Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operating System Deployment Tools

Options
  • 26-11-2012 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Sorry for a second thread, but it's a seperate topic.

I'm also researching OS deployment tools such as Microsoft Deployment Toolkit.

For example, say you have 100 PC's in a company and you want to install Win 7, Microsoft Office and all the same drivers, etc on all of them.

From my reading I take it that you can create a master image of what you want installed, go to central location like a PC or Server and install the the image across the network onto each PC automatically from that one location rather than have to walk around to each PC and install one by one, correct?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Sounds like you're looking for a combination of Pxe booting with Active Directory - http://www.lockstockmods.net/2008/05/26/easy-way-to-pxe-boot-windows/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭tech

MS WDS Server and PXE boot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

It's quite easy if you are already using Microsoft System Center on your network. You can deploy full machine images with everything ready to go sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Thanks guys. It's college research I'm doing. I just have to compare features on diff OS deployment tools. I know the programs I'm looking at just wanted to make sure I have a decent grasp with how these things work. From my example would I be about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

1 - Microsoft Deployment Toolkit
    2 - Unattended Installation using setup.exe
    3 - Windows Deployment Services
    4 - Sysprep for creating and deploying disk images

• Advertisement
Advertisement