Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NSR 80, 125, Best bike starting off?

• 26-11-2012 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm going to be sitting my theory test sometime after the 7th of December.

I'll be 16 then, anyways I'm finding it difficult to find a suitable motorbike for a reasonable price.

I don't want a scooter, for many reasons, but I was looking at the Honda NSR 80 or the 125. Both look nice and would suit my needs.

Just wondering where the best place is to start looking? I tried DoneDeal and adverts and gumtree and to be honest I'm not finding anything.

Much appreciated!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Will you get insured on an NSR 125 at 16 years of age??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You would be better off with a CBF, YBR or a similar 4 stroke, 2 strokes are nice but need a lot more care and fettling than a 4 stroke plus parts are getting harder to get for those bikes, they haven't been sold for some time now.
    Insurance will be a lot higher for strokers as well as they tend to get stolen more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Yeah you'd do well to get the 125 insured. Get a non sportsbike 125. Varadero 125 or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

paddy147 wrote: »
    Will you get insured on an NSR 125 at 16 years of age??

Will do, but at a nasty price. haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sidewaysevo

o jaysus cost ya a fortune to be insuring one of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

The insurance would cost more than the bike OP! Take CJhaughey and AgileMyth advice on board. Tbh a 50cc mighn't be what you what but if you have it a year or two you can build up some trust with your insurer and get your premium down.

You won't be able to insure it at 16, 21kw will be over the max kilowattage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Speedy199

Varadero 125, ybr 125 or a keeway speed 125(look the exact same as a ybr). virago, shadow, cg 125, cbf 125, suzuki gn125 but they tend to get uncomfortable on long journeys. theres a list! now go try each one with your insurance and then you have the bike you want.

EDIT: 3 of my buddies had nsr 80's, The bike loved oil, lacked power and you get bored very fast. 2 of them sold their bike after 4 months of driving them. 3rd one crashed it haha. Plus you most definetly will not get insured on a nsr 125 at 16.

Speedy199 wrote: »

EDIT: 3 of my buddies had nsr 80's, The bike loved oil,
    How can a two stroke love oil?
    They just burn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Speedy199

CJhaughey wrote: »
    How can a two stroke love oil?
    They just burn it.

They love oil as in they burn alot of it and need alot of it! no need to analyze it:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Right,

Thanks for the advice, think I'll just stick to a scooter, comparing the difference in the insurance, the scooter looks like a better option for now.

Speedy199 wrote: »
    They love oil as in they burn alot of it and need alot of it! no need to analyze it:confused:
    It just sounds strange,when referring to a 2 stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dejopadu

i started on a nsr80. was great fun, but expensive insurance & i had to carry spare oil around all d time - both as mentioned above.

you clearly sound interested in bikes so i would NOT buy a scooter/moped, there lots of other options although not sports type....varadero 125 / gn 125 / yamDT 125 / etc.... u need to look at more bikes, u could even go for a honda wave (couriers choice) or honda 50or cub90, anything with gears will be more fun than a scooter

PS - u gotta start somewhere, first timer so insurance will not be cheap

also....didnt aprilla do a 50cc sports bike ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

dejopadu wrote: »
    i started on a nsr80. was great fun, but expensive insurance & i had to carry spare oil around all d time - both as mentioned above.

you clearly sound interested in bikes so i would NOT buy a scooter/moped, there lots of other options although not sports type....varadero 125 / gn 125 / yamDT 125 / etc.... u need to look at more bikes, u could even go for a honda wave (couriers choice) or honda 50or cub90, anything with gears will be more fun than a scooter

PS - u gotta start somewhere, first timer so insurance will not be cheap

also....didnt aprilla do a 50cc sports bike ???
    I grew up around bikes and I did a year on a moped when I was 16. It was great.

Advertisement