Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish military hat

• 26-11-2012 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I was up in the attic of my new house that my aunt used to own until she passed away and found what looks to be an old Irish uniform hat. The hat is made by Meade and I cannot get in touch with them and dont know if they are still open.

The hat looks very old and from Google images looks the very same has hats used around 1916 to mi 1920s.
    My great grandad fought for Ireland around this time too.

Could this hat be that old.

Did Meade of D.14 make uniform hats back then..

Could somebody help me out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 autronica

alicaffrey wrote: »
    I was up in the attic of my new house that my aunt used to own until she passed away and found what looks to be an old Irish uniform hat. The hat is made by Meade and I cannot get in touch with them and dont know if they are still open.

The hat looks very old and from Google images looks the very same has hats used around 1916 to mi 1920s.

If you can post a pic I am sure there will somebody here who can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

There is a Militaria section in boards under Collectables & Antiques, those lads know their beans.

I had an Irish Rail cap by the same makers, so I'd hazard a guess it isn't that old. The Defence forces haven't changed the style of their gear in donkeys years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Paddy Meade died last year or the year before as far as I'm aware. I'm not sure if his father or grandfather were hatters, but he was. A friend of mine had a glengarry made by him in the last 5-6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Really needs a photo. Things like that are very collectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 allymeade

Hello,
    Maybe I can add to this old post,
    I'm just starting to research this family history. My grandfather Peter started this business. I don't know when or where.
    It was based in Middle Abbey St. under the name P. Meade Cap Maker and made various uniform caps and horse racing colours and was carried on by my father William.
    William, along with two of my uncles and aunt, took part in the 1916 Rising. I'm try to find out whether Peter was making caps then.
    My brother Dermot took it over after around 1970 and may have moved later to D12.
    I'm not sure how privacy controls work on these boards but if I can get your email I'll certainly pass on any further information I find.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Try sending the OP a private message. It's unlikely he'll look here after all this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

alicaffrey wrote: »

The OP (original poster), has not logged on to boards.ie since October 2014.

Advertisement