Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much did you pay for it?

• 26-11-2012 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭

For those that missed it in the other thread.
    I've setup a Google spreadsheet that we're updating with prices of retro stuff we buy from eBay, Amazon, Adverts etc.

So far it's off to a good start and I can see it being quite useful to see what other people are paying for their retro purchases so that we're not overpaying and as a general guide.

If you want in then PM me your google account email address and I'll add you on to the list of people with access.

You can't put how much you paid for anything from other members here on A&R without permission, or maybe not at all. Whatever people want I guess.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sorry if I missed it, but if A&R regulars are free to access the page, why have it locked out like that at all?
    I mean, if revealing the money involved in private deals between members is "frowned on" now, I must have missed a memo, then the rest is just Adverts/Sunday Market/Ebay and the like.
    Why not just post them in the ...something new thread that already exists, if you like.
    Not really sure what a private page, off the forum achieves.

I'm not being critical, nor am I suggesting that it is contrary to the inclusive nature of the A&R forum.
    I would observe that it will be likely that it will be Steve that moderates it, seeing as you have set it up and any issues will be outside the pervue of the A&R moderators.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents, have fun!

And remember, this should not prohibit posting of prices, if you want to post them, to the main A&R forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Its more just a pricing reference Cidey, like a sheet to be able to look up & quickly reference a price etc. Its private because you couldn't have it public & have all sorts adding to it, corrupting the actual point of it.

I don't have a google account though, me no likey big brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

same here, don't have a google account, and don't want to create one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It's private for the moment. I only created it today and have not had time to go over the fine details of the best way to have it set up.
    It can be made public and viewable by everyone(with or without a Google account).

Edit:
    Just to clarify, it can be made viewable for everyone but not editable by everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A few points -

I hunt for cheap items. That's part of the fun for me. I'd like to be able to show people I know here what you can get stuff for if you really try - this is not information I want to share with the world.

It is sensitive data - your collection has a certain value to it. Again, you don't want the world seeing how cheap you can get some items for, potentially devaluing what you own.

I'd also like to have a tab sharing links to amazing deals we spot. I do throw up a lot of things in the links thread, but there are certain ones so good that I'd rather one of you guys got it and not some random non contributor to the forum who happens to click the link.

I'd rather not have the world able to read what I spend on stuff. If it was public then I'd wouldn't be entering anything on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

o1s1n wrote: »

I'd also like to have a tab sharing links to amazing deals we spot. I do throw up a lot of things in the links thread, but there are certain ones so good that I'd rather one of you guys got it and not some random non contributor to the forum who happens to click the link.

I'm more of a lurker/occasional poster on this forum but why dont ye make a social group on here and make it invite only.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/group.php?do=create
    (I'm assuming if you tick the "Users must join to view the content" box it will keep it private, I'm open to correction here though)

At least then if you find a bargain that you decide not to go for you can link it there and pass it on to the users who contribute here rather than any random lurkers.

ahyeahok wrote: »
    I'm more of a lurker/occasional poster on this forum but why dont ye make a social group on here and make it invite only.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/group.php?do=create
    (I'm assuming if you tick the "Users must join to view the content" box it will keep it private)

At least then if you find a bargain that you decide not to go for you can link it there and pass it on to the users who contribute on here rather than any random lurkers.

Fantastic idear!

I'm not 100% familiar with those groups but it looks to me that you can keep it private. Anyone on here know if my idea is correct or not? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I'm not 100% familiar with those groups but it looks to me that you can keep it private. Anyone on here know if my idea is correct or not? :D

You're correct. I joined a private DayZ group a good while back and all content is private to members of the group. Access is by invite only.

Setting one up now...bare with me

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    You're correct. I joined a private DayZ group a good while back and all content is private to members of the group. Access is by invite only.

You could have two separate threads on the group, one for extreme bargains and another for "how much you paid it "(if you wanna disclose that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I like the sound of that, I often see stuff that may not be of interest to me but another poster may be after it, I know the lads over on the fighting games forum had a publicly editable document that was defaced by some clown.

I've sent out invites for the group, do they show up?

Ok its set up, if you want access or I've forgotten anyone who mentioned interest, just ask.

I'm gonna transfer ownership of the group now to Cidey if he's willing? Seems only fair, this is his neck of the woods & born of this forum :)

Wow, it's like a party in A&R, and everyone's invited

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The thing is,
    If it was common knowledge that, like my recent Cave Shmup acquisition, a game was available for far less than assumed, in my case I got it off of a Amazon.co.uk seller for a good 2/3rds less than the typical price online, £50 instead of a more typical £150 for Ibara.

I would want that info out there in the hopes that such pricing becomes typical rather than atypical.
    Otherwise the RAGE's of this world will just continue to use the upper pricing echelons of ebay to define their own pricing structure, alienating the more "budget conscious" retro gamers out there, and in here.

But, if peeps really want to keep their "sources" close to their chests then so be it, I guess it's like an antique dealer keeping his best sources to himself as well, except he can't play Border Down on a Chesterfield sofa... well he can, but he'll be sitting on it and using a Dreamcast!

you'd have to think about the selling aspect though Cidey.
    if said member was to ever want to sell Ibara, they'd probably want to get what they paid or more, so keeping it a secret might be better then.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The thing is,
    If it was common knowledge that, like my recent Cave Shmup acquisition, a game was available for far less than assumed, in my case I got it off of a Amazon.co.uk seller for a good 2/3rds less than the typical price online, £50 instead of a more typical £150 for Ibara.

I would want that info out there in the hopes that such pricing becomes typical rather than atypical.

Your forgetting Rule Of Retro Acquisition #3 - The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

But, if peeps really want to keep their "sources" close to their chests then so be it, I guess it's like an antique dealer keeping his best sources to himself as well, except he can't play Border Down on a Chesterfield sofa... well he can, but he'll be sitting on it and using a Dreamcast!

There's a difference though between saying you got a good deal in a thread where it's going to vanish off the page, and having a spreadsheet with everything listed for all to see.

I'm not a big meanie, I'd like to share my sources with ye lot.

But at the same time, I don't want to be driving down the price of some of my more expensive items by sharing that info with the wider gaming community.

There's a difference though between saying you got a good deal in a thread where it's going to vanish off the page, and having a spreadsheet with everything listed for all to see.

But at the same time, I don't want to be driving down the price of some of my more expensive items by sharing that info with the wider gaming community.

Feck the wider community, we're all in this together...batton down the hatches I say coz its dog eat dog out there :D

• Advertisement

Where's that eBay seller with the tasty PCB list? Or where did Steve_SI get that Batrider full kit for a decent price? Come on folks, spill the beans, lets have all yer trade secrets. ;)

Still on the fence about this, no idea what to make of it other than private sales between members here should be kept private. Imo of course.

Still on the fence about this, no idea what to make of it other than private sales between members here should be kept private. Imo of course.

I think in that case, maybe we'll stick to Ebay, Adverts {non regulars} & any other place we buy from. Leave private member sales just that, private?

Actually here's another avenue, could we use the private group to facilitate sales between ourselves too??

Master of the Universe

Where's that eBay seller with the tasty PCB list? .

PM sent! - just be warned, there's neither a list or prices. It's all about the guessing game with that seller.
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Actually here's another avenue, could we use the private group to facilitate sales between ourselves too??

Genius!!!

Genius!!!

*dusts off shoulders

*dusts off shoulders

Dandruff?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Can i get in on this? cheers

Dandruff?

Maybe, but they're flakes of WIN! :D
    keithgeo wrote: »
    Can i get in on this? cheers

Ah yeah, the minute sales are mentioned they come scurrying from under the wood :D Joking :p

Invites are dished out by our good mod Cidey now, I passed on the group to him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

you'd have to think about the selling aspect though Cidey.
    if said member was to ever want to sell Ibara, they'd probably want to get what they paid or more, so keeping it a secret might be better then.

Ciderman is never going to sell up, when he goes he's getting buried in the field behind him. His tomb will be lined with all his systems akin to an Egyptian pharaoh. On the headstone an inscription will read "I actually quite liked Golden Axe"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Me too, interest to see how much my naive impulse buying is costing me !!

