking thing too. cool, but overpriced as hell. i would prefer 8880 myself. some great suspension setup in there.

Derek93 wrote: »
    Some nice sets, air tech claw rig boxed is nice, however I have to say some people put to high a value on that set when selling it.

It sells high because it was voted the best technic set ever, other top sets would be 8421 mobile crane and 8455 backhoe , some of the more modern good sets are 8043,9398 and 8258

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭p_o_s_t_y

Hi,guys I too am a 32 yr old who collects lego minifigs,I actually buy the sets and remove the mini figs and seal back up the bags and put them in the attic.there is a sale/swap on adverts.ie for lego,worth a look.

p_o_s_t_y wrote: »
    Hi,guys I too am a 32 yr old who collects lego minifigs,I actually buy the sets and remove the mini figs and seal back up the bags and put them in the attic.there is a sale/swap on adverts.ie for lego,worth a look.

I thought you only collected minifigs and polybags judging from your adverts posts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement