Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate bar themed cake

Options
  • 26-11-2012 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not entirely sure if this is a cake per se but I've been mulling over doing a sort of homemade giant chocolate bar for a while.

Double Decker or Moro would be my preference.

For the moro I'd want a nougat centre with biscuit in it, covered in caramel and finally covered with chocolate.

The double decker will have a biscuit base (but not the sort of digestive type base like in a cheese cake - crispier), a layer of nougat and covered in chocolate with a bit of coffee.

For both, my preference would be to use 70%+ dark chocolate and serve with ice cream.

Chocolate bars are fairly tough so they wouldn't work as a dessert - you can chew through them but a spoon would struggle to break through, I think. I have to consider that.

I'd appreciate any input. Will this work? I can't imagine I'm the first person to think of it.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Lots of ideas here

Double Decker has been done a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Double deckers & moros are not very recognizable bars without their wrappers, dunno if this is a problem, like if you went to a fancy dress party and had to explain who you are, it doesn't have as much as an impact. While a twix, kitkat or bounty bar with 2 cakes side by side is far more obvious.

You could print out a giant wrapper I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

mmmm giant Moro sounds really yum! If you don't need it too recognisable then I'd go with Moro or Double Decker..depends on your preference. Just because they sound so nice, twix or the like are nice too but with a Moro you get the yummy long lasting toothachey chewyness *drools.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

So long as it looks nice, I don't really care if it's recognisable.

I love both bars so sprucing them up a bit but keeping what makes them yummy was the plan. I'm not making it for anyone. I just got a notion one day while I was enjoying a moro.

So dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate and served with ice cream.

I was going to do it on Sunday.

I'm just going to try it out and if it's a disaster, so be it. It's going to be tricky so it'll probably take a few tries.
    Ultimately, if I end up with a big mush of caramel, nougat and chocolate it won't stop being delicious.
    I was going to use a 2lb loaf tin and just sort of layer things in.

It might turn out that it just doesn't work as a dessert. It might all melt and deform at room temperature or it might be too rigid to be able to eat properly.

Advertisement