You should do a entry request statement like the soccer forum..
    I would like to join the soccer forum Arcade & Retro - GET! City. I have read and ignored the Arcade & Retro - GET! City charter and agree to abide by the rules of the Ciderman. The two identifier words are Boulder and Dash.

I think in that case, maybe we'll stick to Ebay, Adverts {non regulars} & any other place we buy from. Leave private member sales just that, private?

Ah whatever the majority think is best. That was just my personal feeling on it. :)

This would be excellent. Crying shame it's not allowed on the main A&R forum. I haven't the patience to deal with time wasters on Adverts nor want to give a % to eBay if I can find a trustworthy local buyer. Would save me firing off targeted PM's too (although they work very well).

This would be excellent. Crying shame it's not allowed on the main A&R forum. I haven't the patience to deal with time wasters on Adverts nor want to give a % to eBay if I can find a trustworthy local buyer. Would save me firing off targeted PM's too (although they work very well).

Indeed, it'd be a great way to bypass the main sites & just deal between ourselves :) Can't beat selling to/buying from someone you know who's reputable etc

Where's that eBay seller with the tasty PCB list? Or where did Steve_SI get that Batrider full kit for a decent price? Come on folks, spill the beans, lets have all yer trade secrets. ;)

Well, I put a huge effort in and hit Japan between 5-10 times a year(a big drain on money and time but starting to pay off in the last couple of years and something I'll need for future plans). Build up a contact/friend here and there and sometimes find something or get contacted about something I might want for a decent price.

A lot of the retro stuff I get from Japan is from contacts/friends who wouldn't sell to anyone else at the prices I get so I cant exactly post a link to them as it would be pointless(a lot of the time they just walk into a shop and buy the stuff for me after talking to me on the phone/email/IM/facebook).
    What I will nearly always do is say how much it cost though unless its an obnoxious amount that shouldn't be posted on a public forum(certain things I'll never tell :)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Can I be included?

• Advertisement

Ah whatever the majority think is best. That was just my personal feeling on it. :)

Regarding sales in the A&R forum...

Now, I'm not so sure about sales in a private forum.
    I will have to offer that one up to the people who moderate and know what they are doing.
    I am assured there is one or two with the required skill set, but not this soldier.....

Ok, so I'll leave that document as private and those with access can update it or just view how much stuff can be got for.

It will need to be used by most of the members here to be of any real use but it's there if people want to use it and will stay private so people don't need to worry about non member seeing it.

As for getting faster or more private alerts to bargains from members here, we can use the group that's been setup or I can setup something a bit better if there's any real interest in it.

Steve SI wrote: »
    As for getting faster or more private alerts to bargains from members here, we can use the group that's been setup or I can setup something a bit better if there's any real interest in it.

Better than boards? Blasphemy :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

here cidey/enternow xcan someone throw us a group invite? ta!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Hope this party didnt start without me, fire me an invite there please!

• Advertisement

Still waiting on my re-invite too, damn oap's :D

Master of the Universe

Hope this party didnt start without me, fire me an invite there please!

Just as a reminder - this is a clothes on party :p

Yeah, its also a no onesie zone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Double whammy!

The hamster minders have agreed to sort out the bug regards creating new discussions in the group - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81959478#post81959478

This party's just getting started!

CkXUW.jpg

To those who got invitations, do they arrive as a pm or do I need to look elsewhere?

To those who got invitations, do they arrive as a pm or do I need to look elsewhere?

I didn't notice a pm , i just went and found the group.

If you click on social groups you will see A&R Retro Get! City listed on the right side of the page as a new group.
    Click on it and you should see an accept invitation box somewhere.. I think.

I didn't notice a pm , i just went and found the group.

If you click on social groups you will see A&R Retro Get! City listed on the right side of the page as a new group.
    Click on it and you should see an accept invitation box somewhere.. I think.

Yep tried that, no joy. I think Cidey is posting from his phone so maybe thats the issue. I'll have to wait for out good mod to get settled in at home :)

Yeah same here, I feel left out :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement