Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slingbox

Options
  • 26-11-2012 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Can I buy a sling box in Ireland, hook it up to my sky package/TV and access it in USA. I spend half the year in USA and would like to be able to watch Irish TV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

univer wrote: »
    Can I buy a sling box in Ireland, hook it up to my sky package/TV and access it in USA. I spend half the year in USA and would like to be able to watch Irish TV.

Only just spotted this post, so maybe you are sorted. Peats used to do the Pro version, but I am not sure if they still do. I saw them in Dixons in Dublin airport too, but not in the last year.

I am on my second sling box. I bought the first one from Amazon, but when I went to replace it (it is a fact of life that they often give up the ghost after a couple of years!), I could not get it mailed to Ireland, so I got it from a shop on Ebay. Mind you, that was before I found out about the Parcel Motel.

I have a holiday home in France, and just love the slingbox. In fact I have used it all over the world - watched a rugby match in the Aviva while in Beijing a few years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

I depends on your Irish upload speed. Mine was not really usable due to our poor enough upload speed at home in Ireland

I only have a basic Eircom broadband package and the slingbox works fine. I suspect the picture would be a little better with a better upload speed, but I am happy with what I have. Just installed slinglink on and android and am getting a great picture, though I grudged the 10.99 price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mickodwyer

i have the perfect setup.....

1 free to air sat....tuned to astra 29

2 a receiver which lets you combine terrestrial rte and the foreign channels
    a walker is best they say... i have a triax

3 a slingbox 350 bought
    on amazon for about 200 dol

4 an ipad... special app for sling box about 17 euros

5 works perfectly all do and in mexico i can watch fair city or newsnight...

its all easy ......do it man!!!!!!!!!!!!

mickodwyer wrote: »

3 a slingbox 350 bought

I love to hear stories like this! I follow rugby and watched Leinster v Toulouse in a hotel room in Beijing a few years ago. Last Saturday, while watching Clermont v Munster, it was great to see the extra red light iluminated on the slingbox - friends on holiday in Spain were watching with me. I travel a lot and would be lost without the slingbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Yes.

I have one. Its hooked up to my UPC TV and broadband (20MB) and it works perfectly. It also allows guest log ins and Ipad viewing.

Skinfull wrote: »
    Yes.

I have one. Its hooked up to my UPC TV and broadband (20MB) and it works perfectly. It also allows guest log ins and Ipad viewing.

Interested that you have UPC broadband....I am with Eircom and unless I can get in on the fibre roll out sometime this year, I may switch to UPC because I would expect the slingbox to work better....my upload speed is ropey enough.

Interested in your guest log ins for Ipad - I have the Android app on a tablet. Surprisingly good, but I grudged having to pay for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Since there's already a thread here I figured I wouldn't start a new one. I'm interested in setting up a slingbox at home so I can watch stuff over here.

I currently have a proxy setup on my old machine that's just left running the server at home, the uploads aren't fantastic but streaming matches usually isn't half bad. The machine is getting a bit flaky recently though and I don't have a whole lot of options for what I can watch with it so I figure a dedicated piece of hardware might do the trick.

My question is does the slingbox support saorview. My idea would be to plug an aerial feed into it, I think we still get RTE and BBC OTA at home so hopefully then I'd be able to watch any of those that I want. With a setup like that is it possible to change the channel remotely, since it's a dedicated aerial feed and not coming through a decoder box I figured this wouldn't effect any other TV in the house?

michael here in tipperary

i have satellite and have free channels ie bbc 1..2 4...etc
    i have a receiver that combines saorview and those mentioned channels.
    the one control changes all channels

i have slingbox model 350
    so i have connected the receiver ....to slingbox ......slingbox to modem ....

set it up and free to watch anywhere ...

only a combo receiver lets one do the above and i guess any slingbox model will do the job .
    so good viewing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, that's the setup I'd need I believe, does the Slingbox act as a remote control for the satellite box then too so you can change the channel remotely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Would some nice person like to give me quick crash course on how the Slingbox works? I'd love to send one to my sister in the US and let her use it. She really misses Irish TV.

I have the basic Eircom package, as UPC are not in in my housing estate. My surfing speed for browsing the internet is fine, but if I watch You Tube videos, they tend to break up and stall. And I can get forget about doing a wireless Skype session with my sister on my lap top. They only work if I plug in an old fashioned ethernet cable to my lap top and do it all hard wired. So I don't want to invest in a sling box and not to have it work.

I don't want to invest in a sling box if my internet connection here doesn't support it.

Any tips greatly appreciated. Ta.

You wouldn't send her the slingbox, you set that up in Ireland and she'd have to log into it.

The description of your internet connection doesn't sound promising but you can. Go here to test the speed: http://www.speedtest.net/

Do it a few different times, at different times of the day and days of the week as it will be effected by other people using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks for that. I just did it.

Ping result was 34. Download speed was 13.59mpbs and upload was 0.64mpbs.

Middle of the afternoon, only one device on my network, most of my neigbours would be at work I imagine, so the network is probably pretty uncongested right now. Are those good/bad numbers? I am crap at techie stuff.

spideog7 wrote: »
    Thanks, that's the setup I'd need I believe, does the Slingbox act as a remote control for the satellite box then too so you can change the channel remotely?
    Yes you are right ......when one has set up the slingbox... one is prompted
    to set up the remote control and that as you say controls the satellite box ......
    this on screen remote even looks alike to the physical one...

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ping result was 34. Download speed was 13.59mpbs and upload was 0.64mpbs.
    That's not going to be good enough. It's upload speed that counts, and Slingbox needs a couple of Mb to perform well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

mickodwyer wrote: »

3 a slingbox 350 bought

The saorview approved triax combo tsc14 (sp) doesn't work with the sling-no remote support .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

steve-o wrote: »
    That's not going to be good enough. It's upload speed that counts, and Slingbox needs a couple of Mb to perform well.

Incorrect, I used to have a 400k upload speed and it worked fine.

Little blurry for sport but perfect for everything else.

well,i agree with enfant !

i just accessed my set upand saw the all ireland hurling... rte showed it in hd

perfect job and ive only the basic internet package ...no fibre .......

• Registered Users Posts: 31 univer

Thanks for info, you've been a great help. Now I just have to get off my ass and do something about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

A 400 upload will do the job fine in my experience especially if you have a sling pro HD which will buffer and which you can live pause with.
    Expect your picture to freeze at that type of upload when using the virtual remote but once you send the command it will resume.
    Also be sure your home package is unlimited as 400kb/sec will use up 400x60 so 24mb a minute at home or roughly 1.3 gigs an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 univer

I too am not a techie, I have just dumped my Sky package so I have Saorview and Freeview only. I don't have any box as my tv is pretty new and has built in DBV-S and DBV-T tuners, my Broadband is the best available in my area which is 'up to 15mb download' average is more like 7 or 8 and I just checked my upload and its 0.46 (at 0925) so I imagine this isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I too am not a techie, I have just dumped my Sky package so I have Saorview and Freeview only. I don't have any box as my tv is pretty new and has built in DBV-S and DBV-T tuners, my Broadband is the best available in my area which is 'up to 15mb download' average is more like 7 or 8 and I just checked my upload and its 0.46 (at 0925) so I imagine this isn't enough.

It should work 0.46 is 460k so should work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

steve-o wrote: »

Ive had a slingbox since they first came out and have had the same crappy irish "broadband" since then also. Slingbox works fine and I dont think i have ever went over the 1 mb upload speed.

I wouldnt be streaming hd stuff though so I guess if you want to do that you need an excellent upload speed.

Advertisement